www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Damage
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Damage

So with the upcoming battles, i can see many robots getting damage that will cost a bit to fix. I was thinking about this, i know if i was fighting someone with say a cruncher bot and it crunched my IBC (not that i have one but for example) then i would be pretty upset, not at them, but at me, because it would cost a lot to replace!
At the Maryong event it seemed the people with IBC's did not have any extra armour on them, they were just inside the bot. I know weight is an issue but now there will be robots that can do a lot of damage to your robot, i would armour up bits of my robot that need extra protection, such as IBC or controler etc.
I personally want to build a cruhser robot, i do not think i will have time in the week i will have to get a good one working, plus i need too see what my teammate Courtney wants too! I know if i had a crusher or a spinner and i broke someones IBC i would be pretty upset, i would not want to do that to anyone, i personally would try and disable a bot without making it unrepairable. If i had a crusher i would specially avoid crushing an area where an IBC or controller was. I know this is kinda against the idea of robot wars, you should do whatever it takes to stop them, but since we are starting out then i think we could afford to be a little careful sometimes

I know everyone will most likley agree with this idea, and if a bot was disabled poeple would not keep attacking it just to destroy it.

I just found this interesting, because we all spend so much time and effort to make a robot and are fully aware it could be scrap in 30 seconds.

One idea i thought of for a little extra armour for important bits without much extra weight is this metal hobby boxes you can buy from places like Dicksmith, place your important bits in one just for a little extra safety Smile
plus there are plenty of other ways, build a box out of polycarb etc

So what are other peoples thoughts on this?

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:16 pm 
andrew

I aggree. If it is a accident then tahts one thing but going at it especially well then thats a bit much.

Also if a robot attacks when i am disabled to try and destroy it then i would be super pissed also.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:35 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Interesting topic, was having the same conversation with Brett the other day, After watching the intersate DVDs it became obvious that a couple of the lifters had a delay before the arm came down and they leave themselves vulnerrable to get their guts ripped out. I feel bad already because i dont want to destroy electronics but a reflex action can do some damage and lets face it, everyone wants to win. IN the Melbourne event I lost my areial had no control and got pounded till the end leaving some damage but isnt that the sport.
This is fair warnng to you lifters that hesitate to close, you will be attacked in your soft spot so get some lexan or something or put a bungee cord on your arm or be mindful. Unfortunately 4 u my jaws can fit in your body and probably give you a belly ache so think about that. Sounds like we need to establish a tap out rule system but no coming back in the comp if you tapped out.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:07 pm 
andrew

the tap out rule means u lose and that the opponent MUST stop attacking.

Just watched a video then of sir alos and ntertainment (12 lbs of irritation rebuilt) and alos gave a late hit after ntertainment tapped out. The other people went nuts at him. Very funny.

I wouldnt say u be out of the comp for tapping out. Just lose that match and go into losers mellee of whatever.

I think i am the first tap out person ever as i was dead (stripped gears and switches being gay) and was scared that sorry would chop off my aerial.

We need this rule to be put into action and enforced and no late hits etc after a tap out.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well prong (dammit still cant remember the name! its lindsay isnt it?)

but i havent seen a robot capable of doing such substantial damage to a robot as to get near an IBC, annihilation is the only one that comes close but with the blade being way up at what, 120mm i dont think it will be a major concern (prove me wrong! Very Happy )

hey if someone puts their IBC sitting next to the 1mm aluminium side panel and it gets busted well hey arent you stupid for putting it there...

i for one dont believe in tap-outs, that just isnt the nature of the game. your robot should be able to take as much punishment as possible, and really IBCs placed next to 1mm aluminium and aerials ready to get cut off isnt exactly trying to hard...

i for one have 10mm of lexan top and bottom on the robot with the IBC in a plastic box with foam on the top and bottom, no axe or crusher (hydraulic maybe..) will get to it. as for the metal box aaron and them use a thin steel box but i dont think that would help if the spinner that ripped it out of the robot decides to slam it.

quote:
Sounds like we need to establish a tap out rule system but no coming back in the comp if you tapped out.

i love it! that should discourage america like tapouts - oh look theres a cut in my armour oh the drama lets tap out..

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

If i am disabled though and or somethin is broken of getting broken then i will tap out. no use staying there watching yoru robot get beaten to smitherines if u cant move or anything. Not a fair match then.

