www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Nar karts!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

i wish i could skydive??. that would rule.

That sled looks pretty intense. really nice looking.

WIth these electric vehicles i had an idea and i need to ask (yet another) favour from Jeff Johnson. I noticed last event a small bike frame in the tip pile around the side of your house that if u do not need could i have.

May modify it straight off for a small electric bike which in theory could do about 25 km/h or use the steering mech for a electric trike or maybe a Kart although making the steering bits arent favourable. I hope all my oatley gear gets here soon as i would like to mock some stuff up and look at things.

thanks if u can, thanks still if u want it.

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:35 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

DavidM: wanna take the rocket sled project to another stage?

I've done a fair bit of playing around with jet engine designs Smile

There are a couple of videos and some pics here: http://gallery.zgeek.com/album14

I never got round to building a vehicle for testing purposes, but it wouldn't be too hard to make up a small sub frame to bolt up to the back of your sled Smile

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

now that is impressive i gotta build me one them Very Happy

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:30 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

hella yeah

Post Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:36 pm 
andrew

Well so far i have 2 designs that i wish to build as ride on vehicles of some sort. will try and make both into the nar kart size limit if not then no biggie.

The first is a simple electric bike (american chopper, nah). I dumped this idea because i could not find a wheel large enough an cheap enough but then at bunnings parramatta i looked in mower section and theres 40cm ish diamater wheel barrow wheels for 20 bucks (rear wheel) and tehres 25 dollar trolleys ( powdercoated red frame, thick steel shaft and 2 25 cm ish diamter wheels 1 used for front wheel). This is to be used for public transport up to local shop or mates place as it will have speed controll and be pretty controllable i believe and should do around 30km/h top speed i hope.

ALso second project will be to use that golf buggy motor i bought of Tim at last event (wish i had 4 of those beauties). This will be a micro kart using 3 wheels at rear (1for drive and 2 for support/safety) and i may try to make a go kart like ackerman steerring for front using whatever i can find at bunnings and bike parts (its council cleanup time, woo). This wont have speed control and thus wont take it round busy area's or near busy streets and should do i hope about 40km/h top speed or if its too fast and dangerous i drop it back to 12 volt and get round 20km/h.

Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:14 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

andrew dont forget that 30 or 40 km aint that fast i can over take cars doing 30-35 km when im going down hill on my pushbike... then again i can usually rocket through certain areas around blacktown and i havent stacked it in blacktown yet lol just every where else Laughing

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:47 am 
andrew

Yeah well its fast enough for me. Any faster and it could get dangerousd, especially with the kart idea as i wont have speed controll. if i find the speed controlled electic bike a bit too sow then ill just add a larger wheel to increase speed but it should be alright.

Safety is important and i dont feel like getting killed yet thanks.

Only other issue is building the thing and/or if the larger wheel may heat up the motor or cause problems.

Will find out when i build the thing.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:16 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm thinking about using a winch motor and two 15amp SLA's for electric vehicle when time and funds are available, but I'm really considering on putting in the Chainsaw motor instead. Cool

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:44 pm 
andrew

Hello all, I have just hauled into my garage a small childs bike that was being thrown out in council cleanup. It is quite nice and quite a few parts can be scabbed from it. After sitting on it and imagining at 20-30 km.h i have decided for this machine as well as the other idea to have the 1 large wheel being driven via motor/chains etc and having 2 smaller wheels beside it. Basically imagine a trike but with 3 wheels at the back. middle wheel larger and 2 smaller wheels on each side.

Anyway's i now have a steering assembly to start off with, seats and other cool stuff. Although the bells broken Sad.

May try the go kart steering idea with this one also as i truly like it and it isnt that difficult to do with the right thinking. WIll look round and stuff at bunnings next time i get the go kart stuff there and see if they have what i need.

Anywho. a good scab today and the parts r rolling in. when the oatley stuff gets here i can lay it all out and see how it goes.

Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:46 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Well I've started making up a design for my Narkart. Will probably be this weekends project since I have a bit of spare time. Looking at a little mini motobike made from box section, using a winch motor for the drive running of two 12v 7amp DOSS batteries in parallel. Will make a custom speed controller myself when I can get some fets. Wheels are TBA..

CAD renders are here....

www.abbl.org/~teamvertex/photos/1.jpg
www.abbl.org/~teamvertex/photos/2.jpg
www.abbl.org/~teamvertex/photos/3.jpg

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I wasn't much interested in Nar Karts until I saw this: http://origin.www.segway.com/centaur/ while I don't think we will ever see Seqways down under, let alone this concept 4 wheeler, the chassis really got me thinking! Drop the fancy electronics, dumb-down the steering and you have a very stylish, strong and light Nar kart.

My big problem with Nar karts in the past was with sitting on something much smaller than my office chair and this might just be the answer...

Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:53 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I like the look of the Centaur concept/prototypes. Just don't think one would survive my "testing" standards. Evil or Very Mad

Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:56 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

lol i love that concept lol

Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:05 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Any info I can get on that jet engine, been looking into makeing a mini one though prob not for a little while yet

Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:51 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yep, PM me an email address and I'll tell you how my one's built Smile

Post Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number