www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

end of the ev warrior
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Heres another place to get them (for now..)

http://www.industrialliquidators.com/wesell/motors.html

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
wonder what the word is on them 12v aircraft starter motors

Anyone tried these?

I was thinking of trying them myself (since they cost only $12 each - I could afford to replace a few if need be) but I haven't the bot combat experiance of most of you guys to know how far of the mark they are (from say - these famous ev warrior motors)

I've recently come across some geared RC plane starter motors, but I'm still waiting for them to arrive at the local hobby shop...

Question any info from anyone who has tried them ?

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:34 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Anyone interested in buying a few of those EV motors that Brett found? I am thinking about getting 2 and would like to split the freight costs.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:44 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

dont know if they will want to ship here
their ebay stuff says in big bold letter USA and canada only and canada only via UPS (who help you by putting $40 customs duty on everything wether its needed or not apparently)

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

inferno had a plane starter motor in it and had some pretty respectable force in it. its on 12v as well so thats a bonus.

IIRC helios had a jensen motor which is basically an aircraft starter motor.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The starter motors always get a bad rap for drawing huge current and overheating. The old version of Helios used one with no reported probs, so its time someone actually tried a starter motor to see what they are like. It could be that the bad reports were from people who over-volted them too much.

Tower Hobbies has a wide range and the local shops must stock some too.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:12 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

The modified Starter in Anhilation is stil going strong it pulls a fair bit of current but never gets any where near hot even the ones we have in vertex when we gave it a test drive on two truck batteries down the road for about 5 minutes were only warm after the test

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:33 pm 
colin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I found a Bosch GPB in a car fan a while back. It has the exact same front case except for 3 mounting tabs (very handy) The shaft is the same diameter but shorter. The back plate is different, with a connector that sticks out the back more than the side.

All up, The GPB is probably easier to use than the EV, but finding them is hard. We need a list of cars that use them...

Anyone have a picture of the GPB...I wonder if I can get them from work

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:41 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Those scooter motors are alittle bit over a 3rd of a horse power at 24v.
The ev's are 0.3at 12v and at 24v 1.55 so id say the ev's kick ars compared to the scooter motors

Btw i have two 12v plane starter motors for hellbent my 25kg bot and they are pretty powerfull but they cost me $100 so what are the $12 ones myn are about 13 cm's long and weigh 1.75kgs each and so far at 18v under load from me holding the shaft as hard as i can to allmost stalling them for 3 mins they barely get warm so they seem to be able to handle it at the moment.

Last edited by timmeh on Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:53 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

"Those scooter motors are under a 1\4 of a horse power at 24v the ev's are the same at 12v and at 24v go figure "

Are you talking about the 100W, 200W or 300W scooter motors (if your talking about the Oatly electronics motors). As for EVs being the same at 12V as at 24V I don't know where you got the info but it is completly wrong! I have run my EVs at 12V, 18V and 24V and I know for a fact that they do not output the same power at each voltage!

The reason why EVs are so simmilar to the Bosch GPBs is that the EV warrior was "reverse engineered" from the Bosch motors.
A Bosch GPB is a half size version of the Bosch 750W.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Look at my post now i noticed i got it wrong and im talking about the 300w motors. Confused sorry i was thinking of a diff motor.

I emailed Oatly and that is what i was told just over a 3rd of a horse power for the 300w motors Wink At 24v

And where did i say they give out the same power at each voltage?

Last edited by timmeh on Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Pics of all of the Bosch range of motors can be found here.. from 2watts to 2 Kilowatts !

http://aa.bosch.de/aa/elektromotoren/en/elektromotoren/gleichstrommotoren/ohne-getriebe/index.htm

The GPB is the EV Warrior and is about 2/3 of the way down the page. Looks like it comes in a variety of power levels, up to 181 watts

you will also see the GPA which was popular for robot wars in the UK.

They might be available from Bosch Australia, but I'll bet they're worth silly money for out use. The EV Warrior isnt that wonderful a motor, it was just popular because thousands of them were dumped on the surplus market (after the EV Warrior bicycle company went broke) and represented good power for very little money. Try checking on prices the UK guys paid for the GPA motors and you will see the difference.

The biggest problems with EV's is that by the time you ship them out here, add a clamp mount, a non-slip shaft coupling and modify the brush grounding and/or neutralise the timing (if you are using it for drive), then they dont look quite so cheap anymore.. so if we can find another similair motor that addresses these issues I dont think we need cry too much about their passing.

The 300 watt scooters might represent a reasonable replacement, but they are harder to overvolt since they are already a 24v motor.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i think you severly underestimate what the ev warrior is brett.

the way you mount the thing is really just determined by how inventive you get, look at xain, the ev is mounted through the face plate, backlash used two hose clamps and i think hellbringer 3 used pieces of chopping board. noo reason why you cant use the pin through the shaft of the ev for mounting a sprocket too... what do you think its there for? and as for the non neutral timing just adjust the trims on it, youll spin slower one way but if thats the least of your concerns consider yourself lucky.

$25us for a 1.5hp motor is as good a deal as ive ever heard of too.

as for the aircraft starters just searched around and they would seem pretty useful. vlad the impaler, the defiant and the alexander, all heavyweight machines used sullivan aircraft starters back in the days of US robotwars. one would think if you drilled some vent holes in the case they would probably make a useful motor.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:21 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

where are these chaep starter motors?

And i wouldent go drilling holes in them if they are anything like myn the magnets go the full length of the motors inside.

To mount my ev im just using two hose clamps.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:27 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hell Bent!:
And where did i say they give out the same power at each voltage?

You said it in your above post as I quoted but you must have edited it out to prove me wrong! Evil or Very Mad

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger