www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

C6 VFD conversion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

While you were researching the VFD drive, did you find anything about the number of poles they can drive? I am looking at adding VFD to my band saw and to slow it down enough to saw steel, I figure on fitting an 8 pole, 750 RPM 3 phase motor so I don't have to mess around with extra belt reduction.

None of the VFDs I have looked at have much detailed info and don't specify how many poles they can work with - that might mean they don't care but I don't want to buy all the parts and then find they don't work together.

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:23 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I haven't, but one would imagine it would be no different to any other pole count motor. It's just outputting a frequency. Fairly sure it would be fine.

There's a 400hz limit on the chinese VFD's, not that most induction motors will run that high without flinging apart mind you, lol.

Try get the vector control ones if you can, they are very cheap now and should have more torque at low RPMs. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1HP-0-75KW-380VAC-VFD-Inverter-Variable-Frequency-Drive-Inverter-Vector-Control-/400829219554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d534882e2

haven't read up on how good they are though yet.

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for the link; after much googling, it seems the motor is going to be harder to get than the VFD. Perhaps I will convert the mill first as the motor is much easier to order on line.

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:52 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Can't say i've come across any 8 pole motors. Is it not practical to put a simple reduction setup on it with a 4 pole motor?

Also put a tachometer on the lathe. The stock sensor is hillariously long so it doesnt fit anywhere. Had to make my own with honeywell hall effect sensor and a random magnet. So so happy with it Smile

Also had enough of the motor fan sucking in swarf, some mesh should fix that!

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

That sensor feed into the VFD for the space vector drive or just to a tacho?

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Just to the tachometer, no point wiring it in and trying to decipher the PID stuff, the motor is hugely oversized. Probably needs a proper encoder to work decently at low RPMS anyway. That can be done when its CNC lathe time Smile

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:13 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Great idea with the mesh in the fan guard! My band saw has a single stage reduction and while I was able to buy a slightly larger pulley for it there just isn't any space for more reduction. That Conlon motor site mentions at least 6 pole motors, which might be enough with the bigger pulley and a vector drive VFD. Jimmy from Conlon rang me about my order and mentioned a big shipment just arrived, so I will ask about the 6 pole motors.

What did you use to display the RPM on the lathe?

BTW, does that VFD mill at work still have its original 2-stage pulleys in it? I was looking at mine and there seemed no way to run a belt straight from the motor to the quill without the column getting in the way.

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:03 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I think we put a bigger pulley on the motor.

Incidentally, that's a 6 pole motor too

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Yep, it has an enormous iron pulley on the motor which causes the belt to just clear the column. The motor is super over size so it has full torque from very low rpm even with next to no gearing.

The tach is this http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/131040969953?nav=SEARCH

From testing it'll run on 6-24v, has a 5v output and triggers active low. Quite decent given the money Smile the sensor is just too awkward to use on the lathe.

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 am