Also Glen i repeat if u tap out u lose the match not get booted out of the competition.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

for sure tapouts should be allowed, but i would like the repecussions (sp?) of doing so to be a little harsher.. mainly to disallow tapouts from happening (and hence encouraging people to make sronger more reliable robots....)

[/quote]

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm i dont know about tapouts, seems people could abuse it to tapout as soon as they are losing, but then again i dont think anyone here would do that.
Also i know if i disabled another bot then i would not keep attacking it, once you have disabled it then you have pretty much won, so why damage it for no reason? the point is to build a robot that can win, not one that can take damage while it sits there and you have no control!

Who here would keep attacking a bot once you had disabled it?

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:38 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

ONe has to ask what determines if a bot is disabled. if it gets flipped upside down and cant move some might say that bot is disabed but that same disabled bot might get flipped again near end of match and disable you and win so how would you feel that you didnt finish the job because it was deemed disabled. Just a thought

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:09 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

depends on the robot and whats in it.....

if it was a bodgy bot like screwy with switch controllers and cost $10 and took a day to put it together and i had a big time spinner i would quite gladly take it apart.

although if it was something like haemmoraghe say with IBCs and hundreds of ours of build time i would just leave it.

all a matter of personal preference, i wouldnt condemn anyone if they said they would keep killing a robot afters its KO'd. neither should any of you, its a risk you take putting the thing in the arena.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:13 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The flipside of a strict tap out rule: if you don't tap out is it OK for your opponent to use any and all means of attack?

I am all for keeping on until my bot is chopped up and has no hope of winning, but tapping out at that point is only sensible and safe. Case in point: in the finals match between Minotaur & Scrap last December, I tapped out when it was obvious I had zero radio control and the penalty was not getting the trophy.

If we have formal tap out rule, then competitors must expect to receive the maximum aggression and damage without whinging about it, as they are essentially in charge of the amount of damage done to their bot

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:15 pm 
TeamFroggy

In these still early stages, we really can't afford to destroy more bots than we have to. I don't like the idea of tapping out, but if in a battle the opposition says "Stop, my IBC is in there" then I would stop, I don't want to destroy 6 months worth of some kids pocket money. I think we are fair enough "sportsmen" to know when a robot is disabled/counted out and stop with the destruction.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:03 pm 
andrew

Exactle. Thank u marshal.
Basically put forth. I will only tap out of my robot is dead and after teh opponent gets some taps in if eh likes. If the damage looks pretty bad though after those taps then i will tap out.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:22 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Its late and I have to head to bed in a mo, but just briefly..

I have no problem with tap outs at this stage of the competition.. sure, as soon as you have confirmed a tap-out, you forfeit the match (not the competition), but there is no requirement to allow someone to chew you to pieces after you have surrendered.. this is poor sportsmanship.

The only time I think I wouldnt tap out would be if was the finals or semi finals, and there was major Television coverage, and I knew that I wouldnt be trying to return for a second fight (double elim) or similair, in which case, the more carnage, the better your chances of making it to air...

Right now, while we are still battling in small venue's and in private, destroying someones bot who has surrendered would just be mean..

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:06 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Firstly Glen, yes Prong=Lindsay, Bort=Courtney. I'm the short one Smile

[Begin Rant]

I think everyone who sends their bot into the arena should expect to retrieve it via a dustpan and vacuum cleaner. The chances are that it won't happen, but you know the risks.

Sportspeople don't complain about injuries incurred by the opposition playing the game hard, and this sport is no different. However, having said that this sport is still in its local stage of development and as such the gatherings have a social/club meet like atmosphere. You wouldn't expect a player of a social game of rugby to play too hard. But you would still know that you might get hurt.

If we went onto Robot Wars or Battlebots would you expect mercy from Hypnodisc or the like? They always seemed to keep after them. Perhaps with the level of competition like this then I would like to think people would show mercy.

A person at the annihilator who causes considerable damages to someone's bot intentionally in expensive areas would be perfectly in their rights to do so, however they would probably have violated something that some people just don't understand, 'ettiquette'.

Now some people may say, "its what the sport is about". Is it? I thought the aim was to win. Is the aim of boxing to knock the other bloke out? No its just one way, if it happens then so be it, but you aim to win. Rules that allow for withdrawal are important for safety, in this case for financial and emotional safety.

A callous attack on another bot would be viewed as poorly as a cowardly withdrawal. I hope that people would do neither.

[End Rant]

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:15 am