RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars II - The Wreckoning - 18 & 19 December 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

anybody have vids of the final fight?

<- is in bega atm so i'm a bit light on the net access
my god how do these people live on dialup waaaaahhhh i want my cable my precious

various comments and the like.

after seeing flame from an ibc and smoke from many others methinks investing in an ESR (effective series resistance) meter may be handy. should let you find out if those motors really are shorted. Apparently dick smith is selling kits for ~ $50

also i think you can connect power to the motors directally when the IBC is off so it may pay to just touch the motor leads with a battery and see if the wheel spins or if just throws a big spark and gets warm rather than having your IBC be the bit that gets warm.

we missed 2 fights because our compeditors forefitted (wiseley Muwhahhaha) then went into the 3 way rumble and the final straight after that.
if it hadnt been a 3 way then we would have been able to run our nicad packs in the semi then the nimh's in the final but 3ways use too much power for the nicads. we had earlier that day done 2 rounds consecutivley with a battery swap.
in the end we wound up running a 3.6Ah full size C NiCd 14.4V pack from team hell bent for drive and a booster 3.2Ah Nimh Sub-C from team vertex (i think), as our usual batteries were too hot to charge and run. (2x 3Ah sub-C Nimh).
so with much bubble wrap and the remains of our trusty neoprene bathmat we were all packed up and ready to go.
Thanks also to wayde for letting us hack up those connectors so we could plug the battery in.
end result was a slightly less "punchy" than normal wepon spinup, but a *much* higher top speed i feel. IE the 0-30% speed took about 30% longer but after that it came up much better, so the nimhs from qld werent putting out the same current as our usual dual 7.2v nicad pack but sagged less under load.
it was a fair bit (20% say) more responsive on the drive than on our usual setup but this may have been due to the reduced weight. if we run Plan-B again i'm thinking of running it on 24V worth of full sized C's with thermal limiting on the motors and possibly a bigger fan to help cool them.
what we'll do with the reduced weight i dont know.

as with most things in life good luck played a large part in our victory, the 2 forfits and brett's wheel coming unscrewed probbly the foremost.
by the same token having a kick ass robot helps too ;->

personally i was a little miffed that the fight with reboot was that hard to judge. reboot was only able to drive in circles which to us meant disabled so we stopped attacking, if we had known that the judges wanted the robot to be completley broken we would have kept attacking. But again luck played a role there, snapping a drive belt on reboot.

scoopy got through the lid in a few places and through the top armor in 2 places, aiming for our batteries and speed controllers, (something we try not to do as a rule).

gotta feel sorry for the people we faught first, they had a great bot for their first time out, and big radio problems, aside from the exposed wheels a very solid bot.

Plan-B didnt take any major damage, took some cuts in the outer armor from IG only one or 2 of which made it through to the kevlar (~1.5mm under the outer glass) deepest of which was probbly the one where his saw got stuck in the side.

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

then again you guys never had to face me Wink Cool Laughing

i say run the whole thing off 24v and hook up both the drive motors in series if thats possible so they effectively see 12v each.. as for the lighterweight use it to your advantage, faster and more acceleration

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
then again you guys never had to face me Wink Cool Laughing

Yeah, you tell them Glen.

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i thought the 3 smileys added a nice touch to that, ey?

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yes, firm but not too aggresive

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:14 pm 
the moth
Experienced Roboteer

Hi all
I'm "the moth" of "moTh boTs" , owner of Vincent and the poor demented fool who attempted to sheduled the event . Shocked .

Firstly - thanks all for attending , without compeditors there can be no fun . Many hours were spent by voulenteeres to make robowars II great , and brett must be the god of robowars for all the background work he did .

I must thank my own team of terry , lindsy and josh for running vincent as i was far to busy and andrew for welding him . All those guys were thrown in at the deep end as vincent was built in a week and first tested in his opening fight Confused .

for the record - vincent was the most used bot in the event , apperaring in nearly every thing . Some of you have asked about vid footage - there was three cameras , 1: camera man , 2: Fixed inside the arena 3: fixed inside the pits . There is over 30 hours of footage and it will take time to edit - be patient or help . the two fixed cameras ran most of the time from the end of the first session ..... Crying or Very sad

Big Thanks and a minor whinge -> The public expected us to start fighting when we advertised we would . Unfourtunatly there were times when compeditors were not ready when they could have been. All you who fall into this catagory should thank vincent , rotwang and many others who supplied me with "semi ready" robots to give our waiting public something to see . All these teams ensured YOU had time before your next fight , and you should be greatfull to them .

