www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QLD arena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author    Thread
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Smile sorry for not replying sooner guys but I recieved an f'ing virus in an email from my parents... Norton is still figuring out the sample I sent them...

Marto has kept everyone informed so I won't repeat what he's said. The arena will be finished soon and will be ready for use shortly after christmas.

I still haven't got a featherweight, but will do soonish... but that is still no reason to stop everyone else from turning up for testing and competition...

Thanks to Marto finding me a very inexpensive concrete contractor (who in turn found a very cheap load of concrete), I can afford the $$'s to finance to arena construction myself -e.g.-the polycarb sheet, internal panels, etc.
BUT I seriously thank everyone who has offered to help with the cost, it is now covered anyway...

I can almost hear the crashing of bots and the mangling of metal.....

Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:02 pm 
chris

now that sounds cool but i will have to confirm later to the date

Post Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:09 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Latest news from SideTracked..

The 6mm polycarb sheet for the House of Carnage arena is now at Mulfords in Brisbane (Archerfield).

Would you guys like to pick it up ? Or pay an extra fee and get it delivered somewhere ? (please supply delivery address via PM)

Final Payment (once total has been determined with shipping etc) will be to Sidetracked since its being done through their account to get the bargain price..

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

@spockie-tech

mate, could you PM me "sidetracked" details so I can pay them for the polycarb sheet and finally get it up here...

thanks, Nic

Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:22 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Stage one has been completed. Went out this morning and put up polycarb. There is a video which has been taken of the area but if you want to see it before sunday you will have to pester me.

Post Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:42 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

stage 2 is going ahead.
This stage mostly involves.... pit tables, better lighting in the pits, rear entrance to the property and making changes to certain teething problems within the arena (e.g.- increasing the arena floor space, solving the minor viewing issues - by preventing 'bots from contacting the interior walls, installing some fans in the arena for cooling, etc)

does anyone have the dimensions (of just the actual arena floorspace) for other Aussie arenas such as at Marayong and at "sidetracked" ?
I've been trying to suss them out by studying posted photos.... but actual dimensions would be great....

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:57 am 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

Hello, Marayong is 29sqm; 5.4x5.4m.
Great to see another one up and running! Events should really start to snowball now!

Cheers,

Jeff J.

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:13 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The SideTracked arena is an Octagon, with a distance of 6m between the opposing walls.. which, if I've worked it out right, gives an area of 27.7sqm

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

thanks guys... I'm seriously going to have to find more arena space in the shed
Confused

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:33 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

U can move that damm wall yourself i already put it up once. Nah just kidding i really dunno how much space we could get out of it without changing the size of the shed. I wouldn't worry bout the size for now just try and have a few events and see how we go. Home advantage or i'd like to think so.

Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:11 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Time to make it bigger.

The 3.5m X 3.5m space is OK but we could make some changes to get the entire 7m X 3.5m shed as just the arena floor.
Initally, I thought we could just remove one of the screens and squeeze another 2m out of the shed... the drawback is the lack of viewing space that would result. Even without any spectators, one screen wouldn't allow for all of us to be able to watch each fight.

So... what I'm now thinking is to remove both internal screens. A few sheets of concrete bracing mesh will be attached to the interior of the arena - to prevent students of "Marauder's Flying School" from contacting the walls of the shed.... when Philip has worked out the bugs, his launcher will be really scarry. The current internal screens would be recycled to form one 4.4m+ long screen on the eastern side of the shed (the side facing the gum trees). A simple roof and some kind of walls (corrugated iron or shadecloth, etc) can be built to cover the viewing area.

Thoughts anyone ?

I don't mind the arena as it is BUT I don't want the arena enviroment to start dictating the kind of bots that will evolve through it's use.

Example- I can see the current arena breeding bots that are heavily armed and armoured... but slow (since there is little room to move - and even less room for a run up). To ensure that everyone's idea of a bot remains feasible, I feel we need to make more arena space - so you can still "float like a butterfly" instead of just having to "sting like a bee"...

Do you kind of understand what I'm trying to find the words to say ??

Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:33 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm i dunno it will be possible to move the walls be do you think it would be better to just move one wall all the way to the edge and pull of the corragated iron there. I would just like to remind ou that any glare will make it very hard to see it is already quite hard with existing shed around to see sometime and a new part would have to be built on the outside of the shed.

Also if the panel is put on the eastern wall initially it might be easiest to put the pannels in the middle but eventually i think it would be good to extend the veiwing screen for the whole wall. I think this might be a good idea but i'm not sure if it is worth doing atm.

What about moving one veiwing screen to the easter wall atm to see if it is worth moving the other this would be a way to increase the arena area and still keep a good area for drivers. I dunno still ideas.

Build your bot irst nic

Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:03 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

black plastic screen ...works a wonder in marayong behind the screen Very Happy

Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:09 pm