RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

meet your fellow roboteers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

meet your fellow roboteers

Well!
I thought this sort of post was needed, so here it is! It would be good if everyone added a post, telling us a little about themselves. Please refrain from chatting here. Wink

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:52 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ok, I'll start with myself!
Keeping and breeding rare tropical shell dwelling cichlids (fish),
Growing cacti and
Creating things (and taking apart things, more of a habit really Laughing )

I joined this forum because of my long interest in combat robitics. I got it from robot wars, which was on TV a few years back (I WISH IT WENT ON AGAIN!) and I wish to soon build my own, but my dad isn't very good at this sort of thing (we dont even own a drill!) so... ...I took it in my own hands to learn, so I found this site!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Last edited by dyrodium on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:58 am 
andrew

Well i am now 16 (nearly 17) and My name is Andrew Welch but all call me Welchy or big W or some other nickname.
I live in castle hill sydney.

I joined because for w while i have always like rc cars, hotrod cars (none of this plastic subwoofer pumping crap) more like Gary's one at ahnialator and similar ones. I also love motor bikes (classic choppers) but goodness knows i shall never own one and i love tinkering and fixing things and learning new skills.

I joined this crazy sport because throughout my life i have always been the odd one out as everyone would take the high road and i would take the low road sort of thing. Watched Robot wars when it first came on and really liked the wrong elements and doing something that nobody has ever done plus they were cool machines so i did research and looked about on net and stuff and learned how to do it. My first robot sucked and basically i am now starting to do it right but the good thing is i am learning how to make things and thats cool.

Pretty much this is my life now and most if not all money goes into robots and mechanical projects.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:37 am 
chris

Ok my turn. I'm the clubs youngest member! I am 12, very soon to be 13. I started watching robotwars when it was on and being the internet freak that i am I looked around the net and realised it was a big thing and decided to get involved and I found the then ARWO forum!

I love robots and I dont intend to stop no matter what!!
C'ya from chris

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:57 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well im 16 in year 12 now and i got into this because it was the only thing that could allow me to destroy my toys without getting in trouble for it Very Happy

why i got into it? because i was watching robot wars and was slagging off a robot called miss-ile and my sister said 'like to see you build something better'

so here i sit, 1 year and 5 months down the track and 5 robots later i am the nsw champion at the moment w00t!

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

ok well im 17 and live in blacktown went and learned that i loved to make and break things a long time ago and well when robowars came on in the summer of 1999 i watched i taped and i re-watched and thought this is my ticket to get away with my destructive habits sadly and funnly the only thing to be destroyed is my bot and i found that as exciting as winning a match however loosing with out the destruction i find very disheartining Very Happy

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:11 pm 
aeldric

Wow. Teenagers who builds robots. Impressive. The future of Australia is safe in hands like that - but I am suddenly feeling old. I won't even say just how old.... but I am a programmer who learned to program on punch cards.

I have worked most of my working life as a programmer, but I have done stints as a lecturer, sports coach, van driver and some assorted military stuff. I live in Melbourne with my wife, a roomfull of Science Fiction books, 3 PCs, 2 Macs, 3 servers (1 fileserver, 1 IIS Web server, 1 LINUX/Apache Web Server), a bunch of network cables and a garage full of bits of robots and old computers.

Building software for robots is my therapy. It keeps me sane... work drives me nuts. Yes robots are expensive - but cheaper than psychiatrist's fees.

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:03 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Dont wory Alderic
There are a few of us seniors lukring about building crazy robots as well ..im 40 something and got involved through my teenage nephew we have been building robots for about 3 years now . we have a shed full of feathers and one heavy weight .. i am basicly a jack of all trades master of none ive tinkered all sorst of things like solar power home made air conditioning wind generators mud buggys i am also interested in stirling engines although i havent as yet bult one ive been tinkering with ideas that might work .. i also repair mowers and small engines as a side line for pocket money am into worm farming and organic vegies and all sorts of other stuf .. am just learning a litle about computers but slowly i think the grey matter is starting to thicken with age as it takes me a lot more time these days to grasp a concept than it used to lol ..

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:44 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm Aaron Knight, I'm 17 years old in just a few days. Just about to finish year 12 and head to a university to hopefully study computer games programming. I got in the the sport of robot combat when relative Andrew(totaly Recycled) suggested about building a robot for the UK show. Have been in it from the beginning, I'm one of the few original ARWO/ABBL members from the time of Katana's Evil Reign.....

I've learnt a lot in the years of competiting with robots. Gone from a computer game addictee to a guy who can now go out and wire up electronic diagrams, solder NiCD's together, program IC chips and Cut a straight line with a jigsaw Smile I also tinker endlessly in Rhino 3D improving my CAD skills to higher levels by setting myself challenges. I've also had a bit of RC experince in my very short time of RC car street racing in Mackay (Got kicked out of the car park by security Evil or Very Mad )

Aeldric, if your a punch card programmer, I would say, your in the early to late 40's Wink

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:48 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, I'm only 35, and the one of first computer I ever used had pencil-mark cards.. you had to color in the boxes with a shiny pencil and feed it through a reader.. which went "click" if it had a mistake on it..

One of the teachers said he wanted to use it for marking his students multiple-choice test results, but when he fed the cards through there were so many mistakes that it made a horrible farting noise, so he gave up and went back to his red pencil..
Wink

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aeldric

Aaron, that guess is pretty right.

And may I say that it is a pleasure to hear about teenagers who can build robots, wire up electronics and work with CAD.

You guys give me some hope that this country has a future.

David C.
Team SubKor

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:59 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well, we're actually 2 people. Identical twins infact. 22 years old. I graduated from Uni a few weeks back and work as a full time Engineering drafter and my AutoCAD teacher at TAFE is threating to make me teach the Inventor classes. My brother works as an electronic assembler making endoscopes and such things.
We first saw combat robots on an add on TV for the Robot Wars Internation League Championships about 5 years ago and had our frist design 10 mins later. But it took about 3 years before we started work on Hellbringer. Have been trying to keep it simple since then.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

thats cool and aaron you sound like me with the whole games thing i wanted to do that but now i wanna open a shop here that sells parts and things for the robot enthusiast at lower prices thant eh over seas mobs

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:24 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I was thinking that something like that would be cool. If some of you guys worked together, you probably would be able to by an outercity factory shed (large) on the edge of sydney (mabey even marayong!) and make it Australia's own robowars HQ! It could have a standard arena, sozbot or ant arena and that much anticipated OFF ROAD arena! You could host bot building coarses (i'd be your first applicant) and, hey, you might even attract TV interest, and start a ROBOWARS CHAMPIONSHIP! (no more "going overseas to do it" sort of stuff for ya!) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sorry, but it's been on my mind for a while. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:38 pm 
andrew

Well it would be cool but there is one factor. Money.
Plus people having to give up there job to start this business and organiseing bills and costs on parts and services and such.

Nice thought but a no no in reality.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:25 pm