www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

MELBOURNE - RoboWars Night EDIT: SUNDAY 17TH @ CCHS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Cyber

MELBOURNE - RoboWars Night EDIT: SUNDAY 17TH @ CCHS

EDIT:

I'm catching up with some people interested in getting into building a bot for robowars this sunday the 17th Oct at the CCHS. I understand it's not the most central location for everyone but, if you can make it, you'd be most welcome and it would be much appreciated to have some experienced builders at the space to show off their creations and give some advice to new builders. Anyone new to robowars is welcome to come out and get involved and do some work on a bot of their own if they wish. It's free to come along this Sunday. Info on the space itself and details on membership etc can be found at the site http://www.hackmelbourne.org

Feel free to provide input/feedback on this and if you have other suggestions on ways we can get people together to chat about / build robots please put them forward Smile

-----------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a regular 'robowars night' going for working on bots at the CCHS (hackmelbourne.org, located in Hawthorn near Glenferrie station) and also for meeting with newcomers to the RoboWars scene who are interested but don't really know where to start. It'd be a good central location to meet other folks, share ideas and get help outside of the forums here.

If you're interested in coming along, please make a post and let me know what nights would suit you. Membership fees apply after the first couple of visits but you're welcome to come check it out obligation free. If like me you don't have the space or the tools at home to work on building a bot it's well worth it

If there's interest perhaps this thread could get stickied for future VIC visitors to the forum to see?

Cheers,
Tim

PS. I hope this is okay to post - mods please delete if it isn't

Last edited by Cyber on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:07 pm 
0xFFFF

Hey Tim, It's a good idea but it is too far away for me.
I know other people who are in the same boat.

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:39 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Would like to stop by some time but not as a regular thing.

Was wondering if you’re interested in a pair of bots on a sort of semi permanent loan for as long as there any use.

Overdrive and Little Mac were built to show beginners how to get something moving, used as soccer bots their couple of old computer cases with drill drives.

Featured in APC a long time ago, Useful for testing speed controllers etc.

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 pm 
seanet1310

If I am free a day it is on I will attend but my availability at nights is a tad limited at times so best not work around me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyber

Hi all!

I'm catching up with some people interested in getting into building a bot for robowars this sunday the 17th Oct at the CCHS. I understand it's not the most central location for everyone but, if you can make it, you'd be most welcome and it would be much appreciated to have some experienced builders at the space to show off their creations and give some advice to new builders. Anyone new to robowars is welcome to come out and get involved and do some work on a bot of their own if they wish. It's free to come along this Sunday. Info on the space itself and details on membership etc can be found at the site http://www.hackmelbourne.org

Feel free to provide input/feedback on this and if you have other suggestions on ways we can get people together to chat about / build robots please put them forward Smile

Cheers!
Tim

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:
Would like to stop by some time but not as a regular thing.

Was wondering if you’re interested in a pair of bots on a sort of semi permanent loan for as long as there any use.

Overdrive and Little Mac were built to show beginners how to get something moving, used as soccer bots their couple of old computer cases with drill drives.

Featured in APC a long time ago, Useful for testing speed controllers etc.

Thanks very much for the offer! That would be absolutely tops! Please let me know if you can make it this Sunday, otherwise would I be able to arrange to pick the bots up from you before then? Thanks!

@seanet1310: Would be great to see you there if you can make it Smile

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just so happens the car is still full of all the stuff we took to Ipswich, just need to throw the computer bots in on top.
Probably can be there just need a little time to recover from hectic lead up prep, 3.5+K drive and 2 day event and smashed windscreen logistics.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:19 pm 
seanet1310

What time are you thinking? I suspect I can probably make it at this stage. Ill try to drag my latest failure up, it is still in the suitcase. Only issue is I suspect I left the remote in QLD so may need to use a backup or it will just look pretty.

Easy enough to get to (if not a little bit of a travel but no where near as bad as for Gary), just behind (or in front) one of my old high schools.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shreddy

I should be able to make it there; re-assembled Hurricane over the past weekend so that is able to run (minus the weapon though, too dangerous for that).

I don't quite understand where the entry is to the hackerspace despite looking at it on google. If you could enlighten me then that would be excellent.
To everyone thinking of going, parking around the uni is mostly free on Sundays.

I go to uni at Swinburne just across the road so if some of you are interested I could give you guys a quick tour of the workshop afterwards where the Formula SAE team I'm on operates. Heaps of cool engineering/machining/carbon fibre/electronics there.

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:11 am 
Cyber

thanks for the replies Smile How does 10am sound?

If you point google maps at 5 Kent Lane, Hawthorn, it will get you there pretty well on foot or by car. It's a little cobblestone lane just back from the main road and the CCHS is about halfway along. This is it here (the white roller door) - though it has signs up now so is easier to spot: http://tinyurl.com/oulu4hb

Not much parking there but the carpark opposite usually is empty on Sunday

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:53 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

Yes I will come will be interesting.10am should be fine and Sunday works well for me. Have to go up to Albert park to pick up an eBay item. Good I'm not going up only for that now.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:30 pm 
seanet1310

10 should work.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:00 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

10am Sunday ?! Who's up at such silly hours ?
My philosophy is if the best way to see a sunrise is if you havent been to bed yet ! Wink
I'll try to come along to say hello, but it might not be until luchtime-ish. When will you be there *until ?

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyber

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
10am Sunday ?! Who's up at such silly hours ?
My philosophy is if the best way to see a sunrise is if you havent been to bed yet ! Wink
I'll try to come along to say hello, but it might not be until luchtime-ish. When will you be there *until ?

would be great to catch up with you Smile I'll be around til late, I have plenty to work on

cheers

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:01 pm 
Andrew W

I should be able to make it. I might even be able to bring my robot.

Post Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:53 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

its a dream come true for Overdrive and Little Mac to go live at hackerspace

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:43 pm