www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Welding thread

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Welding thread

There is so much good material in the Machining thread, its time to start a dedicated welding thread rather than hijack Mile's eBay welder thread.

The start things off, here is a link to a really neat welding table design: http://www.instructables.com/id/Welding-Table-1/

I like that the everything is made from commonly available RHS and that the top slats are removable; you can replace damaged sections or insert special sections with purpose-built jigs. The RHS in the instructable is 1/8" wall but Edcon steel has those sections in up to 5mm if you wanted something more heavy duty.

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:17 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Gas purge widget:

I was going to make some back-gassing widgets by cutting and welding square aluminium tube. After seeing a vacuum hold-down fixture, I realised that a solid block with a very shallow cavity is a better solution:

This is a trial widget to see how well the idea works. The cavity is only 3mm deep, so a moderate argon flow rate should clear all the oxygen quickly. In case the gas doesn't leak out the sides fast enough, there is a small exhaust port at the top left.

This block has a lip so I can weld up to an edge; other shapes can be made for corners and inside edges - its only limited by the amount of scrap aluminium I can find around the workshop.

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:33 pm