A very big thanks to all who allowed me to use their robots in demonstration matches , and many did not get the time to fully recharge before going out again ...

Terry you were fantastic in the mic and really saved my rear Very Happy ... finally - despite being sent to the arena 12 times , driven by the crowd and gang bashed by two 20kg bots - vincents only real damage was 1 drive motor , 1 lift motor and flat batteries Wink .

Again - thanks all , you made it great - but next time ..... be on time . enjoy rick ( moth)

Last edited by the moth on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:51 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Ho ho ho, merry christmas.
Look at what santa left me.
http://www.abbl.org/~hellfire/sunday.WMV

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

yes big thanks to all the "fill in" people.
though i think they had more "fun" when in the makeup rounds than they did in the actual combat rounds ;-P

if you want encoding done i have ~10ghz worth of CPU that can be used.

we felt pretty bad about having to hold things up due to batteries but short of spending another $200 on batteries on a one off circumstance...
we had batteries sufficent for most things but a 3 way followed by the grand final.

apart from that I think we were ready within 5 minutes of a call every time.

glen you cant connect them in series, an easier solution is to just adjust the servo travels so they only go half throttle. but a better solution is to thermally limit them so you have as much power as you can use before blowing the motors up, now all we need is 4 or 5 more motors to destructivly test for charecterisation.

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
scoopy got through the lid in a few places and through the top armour in 2 places, aiming for our batteries and speed controllers, (something we try not to do as a rule).

Yes was good to see some self control. The precision attack on Scoopys Achilles heel was pretty cool. More interesting than the usual hearing impaired Seaguls on chips spinner strategy.

Dont think Sccopy was going for your electronics but. Gather it requires a bit of a balancing act to drive well and having been cut up a bit whilst on the same side would say its a difficlut thing to be that precise with Scoopy.
Scoopy just wants to cut up anything I reckons. including its masters as a table at sidetracked will always have scoopys lovebite as a reminderof how dangerous it is. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:14 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well im getting bored with no event reports or anythang from robowars so ill just try right up the draws from the shoddy picture of the whiteboard i have. in no particular order

please correct me if there not right

DAY 1 FIRST ROUND

plan b vs shyte ---- plan b won
ballistic vs cheese shredder ---- ballistic won
cobra vs formido ---- cobra won
el bravo vs annihilation ---- el bravo won
hellrazer vs haemmoraghe ---- hellrazer won
tsng vs pinscher? ---- tsng won (i think at least)
t2m vs reboot ---- reboot won
vincent vs vertical limits ---- vincent won
scoopy doo vs KO ---- scoopy doo won
scarifier vs fragmentor ---- scarifier won
arachnophobia vs batty bot ---- arachnophobia won
Inspector general vs Hellbringer ? ---- inspector general won i think
Stainless steel rat vs The next project ? ---- stainless steel rat won i think

(cant remember the ones with the "?")

at the risk of cocking up the rest of the lineup, ill just let the rest of you sort out that draw, or better yet if someone has them written down could you post the,..

as for now to keep people interested ill just write about the robots there..

Vincent was a new one with a welded ali checkerplate frame and had a wedge that lifted up and down via a drill mounted to the lid. worked well and i think it used bretts pic controller.

KO i think tim changed it over to KK2 drills at 12v. i dont think it worked as well personally but its still indestructible. and it also had a new thawckbot style hammer on the other end.

Inspector general awesome drive train, still prone to breaking (was funny telling brett how amazed i was he didnt break the drive when he tried to turn a wheel and it was jammed hehe) but crazily impressive. the new weapon wasnt to great but i think it had a far less powerful motor than it was sposed to have because of weight.

