Yes, 15Kg sounds better, There are good reasons to change
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I like the idea of 13.6

If we go the 13.6 then there should be no over weight exeptions.

It will be good for those people who have allready build there bots and think if only i had that axtra half a kg left to strangthin something or add some more batts.

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:45 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've always favoured the UK as I always see more character in the UK bots(Razer, Warhead, Gemini) then most of the CNC billet US bots. But over the last 3 years I've been following the UK forums, more and more of the builders are going US style, building robots with Astro Flights, Magmotors and CNC gearboxes.

I have a feeling that the UK robots will go up to the 13.6kg limit soon because most of the robots that were going to compete in the FRA World Champs the robots all fell into the lb weight limits since the US guys would have to spend a lot of money to reduce their weights.

I'm in a good mood for some n00b bashing too Twisted Evil

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:32 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, it looks to me like the clear majority is for the 30lb class...

But, we havent heard from a couple of important people in the question. The other arena owners. Since its their playground, they have to state that they are willing to host 13.6Kg bots at their events before all the builders just decide to go and build them..

I know 12Kg to 13.6Kg isnt a big jump and its not likely to stress the arena's significantly, but I'd like to see acceptance/objections from Jeff and Andrew before we commit to it.

I dont see any problems with the RoboWars arena, so I'm happy to say its all good as far as I'm concerned and the next RoboWars event (looking like December again for the big bash at the moment before anyone asks, more info soon), but its up to you interstate EO's as to when/if you want to adopt this new weight class..

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Ok i havent looked in this thread for a about a week so didnt even know it was being discused until tonight .. so i just had 3 days worth of posts to wade through .
The weight change is ok by me if its to engourage new builders and overseas builders to come here ect ...i was origionaly oposed to changes just to suit a few builders wanted it just to suit them selves as they couldnt get under weight and still keep their wheapons ect .. so iff its agreed by the poll its ok by me

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:19 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mm just looked at the poll ... come on fellsa if you all want to be counted in this important issue im sure there are more than 17 people building robots in Aus now .. not hard to click in the little box Very Happy

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:25 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I am against the increase not because I don't like the thought of everyone adding more power to there robot because i could use the extra 1.6 kg but because is there really any reason.

First of all we are currently able to go to the UK or US and compete. If we change the weight class we can still go to the US but no longer the UK without cutting the weight.

As my first robot weight 15kg the weight class might be better for beginners but are you going to change the weight class again when beginners start complaining that there bots weigh 15 instead of 13.6.

Thirdly I think it will still be a challenge to get your robot underweight whether beginner or vetran you still like to think that you can have more power, more armour, more batteries and people will simply continue to build a robot even when they expect it to be overwieght.

I think our official weight should be 12kg but it be flexible for first timers (up to 13.6kg) then we can have the best of both worlds.

Feel free to point out the many points that i have missed i may yet be converted.

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:44 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I think that 30 lb is a good move for the long term good of our sport in Australia. Very Happy
I agree with George and others that it will make the feathers tougher to break in too but I don’t think that’s a bad thing, the feather class does seem to be evolving into the formula one of Australian Robot combat.
The noob’s can start off with a hobby or lightweight or even a novelty bot if they don’t won’t to mix it with the feathers first off.

Some reasons I think are relevant

To build a bot to be competitive with the best of the yanks is hard enough .To build it to the pommies limit then modify it to 30lb would seriously complicate most designs.

Once things pick up it will improve the chances of American visitors coming here, a feather in a suet case is a lot easier than shipping a heavy.

The Poms can still visit us and then they can armour up and it becomes there problem.

Those of us serious abought going to the USA can get more realistic practice in here before they go.

After building a number of robots I think that 12.0 is a bit light to build a well balanced robot using the readily available parts with a reliable active weapon, I normally end up sacrificing armour.
Bear in mind that the robowars judging guidelines count an active weapon that ceases to function during a match as damage received therefore a compromised weapon design can really work against you and we don’t really won’t to go to a pushy bot’s.

The way the majority of us were happy to go along with the 12.99limit gives me the impression that I was not alone struggling with the weight. After all compared with 12.99 and taking into account of the hard limit that I am also in favour of we are only picking up aprox 0.5 kg over our old limit.

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:33 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Does anyone think that it is going to be easy to stick with the 13.6 kg limit? You will probably find you over shoot to 15 kg when aiming for 13.6 kg. People find it hard to keep their weight down to 100 kg for the heavies. Increasing the weight limit will not makr the balance between battery, drive, weapon and armour weights any easier.

The only consideration is do we want to change to conform to the American weights.

In another 18 months we might be discussing changing to 15 kg. I hope not.

I hope that in 1.5 years you can tell me that I was wrong.

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:43 pm 
Eyce

Considering we are most likely changing to the 13.6kg limit, we still should be aiming for 12kg, as it compensates for any overweighteness, and if there is any weight left, you could use a gyro, add foam to support your battery, etc.

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:02 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I don’t follow your 15 kg suggestion. Confused
The reasons for the change are primarily to conform to the original American weight classes where the sport originated from in the first place.

To distort those numbers to make round numbers in the metric system is where the problem came from in the first place.
Compounding these mistakes by falling in line with the pomes makes no sense to me.

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:08 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:
I don’t follow your 15 kg suggestion. Confused

Have another look "In another 18 months we might be discussing changing to 15 kg. I hope not." That was not a suggestion. That was a concern that we might continually change the weight limt.

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:36 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I dont see any reason that we would want to change to 15Kg in time.

It wouldnt make sense to go from a english standard to a US one for reasons of greater compatibility with being able to fight existing bots, then do an about face and go to a standard that no-one uses.

Unless of course we all get our butts kicked so hard by visiting yanks, that we sulk and invent our own class to keep them away Laughing

I agree that not matter what class you aim for, people will always hit the wall and have to struggle.. if we allowed 18Kg, some would argue for 20. But thats not reason to not do it, as we arent considering it primarily to make less people struggle with weight.

The main reason to me is that I can see the possibility of significant international compeition with the yanks being more likely than with our english friends. Having said that, there were some UK guys who want to come out for the next RoboWars, but I'm sure they will still make it if they seriously want to come.

Ignroing the tech benefits, which I think can be argued equally in either direction, for and against.. compliance with the major international standard in the interest of promoting across-the-pond competition, with a few fringe benefits to allow some more mechanical-wizardy is the big plus IMO.

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

There is an unquestionable majority in favour of 13.6 kg. I will happily build to this weight.

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:19 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Have another look "In another 18 months we might be discussing changing to 15 kg. I hope not." That was not a suggestion. That was a concern that we might continually change the weight limt.[/quote]

13.6 kg still complys with the rules as 15kg dosent so no one should be asking to change to 15kg and since the majority of the fighting rbots are from the yanks and they are 30lb why not go by there standards.

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:15 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I bet chrisjons first comment will be "i told u so".

well considering i was told on several hundred occasions that raising the weight above 12kg was out of the question strange to see things have changed Confused
one thing that needs to be looked at is the old 200g buffer that seems to be the in thing at the moment
if a bot weighs in at 13.8 is that ok ...??
if thats the case we are now building only 200g under 14kg ......its starting to get up to where i wanted to be 2 years ago ,its taken a while but at last some people seeing the light ...........bring on the weight increase Wink

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:54 pm