www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Rusty Venture - Slightly Evil Robotics - SA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
evil_steve

Rusty Venture - Slightly Evil Robotics - SA

Well I finally got a break from work this weekend and found some time to work on robots stuff, and so today I started work proper on Rusty Venture, which is going to be our entry for the main competition at Nationals this year. For our first full-fat featherweight I decided to keep it simple and build a wedge using as much stuff that I already have at home as possible.

The basic frame is cut from an old RHS gate frame and will be bolted together with rubber shock mounting between. Here is my dodgy sketch (done in a spare moment at work this week) attempting to illustrate the idea.

And here is what I've got so far. The motors (from donated drills) and electronics are all ready to go, the frame is mostly cut out.

The armour for the open gaps and wheel guards will be use steel sheet (from industrial shelving) screwed onto cutting board.

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:50 pm 
royzo

Great work ,
But I can still give you trick to balance your bot. With your current design you will flip once you get hit by spinning weapon by unbalace, so I can recommend you to use another horizontal bar in the top and even you can use lifter like HYPERSHOCK VERSION 2 (NEW HYPERSHOCK USES LIFTER INSTEAD HYDRAULIC GRIP). Laughing

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:08 pm 
evil_steve

Yeah, I'm aware of the invertability issue and have considered adding a self-righting mechanism as you describe, but it looks like I'll be time limited over the next month due to work so I decided to focus on just getting it together. If I have time/weight I might add one though.

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:12 pm 
royzo

You can get still more power in BOSCH DRILL MOTORS.
You can get info.in Bosch drill manuals.

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:54 pm 
evil_steve

Today I Learnt: decent quality, "bimetal" hacksaw blades cut through steel a lot better than the really cheap ones I'd been using previously. Who woulda thunk it!

The basic frame is now cut out. The plan is to attach the motors and the electronics/battery boxes to the straight piece down the middle, then have rubber wubbies or similar where the angled steel pieces attach to it (and where the armour attaches to the angled steel pieces). I am hoping that this will let the wedge of the bot flex/absorb hits without trashing the parts that actually make it move. This may or may not work, but it's a (cunning) plan!

Post Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:23 pm 
Ondray

Yeah a good cutting edge changes everything! I've learned that as a general principle, I can get away with a cheap drill/jigsaw/hacksaw but get decent bits or blades.

Are you putting the motors inside that piece of horizontal RHS like you did for Zhenhario? Because I'm stealing that idea for my feather Smile

Post Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:08 pm 
evil_steve

That was actually the original plan, to use the leftover 50mm aluminium tube from Zenghiaro as the centre piece and bolt the wedge to it. I ended up deciding against it for 3 reasons:
1) the bolts would have gone through the RHS and then into the nuts in the motor mounts within the aluminium box section, and I'm not confident of my ability to line all that up accurately
2) that design used the white wheels we both used at Vivid, which would have allowed invertability but exposed the wheels to attack (which didn't work out that well for me at Vivid!)
3) I wanted to use the stronger (but too small to fit the motors/mounts) RHS, and as the plan was to try to use stuff I already had as much as possible I wasn't going to buy bigger RHS (I since found that I had some the right size anyway!)

The drill motors are going to be hose clamped onto the central RHS piece. I was at one stage going to put the battery and electronics into that central piece but then decided that the wiring/fit would be difficult, and have decided to bolt more steel to it to hold them.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:24 pm 
evil_steve

It's robot building time!

Rusty continues to take shape. The motors will have another hose clamp around each of them, which will hopefully keep them secure to the central part of the frame. I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to mount the battery and electronics - got a few ideas but want to get the frame more done before I start cutting more parts.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:53 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Thats looking very old school.

Steve

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:45 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

If this was being made out of a car bumper, I would be questioning who was building it Razz

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:06 am 
evil_steve

See, I prefer to think of it as "artisanally crafted using traditional methods" Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

We have 2 or 3 chrome bumper bots going to Canberra, although we got clobbered in Ipswich I think the old style bots can still be competitive.

Find out next month, so going to show us what the state of the art is?

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:52 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I *like the "Recycled/Wasteland" look Bots. Reminds me of something from a MadMax movie.

The CNC'd Ti/Bisalloy bots all look the same.. Where's the ever controversial style points when you need them ? Wink

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
evil_steve

Well, my build progress on both bots has been slowed down by work, family illness, and now this:

That's what I get for playing indoor cricket I guess. Still, some progress has been made on Rusty. I've cut out and drilled all the aluminium to mount the cutting board + steel armour, and now attached it all to the frame. Still to do - cut and drill 6 panels of cutting board and steel, cut the baseplate cutting board to size, and bolt it all on.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:01 pm 
evil_steve

More progress despite having to work again this weekend. I'm putting together the "composite" armour panels, got one completed and one mostly completed.

My wife commented that it's "not a good looking robot" ...

Post Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:58 pm