www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

[MELBOURNE] Melbourne Knowledge Week

Author    Thread
Cyber

[MELBOURNE] Melbourne Knowledge Week

EDIT:

Date / time for the event is from 10am until 4pm on Sunday the 8th of May . The venue is the 1000 Pound Bend cafe, 361 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne CBD.

There won't be space for an arena but we can rock up to do some safe demonstrations and show off our bots, educate about what's involved in building and operating a combat robot and spread the word about RoboWars. It would be a big bonus if by then we can have some solid information about an upcoming event to get people interested!

If you'd like to come along and chat, show off your creations (they don't need to be finished) and talk about running a proper event it would be great to see you there! Please reply below to let me know if you can make it. Cheers!

Tim

Last edited by Cyber on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 am; edited 6 times in total

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:06 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

If you support the Sportsman class, I'm happy to fly down and compete.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:49 pm 
seanet1310

I can support with a sportsmen but would not be able to commit much extra time to help organise.

Arena could be a big issue, although we are talking sportsmen we would want a half decent arena for a public event any incidents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
evil_steve

I should have my Sportsman finished before then and could possibly come over for an event, when I mentioned it to the wife she seemed quite keen on the idea of a trip to Melbourne Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:37 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

If you have a car capable of towing a 2.5tonne trailer and carrying 2-500kgs of gear and want to drive to and from QLD. I know where there is an arena.

Steve

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:56 pm 
Cyber

Thanks for the replies guys! Good to hear you guys are keen!!! If we can get some more interest and at least a few 'definites' in the next couple of weeks then I can submit the proposal to MKW Smile

I could potentially supply the funds, tools and manpower to build a solid freestanding arena. However I'd need someone in the Melbourne area to be willing and able to store it long term and transport it to this event and possibly future events as well. Anyone? Laughing

Is 12.5mm polycarb thick enough for sportsman? what about for opens?

How would you guys want to see the event structured? I've never been to a robowars comp before... Smile

Cheers
Tim E

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Steve's arena uses 5mm polycarb and its been fine for all types of featherweight. 12.5mm polycarb would be better but its going to make very heavy panels once you put a metal frame on it. Virtually all arenas have a steel panel about 30 to 40cm high at the base for protection against spinner impacts; its a good idea to keep that no matter how thick the plastic is.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 am 
Cyber

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Steve's arena uses 5mm polycarb and its been fine for all types of featherweight. 12.5mm polycarb would be better but its going to make very heavy panels once you put a metal frame on it. Virtually all arenas have a steel panel about 30 to 40cm high at the base for protection against spinner impacts; its a good idea to keep that no matter how thick the plastic is.

Thanks for the idea about the steel... I'll definitely factor that in! Good to know about the thickness. I think I may end up going with the thicker stuff for added safety and structural rigidity with the intention (hope) of re-using this arena long into the future. How big an arena is good for feathers? 2.4x2.4m big enough or would we want to double that? I can get 8x sheets of 2.4x1.2 polycarb for a good price. Which would give us 23 sq/m worth of arena!

I'm also just about to update the OP with the following:

I've been advised our appearance would be from 10am until 4pm on just the Sunday the 8th. At the moment it's been asked of us (me) if the arena can also be used to let kids try their hand at flying some cheap quadcopters... which I'm in support of, assuming it works with what we're doing. The question remains of how we'd tie that into the robot fights. I assume we'll go with 3 minute rounds each. Round robin? Or something else? Ideally i'd love to see a full day of action both for the benefit of those competing (making it worth their time) and also those who come to see the action, so as long as you guys are willing it'd be good to draw it out. We could possibly work that into 1-hour-on, 1-hour-off with letting the quads into the arena in between.

I myself have a couple of bots to bring, one being the ex-"SubKor", now CCHS Mascot robot, and my own fire-breathing Spyro Twisted Evil

If anyone has some tips on running a 'war now is the time to come out of the woodwork Wink Cheers!

Tim

Last edited by Cyber on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

2.4M square is about right for beetle weights. Steve's arena is 4.8M square and can also work as a 3.6M arena with three panels a side. If you are going with 12.5mm polycarb it would make sense to build the larger size for future-proofing. I will try to find some photos of various arena designs to give you some ideas.

Don't forget about a solid roof! It doesn't have to be as thick, just enough to stop shrapnel flying out.

I saw someone flying a quadcopter in an arena once - when they get near a wall, they can tilt and suck onto the wall. Micro quads should work much better.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 am 
Cyber

G'day all,

Unfortunately we won't be able to host a proper robowar due to restrictions on the available space and safety concerns, however, I myself will be going along with SubKor and Spyro to demonstrate / promote RoboWars and hopefully get some newcomers interested in the sport.

It would be great to have any of you there and especially great if you can bring along your own machines to display. Please let me know if you can make it! The venue is the 1000 Pound Bend cafe, 361 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne CBD. Parking may(?) be difficult being in the CBD so keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Tim

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:56 am 
seanet1310

I will try to make it with one of my bots but can't commit right now.

Nice work organsing this so far Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh I was going to say it's pretty ambitious attempting to build a robot and arena in the time. However this might make a really good sportsman trial run in the lead up to another event. Even if you just do sportsmans with lifters and put up a barrier. See the MIT robot battles for something that's similar.

Steve

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:36 pm 
Cyber

Come on gents I know you're out there, definitely need your support on this one! Very Happy If we can get a good turn out there's a chance the venue will have us back for a proper event in future, not to mention the added interest we'll generate with a good display Cool

Post Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:15 am