www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Other Radio Control Toys

Reversing ESCs

Author    Thread
tetraPark

Reversing ESCs

Hi folks,
I'm still continually confused by ESC 'programmable settings' advertised in the HK descriptions.

What I'm trying to establish is reversibility (like with the botbitz tz85 ideally)... Good, reliable, intuitive ability to go forwards and reverse. I take it for granted (perhaps I shouldn't even do that) that all the car ESCs have this function as programmable. However, I'm looking at some of the boat ESCs for their higher voltage. I take it when it says "reverse" or "Motor reversing from ESC (no need to change ESC/motor wires)" or "Motor rotation (clockwise\counterclockwise)"... this only means that it can be PROGRAMED in the other direction. Not what I want Evil or Very Mad

So as far as I can tell, what I'm looking for is "forward/brake/reverse" or "forward / reverse". This is the ESC I'm looking at at the moment; basically the highest watt ESC I can find on HK that has this reverse capability:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39032__Turnigy_Aquastar_200A_Watercooled_Sensorless_ESC.html
Now, questions:
This ESC seems to fit the bill, however it has "Reverse Amount: 25%, 50%, *75%, 100%". I interpret this be a limiter (ie. up to 25%, etc), but still giving linear incremental control up to that amount?
Secondly, this particular ESC is "forward/reverse". Am I to understand then that the motors will reverse immediately on command?
(as opposed to F/B/R which interprets a reverse command as a braking command until it reaches idle, then requiring another reverse command to start reversing)?

Sorry if I confuse, I only really clapped eyes on my first speed controller a few months ago, I'm still pretty noobish about it all.
I really appreciate the help. Smile

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

This is the biggest reversible one you can get.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24754__Turnigy_Trackstar_1_5th_Scale_Sensorless_200amp_8s_Opto_Car_ESC.html

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:06 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

The one you have linked may or may not have reverse as you expect. The boat ones are iffy. I don't think many people have tried them. RC car will have lockout in between forward and reverse and I don't think many of them don't have that.

quote:

This ESC seems to fit the bill, however it has "Reverse Amount: 25%, 50%, *75%, 100%". I interpret this be a limiter (ie. up to 25%, etc), but still giving linear incremental control up to that amount?

This is the amount of throttle which it will apply in reverse. 100% will be the same as when its going forwards. 25% will mean its slower in reverse.

All sensorless ESCs will have a delay between switching direction as you need to slow down, stop then realign and spin the opposite way. Depending on how well the software works this may be imperceivable but I cant really say.

Unfortunately with HK the only real thing you can do is buy, try and go from there.

Steve

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 pm 
tetraPark

Thanks for reply Steve,
thats a bit of a bugger, but seems par for course. Hardly any brushed Escs, relatively few good reversing Escs and haphazard documentation to boot...Sad Anyway, would the Trackstar will be able to run this with good efficiency?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17987__Turnigy_RotoMax_50cc_Size_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

ESC max 8s (30v), motor 10s (37v)
...I'm not really familiar with brushless efficiency curves and I don't know if it will cause any other problems than simply running slower.
Cheers

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

What are you building?

I used the Trackstar 80A Car speedo ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25649__Turnigy_TrackStar_80A_1_8th_Scale_Brushless_Car_ESC.html ) in my robot. I reprogrammed them to forward/reverse and the time gap between switching isn't noticable. I also had to up the reverse to 100%.
But you're looking at a heavyweight size motor. 7hp. Is this for a robot or something that doesn't need slamming forward/reverse constantly?

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 pm 
tetraPark

Cheers for feedback!
yep, its for something quite large (not robot related unfortunately). Not crashing into things, but ability to put motors into forwards and reverse quickly would be very valuable.

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:13 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Tim, did you try this motor and ESC combination?

Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:54 pm 
kato

Philip, have you tried here - http://www.electricscooterparts.com ?

They've got some good stuff, some of which is hard to get, e.g foot throttles.

Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for the link. Have you used them yourself?

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 am 
kato

Yeah - I got a foot throttle and a reversing controller for a billy cart. Good times!

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Do you have any pictures? How fast can it go from forwards to reverse?

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Any ideas on a decently reliable controller that reverses? I've been using the generic HK 150 for my flipper on a big outrunner and its been going okay, but tonight i forgot to plug the reciever in and powered it up, Got a huge fireball out of it haha. Seems like its a common thing with em'

Their claims that it's a 4 cell controller thats okay with 6s seems dubious..

Current use is surprisingly low and the reverse delay isnt an issue so might give the trackstar 80 a try unless anyones been using something else for a while Smile

Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kato

Philip

Don't have any pictures. The billy cart went OK, it was running shopping buggy motors. I'd deliberately wired it up so the kids couldn't slam it forwards to reverse, because I couldn't get more of the motors. It was only jogging pace and in the end we sold it to a friend with littler kids than ours because mine had outgrown it.

Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:27 pm