www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Legality of heated weapon tip

Author    Thread
pilleya

Legality of heated weapon tip

I am planning to build a Sportsman class robot that utilizes a hydraulic actuator( or perhaps a electric linear actuator if I can build one capable of supplying enough force, I have looked at Charles Guan's custom actuators) connected to a sharp and thin HSS spike to pierce the top armour of robots and damage their internal components. Similar in concept to Razer. From what I have seen of build reports, Polycarbonate and HDPE are extremely popular robot armour. Those plastics especially polycarbonate are also nice and quick to melt through with the tip of a soldering iron.

I know most Australian events prohibit flamethrowers, but would a high-powered gas soldering iron or blow-torch( probably about 150-200watts) be legal in order to heat the weapon tip.

If not, would a DC 12V heating element be legal or is "heat" as a weapon prohibited

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think that idea has ever been brought up before and I can't recall anything that applies in the rules, particularly if its electrically heated. Its probably up to the event organiser to make a decision.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:48 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

That is a very interesting idea. I will have to think a bit more.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

From a safety point of view, there should probably be an indicator to show the tip is hot.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:23 pm 
maddox

Interesting idea.

And with a heat resistant "sharp" edge protection , not unsafer than most other weaponimplementations.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

PowderPuff's wepon. Hers was only cosmetic but the idea was there. Smile

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=440

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:45 am 
pilleya

The aspect integral to this design, is that the other robot is supported by the robot otherwise the crushing action will be ineffective. As I see it, pieces of aluminium rectangular tube or pieces metal plate oriented perpendicular to the flow, with an angled end to allow them to be pushed under the other robot are allowed as it is not intended to be a wedge and is integral to the operation of the weapon. As I see it as soon as these pieces of tube are pushed under the other robot there is no way the other robot can escape, as providing that the actuator is capable of driving down quick enough the pressure down on the top of the robot will make it impossible. If the other robot is supported by its wheels via the tube underneath the robot the pressure of the actuator (at least several thousand pounds) will break it’s drive system ( wheels, axles or gearbox shafts).

I’ve done a few calculations and for a tip 3mm by 6mm (if it was flat so this is punching force) it would only require 1080kg of force at the tip to puncture 3mm’s of 6061-T6 aluminium, the same tip force would also be able to pierce 9mm of Polycarbonate. Around 3000kg of force, would be required to pierce 3mm of Ti-6Al-4V Titanium. The tip would be inter-changeable with ones of different shape to enable to best angle of penetration on the other robot.

The heated tip would allow faster penetration of plastic armour, the heated tip would also make it easier to lift the pincer back up after it has penetrated through the other robots armour without lifting the other robot with it, but is not integral to the design if it is disallowed.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:46 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

My current opinion is that if electrically heated would be permissible in the current rule set.

The flame heated one would generally come down to if flamethrowers are allowed at the event as the same safety precautions would apply.

Steve

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:54 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If you are fighting a plastic bot, I'd replace the heated tip with a branding iron - stamping your name in their bot shows they were totally owned Laughing.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:01 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Something else to factor in to this sort of design/strategy is the 10 second pin rule.

http://sparc.tools/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/SPARC_Match_Rules_v1.0.pdf

Personally I think it should be longer, it use to be longer.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:23 am 
pilleya

I assumed that there would be a pin/lifting rule, I suppose it makes it fair in a sense. I'll just have to select an actuator that can fully extend and retract in under 10 seconds.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:15 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Passably partly why Charles custom built that 2 speed shifting gearbox in the griping actuator in Overhaul2.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:29 pm 
seanet1310

When was the last time 10 seconds was actively enforced in a consistent manner?

Needs to be some form of pin just so it is not 10 seconds moving, 170 seconds pin on the wall.

A very interesting concept, heated tip. I have some nice plastic armour ready that would gum up the tip Very Happy

It would be worth taking care to ensure there is a suitable tip cover for moving the bot around, always part of the rules but could be even more important here than a standard pint.

Electric tip would appear to be within all the rules so that is probably the better way over gas as in many events flame is not allowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger