www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

removing loctite

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

removing loctite

okay so i finally dug out a few old bolts that i need to use and most of them have their threads filled with loctite.

ive tried to dig it out with a scribe and stanley knife but that didnt work to well so i was having a think about using a solvent to remove it.

would anybody know if you can soak a bolt in metho or turpentine or something to remove the loctite?

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

a Wire Brush wheel on your grinder or dremel (if youre patient) works best for removing loctite in my experience..

I'm not aware of any solvent that disolves it.. maybe someone else is.. have you hunted around loctites website ?

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah i had a bit of a hunt and all the advice i could find was regarding the use of a wire brush and the use of a nut or die to run up and down the thread.

i was just curious if it would work with those two chemicals as ive got it laying around and couldnt find anything about the use of them as loctite removers on any webpages.

HOWEVER as stupid as it may sound, coke is suggested on a couple of forums as a way to remove loctite, and scary as it sounds i feel it may be working Shocked

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:36 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

For removing loctite, as I have done on many occasion I have used a small screw driver, run around the thread to chip it out, the best I could, then added some more loctite, to use the bolt / nut again.

As a solvent Coke is one of the best cleaners you can bye, and it's easy to get.

I have used it for cleaning

old coins
Aluminium
copper
brass
old bolts clogged with crap
old tools that are rusted
and many other things

so keep two in your fridge. One for cleaning the other for drinking.

What is the difference between the different Loctites.
The loctite family is vast, and can get confusing if your not use to then, so here is a list of the range that I have used, and for what purpose.

222 Thread Lock. Good for environments with a little vibration. can still undue the bolt/nut easily.

242 Thread Lock. Good for environments with a constant vibration. can still undue the bolt/nut reasonably easily. (if using m4 size or less use 222)

262 Stud Lock. Good for holding threaded Studs in place, or for holding bolts / nuts in extreme vibration environments. (m6 would be the smallest size. I would recomend only m8 or larger)

601 Bearing retainer. This is for holding bearings or gears onto shafts. Not for the faint hearted. Unless you have all the correct equipment you will not get the gear (or bearing) off the shaft. I know, I have done it many a time, and every time I have done it I think I am going to break something.

680 Bearing retainer. Same as above but stronger.

401 glue (not sure of the name) I have used it for joining Perspex, Aluminium, and various other items.

For most of the things that we are doing the 242 will do the job. But for the extreme and larger bolts use 262.
For 601 & 680. Use only for retaining gears and bearings.
DO NOT USE A GRUB SCREW, FOR ANY REASON,
and remember if you want to take the gear or bearing off at some time, get a very good gear puller and a good heat gun.
(Do not use on bolts, as you will just bust the bolt when trying to undo.)

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:37 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yep, wire brush is the best bet. To make it quicker, try holding the offending bolt in a drill & spinning it. That's faster and easier on your hands.

Since Loctite is related to domestic super glue, perhaps the comercial solvents remove it? I also heard that girl's nail varnish remover works on super glue but no guarantees on that tip...

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:36 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

It can be softened with a flame use a small butane torch and heat it but not enough to untemper the bolt while its hot undo the nut or if you just want to remove it from a bare bolt wire brush it while its hot .

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:21 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

@ nick i think you meen nail varnish remover because the vanish will just add clog to the thread that would be like using paint to get rid of paint =D

they all sound good and yeha the wire brush is probably the best but for speedy results that save your fingures from the brush its'self follow bretts advice.

you can try coke because of its disolving properties. also on that note dont you find it funny that we all have drunk cleaning fluid by drinking coke it makes you wonder what it does to your insides lol

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:42 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I find common Acetone (nail polish remover) softens loctite 406, 460 and 480 very nicely but doesn't work too well on loctite 401.
Loctite should be able to provide technical datasheets on their products which should tell you what to use to remove the glues.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger