www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Potential web-revampers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm happy to tender space on my Dreamhost account if required (I've had my account and domains with Dreamhost for over 10 years now) and will commit to long term availability if you wanted to shift the gallery? Would save cluttering up Brett's Uber account and would allow users to upload photos with less restrictions.

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 pm 
Cyber

I also have hosting with Net Virtue who are a reputable mob and a premium service. (costs a pretty penny too).

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the site lately but I've messed with the menus and what not... i was hoping to get some feedback from Brett on whether he's happy with what I'm doing and wants it to continue. Also I'll still need access to the existing hosting if I want to look at integrating the gallery and stuff. I don't think the existing gallery needs much work just better support for modern media

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:44 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Im about to give Uber the finger and move over to NetVirtue. I just havent got around to it yet. Unimpressed with Uber wsince about Xmas last year, they really fell in a hole and dont seem to be making much effort to improve despite saying they are.

Netvirtue Ive been trialling with a couple of recent clients, and been happy with so far.

I also have a dreamhost account, but its no use for the forum. US hosted phpBB is too slow, the longr ping times make page loads about 2x-3x longer last I tested it. Thats why I have an Australian host for speed-critical stuff.

Since the easiest way to move hosts is to do a cpanel-copy, which means relocating the whole server and all the other stuff it does as well, I havent been ina hurry to tackle it, because I suspect there will be some transfer issues (there nearly always is), plus DNS changes and so on.

I should be able to work on this in the next week or two, so keep planning and working out what you want to do, it will happen. its just not high on the priority list this week. Smile

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyber

If you're using cpanel on both ends Your best bet for migration would be to export the whole database and reimport using PHPmyadmin and then move across all the files. Its non destructive and lets you run both in parallel

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:43 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

yes, but that doesnt take care of all the many email accounts (with unknown passwords), sub domains, redirectors, ftp accounts, other sql databases and who knows what else I cant remember right now that this server has accumulated in the last 10+ years.

To catch all of those with minimum hassle, Im thinking a Cpanel copy is the way to go, although Im not sure what its going to do with potentially old versions of php and modules etc

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyber

True.. though how much of that is actually needed for a forum and a few html pages? unless there's more going on with this site than I can see Razz

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:26 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

This robowars site is not the only thing that this server runs. Its a combined business hosting server that runs several domains and quite a few other functions. As well as a bunch of sub domains, cads, emails for about 50 people and all sorts of stuff not related to the robowars forum.

Thus my apparent laziness at relocating it. its not as simple as it looks on the surface Smile But I do want to do it. Had a bit of a clash with Uber on behalf of another client over poor email server support just recently and thats encourage me even more to hurry up and take my business elswhere.

So far NetVirtue have been looking really good.. Sadly, Once upon a time a company called "Hosting Shop" was a bunch of friendly helpful guys with great support, pricing and reliability. they got bought out by a company called "AussieHQ", who put the prices up, but still werent bad service wise, then they got absorbed into a corporation called "Uber" who put the serice standard way down. and people started jumping ship in all directions.

a depressingly familair story in the I.T. World (Hello TPG, Internode etc). so while NetVirtue might be the good guys today, I can only hope they will resist the temptation to take the big boys money and run, far into the future..

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:56 pm 
Cyber

Howdy Brett

I've been keeping an eye on the forums here while slowly working away at my 'bot construction and mulling over ideas about hosting a get-together myself. Lots of progress on the bot... not so much with anything else I'm afraid! Just thought I'd check in and see how things have gone with the move to NV. I'd still love to have a play with a copy of the site, if that's on the cards

I used to use Hosting Shop for some dedicated servers actually. Not a bad mob back in the day. Have definitely been satisfied with NV for the last 3 years.

Cheers
Tim

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:36 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Greetings Tim,

The NV move hasnt happened yet.

I planned to do it around Xmas-Nye, when work was quiet, but I got a big Wifi network setup job dumped on me unexpectedly. (About a cubic Meter of Ubiquiti gear dropped off just before Xmas with a "please setup/make all this work for us by Jan 6th" request ! Smile. Well, they're paying Top$, and I get to do it all at home so why not.

So, Ive nearly wrapped it all up, the stuff is due to be collected in a few days, and Ill probably have to do some remote install support on Jan 7/8/9. Assuming all goes well, I plan to move the site to NV just after that is complete.

Hopefully a Cpanel copy will allow me to pull everything on the server (as i said, its not just this site it run) across with a minimum of hackery required to get it all back online. Once its up and running on the new server, we can do some tests to see if thats resolved some long-standing niggling mail issues (topic reply notifications, account recovery etc ), then we can work on integrating any changes/upgrades.

as far as a "copy" of the site goes, Im happy to give you a copy of the phpBB code and associated folders with its tweaks and mods included, Not so sure on the SQL database though,

While I doubt there's anything super confidential in there, it does have everyone's email addresses and passwords (hashed but still), personal messages and so on, so I dont feel comfy giving it to someone else, I think the users deserve to have their privacy respected more than releasing all that info to someone to tinker with upgrades. I dont think you need the real database to tinker with the code, the install script will setup a new empty dB for you easily enough.

So, sorry for the delay, but got to get this job done, The week of about Jan 10 ok with you ?
regards
Brett

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:38 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Would it be possible to include a button to make the text bigger? Thanks.

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:10 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats normally a function of your browser, rather than the server end.

If you are using a PC, try holding down Control, and rolling your mouse wheel up or down.

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:32 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks, Brett. I have a font size increase tool installed on Chrome,but it doesn't increase the text on this site. It works on some sites. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/font-size-increase/ombpcpigmndepfckcifdblemkabaoihk?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

Zooming in on a page does work. The only inconvenience is when there are pictures and I have to move the screen left and right to read the text.

I should get a bigger monitor than my 17" 4:3. Or reading glasses.

A site I frequent has a text increase function on it. The site has Christian content. Just in case anyone is offended. http://creation.com/trilobite-technology It is on the right towards the top.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:16 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I had a look, I dont think phpBB has a similair function that I know of.

Its kind of weird to do it server side, since most HTML just specifies font sizes relative to whatever your browser is set to use as a base size. That way its supposed to be device-independent.

That site probably does a per-user-session temporary alteration to the CSS (cascading style scripts). Does it remember the setting from one visit to another, or do you need to click it each time ? I suppose it could store the setting in the user profile.

Ill keep an eye out, but Ive never seen such a thing for phpBB, and as already discussed, Im not keen to change to different forum software and all the potential minefields that entails unless there are significant benefits.

According to this
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/LeAwG_pX7VI
(copy paste the whole URL, the # is confusing the auto-link)
page where people complain about Chromes Font sizes.

"Options | Under the Hood | Web Content | Font size: Customize fonts... | Fonts and Encoding : Use the bar: Tiny - Huge, and set the default font at the exact size you want! "

Might be a worth a try, I havent tried it, so I cant promise it will work, but lots of discussion on that page.

Another alternative (if you're the tinkering sort) is to use Greasemonkey under Firefox or Tampermonkey for Chrome to make a per-site customising script that basically lets you change anything about the site you like on your end. Very popular with Facebook users and other people who want to edit the look and feel of a site.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:26 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for all of that. I will try to sort it out using your suggestions.

Other than that, I wouldn't change anything about the site.

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:16 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It would also be great to have better compatibility with YouTube so we can embed videos again.

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 am