www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Decimator - Team Demon - NSW (download limits beware)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I haven't organised anything yet, but you can freight some stuff to the UK along with Mr Mangle to save on baggage. Its totally worth going - the UK championships is the only event in the world with 50 featherweights competing.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Will look into it Cool

Better get into gear then. Managed to bust the stator out of the bearing tube with zero fuss this time. Freezing it for a few days worked a treat! Held the stator in one hand and smacked it out with a drift in the other. Delightfully painless Cool

Just have to turn up a new bearing tube with lots more bolt holes and that will get the weapon spinning in the interim so i can smash some stuff with the spare disk Evil or Very Mad

Still looking into the hub motors.. Haven't found any place to buy stators so i might have to drop in at the scrap shop and see if they have any old laser printers. If not then definitely just going to give up and hack a 300w scooter into a test motor Razz

Another thing that needs more research is to try an air core axial motor. That could make the packaging much easier and without the need for a traditional stator, perhaps easier to make to the right specs.

They certainly seem to work Shocked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j53FIHP3bPw

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here is a possible lamination source: http://www.protolam.com/

I am amazed about getting that bearing tube out - did you just use a regular freezer? That could be a very handy trick!

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:10 pm 
maddox

Damn, just freezing it to -25°C or so?

I'm going to try that with the busted NTM5060 I have around.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Yes! I turned the freezer to max (sorry mum lol!) so probably about -18c, left it for 3 days until it was completely frosty then it pushed out with no force at all Smile I would have taken a video had i known it would work so well hehe.

Don't recall the NTM motors having the retaining pin on the stator so you could probably just twist it off by hand after freezing.

So! Seeing as though i have never travelled further than the adjacent state and have no idea, what kind of price is average for a UK flight? Looks like $1800 return is the median. Reckon a stop over is ideal? 23 hours on a plane is a fking long time! Shocked

Post Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 pm 
maddox

Other option I have, is to cut a 3mm keyway in it, and mount it on a solid 10mm axle.

Making a new end bell with some serious bearings should solve all the weak points in 1 go.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:05 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think there are any direct flights to the UK, 23 hours is about right for a flight with one short stop-over. If you want a bit of a holiday, you could do a one day stop-over in places like Hong Kong or Singapore, I can't see much attraction in stopping in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

If you arrived on the same day, we could share a drive up to the venue, its much more convenient than a train or bus. The UK is really easy to drive in as long as the car has GPS.

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:56 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

You guys heading to the uk event will be epic….aslong as you don't have to fight each other up first he he.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:30 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That would be a disaster! Luckily, all the qualifying rounds are 3 way matches, so we can beat up a local robot and get some points. Twisted Evil

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Surprised

Not commiting to going yet but still planning anyway. Looks fairly doo-able though! *much excite*

Best get decimator modified then. Purchased some 3mm dragon plate carbon fibre to replace the HDPE bottom plates that flexed too much and seem to have permanently bent. The top will remain 5mm HDPE though.

Need to sort out a proper link and redo all the wiring of course. Looking at their rules the LED has to be powered via the main power line which is something most of us here don't do..

I might look at farming the new weapon motor stator mounts out to a CNC place because they are just so time consuming to make. If i get it done on a cnc lathe then i can just machine the part square myself later on to save some cash. Gotta get some quotes on that this week Smile

Also drives i need to sort out asap. May as well just buy the higher reduction banebots gearboxes and try aarons brushless setup out weight permitting.

And lastly need to power on with the new blade design. So little time Shocked [/img]

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:26 pm 
Eventorizon-GB

Wait.. are you coming to the world champs at GSL Glen, with Decimator?!!

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:03 am 
Grant_RoboChallenge

Excellent news! As I said to Nick, if you do come over and need any help with anything then please let us know.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:35 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Eventorizon-GB:
Wait.. are you coming to the world champs at GSL Glen, with Decimator?!!

At this stage, yes!

Cheers Grant, I will probably look at air freighting the robot and spares over there so might need a hand at some stage Smile

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:26 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

After Glen's sneaky bait 'n switch at our national championships, I predict he will bring the flipper bot instead of the spinner Laughing

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:00 pm 
Grant_RoboChallenge

No problem at all, I don't know if it would work out much cheaper to send yours and nicks machines together or not? Either way we have people at our factory 5days a week so can collect and look after them securely for you until you arrive in Birmingham.
We are at gadget show live with the full arena set up from the 7th and the competition starts on the 9th. Feel free to come for the earlier days too so that you can test your machines or relax/demonstrate before the competition Smile

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:04 pm