www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Safety - Fire extinguisher

Author    Thread
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Safety - Fire extinguisher

Hi everyone,
After the last Maryong event i was wondering do we have a fire extinguisher handy? Because i know if i had a bot that started to burn i would want to give it a quick squirt to put it out, hopefully saving some of my electronics Smile also good to have for general safety.

I think i might have a really little one around here somewhere, so is there one at Maryong i missed? If not does anyone else have one they can bring?

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:01 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well we have been taking one to most of the events we go to as well as up to pub when we do testing because its bolted to our robot trolly. But we can'y bring it Sydney because we'll be flying. Actually they don't allow them on trains either, but that didn't stop us. Rolling Eyes

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I`ll borrow the one from the boat and hang it in the garage, have a bucket of water ready and a super soaker might be handy as well.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:16 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Safety - Other

@Jeff: Thats should be good with the extinguisher. It would be almost comical to see the super soaker putting out a bot. I can just see the caption "No one told him that water pistols are a prohibited weapon for bots".

But anyway, I don't want to hassle everyone, but I see this as a big issue. There was one person that came forward and said they've had first aid training, which was great. But the other thing that needs to be sorted is an actual kit.

On the day it is imperative if an accident occurs that the person who puts their hand up to assist knows where this kit is and who else can assist. There's all sorts of horrible issues surrounding liability, but our intentions should be about people's safety, sort all that other crap out later but plan for the worst case scenario. Obviously that would be something like a deep arterial laceration, or appendages being severed. Horrible to consider but nonetheless possible outcomes.

These machines are potentially lethal, if having some structure and procedures laid down before the event means that an emergency is handled properly then they should be enacted.

Forgive my spiel, just couldn't live with myself if I didn't speak up.
Hope you all understand.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:48 am 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Indeed, something we should have taken into serious account long before now. My sister is another first aider but considering here I only have bandaids and Savlon Embarassed If someone does have a decent kit they can bring along please let us know. I will get one eventually but as I`m spending money all over the place at the moment it would be helpfull this event if someone already has one.
Thanks,
Jeff.

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

dont worry i have the first aid kit ...100% stocked and ready to go its a biggy to, not a little one ..im sure it wont be needed but itll be there in case Very Happy .cheers sarge

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:52 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Chris, you're a champ mate.

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:13 pm 
3Faze

Errr sounds like you guys need to invest in some CO2 'stinguishers, and not piddling little car-sized ones either.

Don't use water or halon (yes, an event in the US had halon extinguishers on hand Shocked).

Also make sure the appropriate people have the training and experience to use them.

If I'm going somewhere with the bot, and I don't know for sure there's a CO2 extinguisher on site, I put the backup one out of the shed in the car.

I'm considering a small firetrace system in the next bot.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:14 am 
Windhammer

are any of you guys trained in fire awareness? because i have takin a 2 and a half day course and you learn how to put out electrical fires propely.

when some electrical fire are squirted with a c02 they may explode or burn even more fiecely. i suggest throwing a large wet towel over the burning robot well that if the fire is on the out side. if the fire is on the inside of the robot put a big bucket or similar over the robot so the fire cant breath.

Last edited by Windhammer on Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:55 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have been a fire warden in several jobs and while I haven't had to put out a real fire yet, its always stated that the best all round electrical fire extinguisher is CO2.

Liquid types are water based and rely on the cooling effect or smothering effect (from foam) while CO2 removes all the oxygen and also cools the ignition point and is not as conductive. I can bring a large CO2 unit if Jeff wants.

The only problem with CO2 is on extra hot metal fires where the CO2 breaks down. I submit that in this unlikely event we should just run away as fast as possibly.

Even the larger hand held extinguishers are only meant to handle a fire of one cubic metre. If the fire is larger than that, we need a decent hose and the fire brigade's number handy.

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:58 am