Scoopy doo 3mm aluminium armour instead of the old polycarbonate. and i think it sported nicads as well. worked okay, but reboot and plan b knocked it around some, got some good cuts on cobra and got the aerial, next time ill get it lol.

Little brute huge magmotor spinner, wierd design, and not too stable because of its temporary supports, but it spun pretty hard for 12v (and bent its bar just spinning hehe)

Pinscher, aka poochy (the rockin dog lol) looked furking awesome, the new wheels and scooter drive looked pretty funky, and the leather armour was a new innovation. sadly had really bad interference.

Hellrazer fast, powerful, strong, reliable and its results in the first day showed it, it worked really well all day until it blew up its IBC 3 times in a row on the second day, nfi why but it would have given the best a run for their money.

Plan b finally got the drive working to a decent speed, and against scoopy doo in the melee was probably the only time ive ever seen jake nervous Very Happy i cant help but think how well it would go with some 3600 cells in it bwuhah ness.

Cobra dont want to talk about it Mad flat batteries all two days and only worked decent after i got booted from the competition lol. im really happy however that the aerial works when it got cut off, i can say with pride that fighting in the last rumble with charged batteries and no aerial was the most satisfying thing ive done in a long while Smile

El bravo LMAO jeff really went crazy with the decals and add ons. lots of exhaust pipes and that. went well with andrew at the controls. the failsafes where a problem and the flipper seemed to run out of gas a lot eariler than it used to?

TSNG bad battery problems all day, i presume because the wheels where rubbing on the sides..a shame really because i think it would have done fairly well.

Scarifier i was hoping they would have put the sledge hammer on, but it was a flail instead. the flail worked, didnt do any damage but it sounded cool drumming on the rats armour Smile

Hellbringer probably one of the fastest robots ive seen, probably on par with singularity. hits the wall damn hard and also likes to blow out 3 drive motors vs the rat when its rx batteries fell out and propped it up off its wheels.

Haemmorage didnt go to well, had radio issues and got retired vs plan b. still worked tho despite major frame adjustments lol.

Annihilation radio problems as well, its weapon didnt look healty either. it got retired after its first fight.

Vertical limits didnt work to greatly at robowars, but i liked this robot and think it has tons of potential. the friction drive wasnt 100% up to scratch and the teeth folded back, but the disk spun up real fast even with the small motor, that i thought would lack power. cant wait to see it work at its full potential.

Cheese shredder got to fight it for once, good little all rounder robot. and stu really is a pretty good driver for only what, 7?

T2m got its hammer bent against reboot and its aerial broken, didnt work to well at all but i think it would have gone better with the wedge (think they took it off because of weight issues).

The next project massively long, and the drives bent in and rubbed on the lid which i think is the reason it blew out 4 drives in succession. the saw went okay while the hose pipe held up.

Formido good wedge armour, but wood sides Surprised blew its IBC and at 12v really didnt have too much get up and go.

Reboot impressive. weapon wasnt all i hoped it would be, seemingly because of not enough torque, but the drive was good and the armour was pretty decent.

Ballistic thin as hell armour, cobra managed to put big holes in it but the big flipper is great now with that huge ram in it.

Stainless steel rat same as before really, nothing new. good robot but i believe it blew some drives.

fragmentor AWESOME hammer mechanism, the robot itself KO'd itself about 2-3 times for reasons i dont know about, but the hammer had enough torque to flip the whole robot over and over multiple times. SWEET.

Battybot hehe back again, the spinner didnt really work and the plastic got shattered by arachnophobia, but it needed to show up at robowars for that special touch lol.

arachnophobia radio problems and wheel loss problems again, but the spin on that thing really is wicked.

Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:33 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Not quite Glen.
Winners Side
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=482

Victory Challenged Side
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=483

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

geez i was way off Confused

btw has anyone got a photo of the rats battery mounts? preferably the mounts that used the springs over the top. id appreciate it if anybody could post a pic of it.. thanks

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:57 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I have a pic of the underside of rat but not of the insides sitting outside the shell is that ok?

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:27 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ah yeah, if its got the batteries in view..

and anyone got any more videos.. pwease Smile

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:37 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~acerules/pictures/image68.JPG

Thats all iv got i think

Post Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:36 pm