www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team 1.21 Jigowatts - featherweights

Author    Thread
Ben(SA)

Team 1.21 Jigowatts - featherweights

With nationals in a few days, I should start my build thread here.

I attempted to start my featherweight build over a month ago with a ring spinner:

"Is this a holdup?"
"No it's a Science Experement "

Science Experiment took awhile to design as I had to wait for a number of components to arrive before I could finish the design. The original plan was to have the whole bot cut from 8mm steel

Unfortunately, this was my first attempt to get anything laser cut and I was caught out by lead times and needed to pivot and redesign a bot I could build from bunnings components in 2 weekends

So a new bot was conceived:

"Sorry for the Crudity of this Model I didn't have time to paint it or build it to scale"

Crudity Model started life as a horizontal spinner design:

And work was started:

Unfortunately, part way through last week, all of the pieces were cut and ready to be welded and bolted together so I decided to weight them, and discovered it weighed a grand total of 5kg, which was just not going to fly.

So the design was changed again to be more along the lines of S2 Bite Force (sorry no pictures here)

Then came Saturday and the redesign caused a late start and before long I was running out of welding and grinding time so I realised that it would be impossible to get the blades balanced in time. So rather than risking the first spin up self-destruct the design was cut back to a wedge:

And loads of steel was welded to it:

My brother very generously volunteered his welder and welding skill to help out, and while it's not going to win a beauty contest, its rock solid and I am super happy with it.

All that's left now is to finish wiring the electronics, print new more solid motor mounts and cut the top shield:

It's been a windy road but it looks like I'll make my first ever featherweight fight! Very Happy Very Happy

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:35 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Last minute wedges have an annoying habit of winning the championship - it certainly looks solid enough to survive spinner attacks.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:56 am 
royzo

Amazing wedge .
It is good if you dont use back cover for your wheels.
Without back-cover it helps you lot .
You can watch video in youtube ;
Title : original sin vs electric bugaloo.
See how he escapes when the bot stood up verticaly.
I am going to do the same design of electric bugaloo I belive that wheel with no cover will help you 100% until your drive motors run fast enough.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:39 am 
Ben(SA)

Thanks, Nick!
I'm not too confident because I am really not going to get much practice time before the weekend. but hey, hopefully, it survives one round Laughing

Royzo I am not a great driver so I am never going to enter a robot with exposed wheels. I know the current design is vulnerable to standing up on the back bumper but I would rather do that then have my wheels torn to shreds. This video of original sin vs electric bugaboo : https://youtu.be/lkcwlGqeBcc is exactly why I have wheel guards, Original sin has all of its wheels ripped off

And I have a plan to avoid ending up on my back so hopefully, that works out

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:27 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That wheel guard is quite narrow, so the bot isn't likely to get propped on it unless the bot gets leaned against the arena wall and there isn't much anyone can do about that.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:37 pm 
Ben(SA)

Thanks again Nick!
I might still try attaching a wedge back there, because I can't drive inverted and I want to try a material adhesion technique but I'm glad to know I am not going to get stuck when it inevitably falls off Laughing

Post Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:57 pm 
Ben(SA)

More progress has been made!

The wiring loom is now complete

So I took Crudity Model out for a quick late night test drive, only to find out that I have set the wedge too low and a few bumps of weld on one side touch the ground.

Not wanting to scratch up the concrete I have called it a night.
Tomorrow I'll take a file to the welds, mount the electronics properly, finish the lid and start painting Very Happy

Post Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:34 am 
Ben(SA)

So it turns out I am not the best at spray painting designs...

Oh well, the paint job is now done, complete with the top shield:

A few minor touch ups and it will be ready to packed tomorrow!

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:03 am 
evil_steve

Looking great Ben, see you there!

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 am 
Cpnwolfe

as they said before last minute wedges can be deceptive! looks good mnan

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:13 pm 
Ben(SA)

Wow Nationals was a RUSH!

Thanks to everyone who helped make the event awesome!

Some of you may not know, but Crudity Model got its first ever complete test drive on Friday evening before, in the newly built area

After a rather rushed day of building.

Never the less Crudity was all up and running in time

I then got something of a trial by fire, facing Mr Mangle, Shiny and Prowler in my first 3 fights ever. Needless to say, Crudity got a pounding, but to my surprise, the wedge held together and I even managed a win a match

The aftermath of the first 3 fights:

Despite losing it, I think the second match against shiny was my favorite, I got some awesome in the box footage
https://youtu.be/QAhGEeVhvls
And during the flip, shiny did some very nice damage to the weaker steel on the side

Prowler, on the other hand, got a little too close for comfort, cutting through part of my link

(those 2 holes in the middle are for the cable tie that holds the link in place)
Thankfully the link was mounted with a cable tie and duct tape, so as the saw grabbed hold the mounts broke and the link dropped into the bot, saving it from being cut clean in half.

On the second day I decided to swap out my motor mounts (i was running ABS printed ones the first day) unfortunately, I had damaged one of my spares in my mad rush build on Friday. Thankfully AIO Robotics were kind enough to print me a new one out of their own super strong PLA on their new fancy printers.

The only problem with 3d printing is that it takes time, lots of time... so despite starting the print around 10am and having a fight at 2:30pm I didn't have the mount in hand until 1:30. Then disaster, as I was reconnecting the wiring loom having replaced the mounts, a wire broke off one of the motors forcing a complete teardown and repair at 2:15. Huge thanks to Steve for being accommodating with the schedule and Evil Steve for the hand getting Crudity back together

New mount installed

After all of the day's stress, Crudity held against Mini Mover, winning a spot in the 1v1v1 for a chance to enter the finals.

The 1v1v1 was the most challenging schenario possible, Crudity Vs Mr Mangle Vs Prowler, so I had to worry about attacks from the sides and the top all at once, so I set to work re-armouring Crudity, luckily Crudity was 9.5kg going in so I had plenty of weight to add top armour. Thanks to Evil steve for extra cutting board and Cpnwolfe for whizzbee's broken axle that I duct taped above my link in an attempt to protect it.

During the match Mr Mangle quickly took out Prowler then came after Crudity, bending the wheel guard into the left wheel

before swinging around and digging the beater into some previous damage on the wedge and throwing Crudity completely over, snapping out the base plate in the process

All of these big hits snapped the welds holding the wheel guard to the back of Crudity and put some nice big splits in my motor mounts,

Despite all that damage the motors were still held in place so, I pushed to get Crudity ready for the rumble and got him to his final form

(because fairy lights make every robot stronger Laughing )

Overall the weekend was phenomenal and I plan on coming back next year with some heavier hitting robots, definitely a ring spinner and maybe a melty if I can find a place to test it

One final glory shot of the wedge damage

Post Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:18 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Nice work ...Some nice battle scars there to Cool

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:07 pm