www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robowars Sydney 2015 - 30 May - Cargo Hall OPT @ Circular Qu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yeah can't do much about viewing area unless you have an amphitheatre type venue or some big screens and a camera crew.

The view wasn't too bad though considering the setup, and the venue had the right sort of industrial atmosphere Smile

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I will check my boxes for the cables - did they say what length? All their cables had a red band at the end.

Rather than buy LED panels, it would be cheaper to buy some LED fluro tube replacements and build them into a box or find a surplus trough light fitting from an office re-fit. The LED tubes are getting fairly cheap and two of them would be about the same output as those photo panels. I can knock up some fittings before the Nationals if nobody else wants to.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:37 am 
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
Agree with both of those.

Speakers were meant to be out of the pits but due to cabling didn't end up like that.

I thought we had 4x LED panels we only had two going at the end. Should be able to get a few more of something similar from China and I think we would be fine.

Other real issue is needing more viewing area but short of bigger arena not sure what we can do there.

Steve

We only had 3 LED panels from M&J on the roof. It worked in QLD because of where the arena was (and time of day would have helped). Wonder why we ended up down to 2. :S LED's are a million times better than the old sweatbox halogens though so well worth the investment if it can be made. (We also lose a few halogens over a 2 day event so less maintenance mid event)

Re cables, just checked my bags. No luck Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

No luck with the cables either - in fact I'm down a short one myself. Miles mentioned the panels were several hundred dollars (still cheap for that type) and the LED tubes are around $40 each so 4x tubes in 2 fittings would be much cheaper.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Finally recovered, geez that was a mega event Shocked I've never seen a crowd as in to it as the vivid go-ers were, not even in at the UK champs. That was just something special to be part of.

Thank you very much x 100 to Steve, Erica and Angus for doing the organising as well as Mr and Mrs Martin for bringing the arena and giving Aaron and i a lift back from getting the extinguishers (very appreciated!) as well as everyone that did their part. Absolutely an event to remember.

Didn't get much time to catch up with a lot of you but hopefully we'll fix that come nationals time Very Happy

Keen for vids and pics too if anyone has a few of citizen flips in action!

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

hey fuckers

Kristy did a vlog thing.

Skip to around 10-15 mins in to see robuts

Rest of it is raging at wacky overpriced foods, dumb security guards who want to refuse disabled peoples from a disabled viewing area's, lotsa damn people who want to block walkways and get huffy when asked to move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5KDLJMTc3w

link^^^

Sorry if i was a lil meh at this event, my buddy Mark being there made it awesome and helped a bunch. He sounds keen to get into it and come to Nats. He fell in love with Miles and Jules and wanted to hook up with Steves girly i think, haha Wanted to smack that commentator in the teeth as he was shitting me royal, the lighting was fairly low and couldnt find shit. my robots sucked blah blah blah

Overall props to people involved in event, seeing peoples after a long layoff was nice even if i was in a bad head space

Props to Miles and Jules for being amazing as always drivings stuff and winnings

Heres hopeing vivid have us back in future

Also heres an idea, get Kristy to officially take pics/judge/help.

Shes been to a bunch of events, takes awesome pics. Knows more about this shit than some of the people being asked to judge.

Im fucking off for a while, got alot of shit to take care of, will get into it after i move hopefully into a place with some garage space where i can build something not crap

Keen for Nats but play it by ear

Take care and if you need me urgent most of you have my details

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:33 pm 
Braindeadtradie - Mark

quote:
Sorry if i was a lil meh at this event, my buddy Mark being there made it awesome and helped a bunch. He sounds keen to get into it and come to Nats. He fell in love with Miles and Jules and wanted to hook up with Steves girly i think, haha Wanted to smack that commentator in the teeth as he was shitting me royal, the lighting was fairly low and couldnt find shit. my robots sucked blah blah blah

id just like too clarify that even though i spent a great deal of time talking with all the builders let me be clear i have nothing but respect for relationships and would not want too in anyway appear to be trying to jeopardize that. Sorry for any miss intended confusion.
That is all.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:27 pm 
andrew

Only mentioned it mucking around and nothing serious. All jest and fun.

Aint nobody trying to steal nobodys womens

Post Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:29 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Probably the best event I've been to. The action kept going all night and the crowd was just insane.

Endless thanks to the Super Troopers of the Martin Clan, Steve, Erica, Neil, Ceciel and Anthony. Your dedication could be classified as an obsession/insanity.
Thanks to the Devison Division, not only para trooping in from WA, but providing video work, judging, trophies and foot work.
Thanks to Jake and Cassie for repeatedly cleaning the arena between matches, helping other builders building their bots and for helping with the pack up at the end of the night.
Thanks to Nick for setting up the awesome light show, we probably should have stuck you on the microphone and music too!
Thanks to Glen who let me live in his workshop for many weeks leading up to this event, till stupid hours of the morning, for introducing me to TIG welding (I hate you, I can't use my MIG anymore!) and being a generally good chap.

Thanks to all the builders who spent stupid amounts of time building all kinds of cool bots and putting in the effort to make the event successful. I think sportsmen are the future for the public events!

Going to have a couple of quiet weeks then design my entry for Nationals!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:20 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Wow what an event thankyou so much to Steve, Erica, Angus for all the work you put into all the organising and the agony that went into this whole event! It was a huge success big congrats to you. I loved the pace and enjoyed the 3-11 pm all in one battle. Lets do more of them.
Also thanks to Vivid for having us.
Thanks to Ashleigh for the fantastic T-shirt design once again x. Neil, Cecilia what can i say for all the work you did beforehand on the arena and carting it down to sydney and food coffee and all the other things you do that we take for granted (we owe you cash) !
Angus for those amazing trophies (i have one!)
Thanks to all who judged and Angus sister sadly cant recall her name, for standing there for 8 hours filming.
All the builders probably the best bunch of liquorice allsorts i have ever known! Sean, Steve, Erica, Adam, Dylan, Aaron, Daniel, Andrew, Ben, Glen, Miles for all the time and effort put into building. Apart from the mighty Citizen Flips my fav goes to brutal Brutas!

Nick for lighting, Nathan for some hilarious commentating ( i liked his sense if humour) Kate for her genius nut and bolt techniques, Jake and Cassie for all their work and support and waiting with me til Miles came at the end and Steve and Erica and you were all so tired x x x
i am looking forward to doing a builders report this has been the biggest learning curve for me and i am buzzing to build a new robot for nats.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Last edited by miles&Jules on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:55 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

and does everyone realize we were on our feet for 17 hours that day😅and some probably longer!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:59 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

here some pics

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:20 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

The event looked great - I wish I could have made it. Or built a bot...

One quick thing - if the official video (or some of it) makes it onto YouTube before the end of the week (well, Friday Midday) I will put a post up on Gizmodo.com.

I am filling in there this week only though - after that I can ask them to take a look at it, but no promises.

I have no idea if this is of interest, or a feasible time frame, but putting the offer out there.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh probably infeasible. Will be a few weeks at least.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:08 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

With Australian internet it'd take a week to upload em lol.

Took 3 hours or so for the two I uploaded. Looking forward to the official ones the lighting should really set them off

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number