www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Classified - Team Manifest - ACT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Have you left the metal ring on the motor?

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:03 am 
Thomas AIC

yup, still loose on the ring Confused

Post Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Maybe kmart 18v 550s are slightly bigger than 12v Embarassed

Post Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 am 
Thomas AIC

Got my drives sorted. I did have to redo the motor mount to fit my motor (with sleeve on), hole diameter 37.5mm in my CAD model for reference. The gearbox mount fitted well. Very Happy

Now gotta get into the workshop to get the heavy work done, then on to the weapon!

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

cool…also don't forget that aluminium box section on those printed mounts Very Happy

Post Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:51 pm 
Thomas AIC

Bought the Al box section for my mounts, and secured the two main bits of my frame together. It looks like no difference to my previous photos, but drilled and countersunk 8 6mm holes. It took way longer than I thought it would.

Is 6mm Aluminium an overdone featherweight base? everyone puts their armour mass into the side armour and it's obvious why, so am I wasting weight here? I'm thinking of just using polycarbonate for the top cover now. I've got heaps of it lying around.

so far Steel+Al weighs just under 5kg. Solid as anything though.

Next workshop day I should be able to complete the drill mounts and grind the wheel holes in the base, maybe even have something driving. The electronics all work, though there's substantial sparking when stopping or changing direction on the drill motors, makes me very nervous.

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Looking good chief, if you weld the angle together then sure you should be able to drill some big holes in the bottom pieces.

Those brushless motors are really good too, I've used one on a compressor and they have impressive torque for a hobbyking motor.

The sparking is common especially when the drills are new as the brushes aren't bedded in all the way. Although they typically don't last long enough to wear in haha.

Post Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thomas AIC

Yeah Glen they are great, grabbed a couple on liquidation for cheap but that was a couple years ago now.

In other news, I've got Drum Hub 1.0. Will see how they fit tomorrow, should press fit nicely for welding or epoxy. Bearings included and $6.50 each so the price is definitely right. The steel is pretty soft and thin though, maybe filling it with some sort of epoxy is called for, but tests will determine that. A large part of the design choices have been made on cheap availability of replacement parts and this is no exception. They take a 1/2" shaft, I might go exotic on the shaft material just for fun.

Post Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:08 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

having one solid top or bottom isn't a bad idea, it'll help stop the frame from turning into a parallelogram on a big hit, but yeah when you are over weight thin that bit down some ;->

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

5mm aluminium is pretty light weight….its less than half the weight of steel…..thats what piccasso has for its base. Very Happy

you could probably make the length smaller ..also off centre wheel alignment will make you bot smaller and drive straighter. Very Happy

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:40 am 
Thomas AIC

Thanks, I don't really have any experience so I wasn't sure, the Al seems really hefty. If I'm over the weight limit first step will be to follow Glen's suggestion and drill some holes in the bottom of the steel angle where it meets the aluminium.

With off centre wheel alignment... it just intuitively seems like it would mess with steering a ton, I just can't make it make sense in my head. Certainly the 400*250mm shape is pretty wide, next version of my bot I'll definitely try to bring the width down, as it would have great weight returns due to the shortening of the drum. I've been looking at right angle drives for this purpose as well.

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:27 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yep Pickasso and Warning are both champions and they are off centre drive. The side by side is great for spinning on the spot…..but for straight driving you cant beat off centre of 4wd. Cool thats how me and jules do al our bots now….but maybe for a drum it doesn't matter…just go side by side.

Also invertible is important are you going to cut wheel slots in the ali so it can drive updated down?

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:33 pm 
Thomas AIC

And the wheel holes are cut thanks to my Aldi Jigsaw.

And the drum hubs fit perfectly for welding:

Annoyingly, the hub was meant to take a 1/2" axle, yet my special high tensile 1/2" axle has a fair bit of wiggle room... Going to have to order 13mm or something.

Next workshop day I'll definitely be able to test drive!

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:25 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Do you know what sort of bearings the wheels have? They look like they are formed into the wheel hub, so they are likely to be low tolerance & sloppy. They could also be imperial 1/2" or 12.7mm.

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:56 am 
Thomas AIC

They are ball bearings that have been pressed into the hub. The packaging said they fit a 1/2" (12.7mm) axle so that's what I purchased, but it's too loose for the bearings to function properly.

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 am