www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

New Builder [VIC]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Shadowsolair

New Builder [VIC]

Hey everyone
my name is Aaron and I have recently been bitten by the bug, I have been watching Robot Wars and Battle bots every day when on break, looking and seeing what seems to work, and after reading over the rules here i have some lovely ideas that I will begin drawing up plans for, money wise I don't really have a budget, but I have loads of RC parts and gear available to me which increases bit by bit,
Well that's all for now Smile

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:35 pm 
maddox

Hi Aaron, Greetings from Belgium.

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cpnwolfe

Awesome to hear mate welcome Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:48 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Good work Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:02 pm 
seanet1310

Depending on the RC gear you have you could start by building something like an old skool ant (microservo drive and/or weapon), beatle or even sportsmen style bot to get something moving and learn some of the design and build strategies.

Unfortunately there are not many active people in Victoria right now. I don't have anything that works now and Rotwang has recently popped up again after a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowsolair

Thanks for the warm welcome,
just out of curiosity how active are these forums?
and how often roughly are events held?
[so I have a ball park time to get a bot assembled]
And from what I have read in the rules "Feather weight" is the way to go?

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:53 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

I guess its a pretty active forum from probably the 30 or so active robot builders in Australia and probably another 10 from overseas.

The main event is the Australian Robowars Nationals held at the Ipswich art gallery in Queensland on 10-11 october…. but this year we also had a sportsman class featherweight event at vivid festival in Sydney in july. Hopefuly that will be happening again next year. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:17 pm 
Shadowsolair

Well my first task is to organise some workspace, and well yeah do designing
Looking at the rules and weapon restrictions
does make for a interesting bot, but time will tell...
as I have a few nice ideas but I'm debating what weapon to use
Spinning blade, hammer style or spear style...

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:18 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Spears typically don't do much unless they are insanely overpowered (lookin at you, Jake Smile ) hammers or axes are very popular with audiences and are fairly effective, particularly in the sports man class. Spinning weapons are where to for sheer destruction.

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:33 pm 
Cyber

Hi Shadowsolair

Just saw your post and wanted to let you know I am based in melbourne (sandringham, but I do robotics out at Hawthorn). You'd be welcome to join me in building a bot or challenge me with one of your own Smile It's early days but there are some motivated and skilled builders out there and I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to get an arena and a few bots together for a match.

I've only just joined this forum here but i'm keen to get a bot built and enter in the national comps as well

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:35 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Cool well still a few weeks till Nats. If you can afford the trip a Sportsman entry with two drills, couple of TZ85as, Lipo and a Winch will get you going fast.

Steve

Post Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:42 am 
Shadowsolair

Awesome Stuff Cyber, I'm in Werribee literally opposite side of the bay! Lol
I am still at the drawing up phase of construction, but definitely a WIP Smile

Post Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:09 am 
Cyber

hey mate

sent you a PM regarding meeting up on a saturday Smile let me know if you're interested in teaming up to put a bot together

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:13 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

There is still an Arena (it probably needs a more solid roof built than the netting we used to use) in storage at SideTracked Entertainment Center in Oakleigh

It got packed up and put away because after I had to stop organizing events (after nearly 10 years doing them), it seemed that a lot of the builders couldn't be bothered keeping things going. Gary (Rotwang) tried hard to keep things moving, but without beating the bushes and encouragement, the less dedicated builders didnt show..

So, that was all a while ago now, and Gary has recently found some time to get his hand back in. If someone else is willing to organize events, I might build another bot myself too.

If enough keen builders can be found, it might be possible to convince Sidetracked to hold another event - they have rebuilt their dodgem car arena which would be a great place to assemble the robowars arena - but Im not going to run any more events myself..

Ill put in a good word to the owner of Sidetracked if Im convinced that someone has been found that will do a good professional responsible job of it, but I dont have the time or inclination to be what is essentially like being the host of a party. you work really hard to make sure everyone else has a good time, and barely have any time to enjoy it yourself.

[cue Lorax Voice]
So, prospective melbourne buiders, I just thought Id let you know that there *is already 90% of a ready built arena *and a great public venue for RoboWars events lurking in the background.. but you'll have to get a decent field of working builders and bots together *first, *and find a ringmaster to run the show. If you can do that, then Melbourne events *might come back to life.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cyber

that's awesome!! thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely keen to get an event going and am willing to play host if need be... although I've never done it there's only one way to learn right??

I have had a couple more people express interest in participating in a battlebots build... talking about it and doing are two different things though so we will see where that leads... I will keep looking for builders and report back Smile

cheers
tim

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:52 pm