www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robowars 2014 - October 4-5th 2014 - IAG QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

Keen to get things in order again, still unsure how bfd didnt fall in the pit against bam bam, haha, dumb luck

Warning will go as is with new lid basically and maybe some lipo packs as the a123 packs are getting on in years and fair old now

Wanna start a new bot badly just gotta wait until reliable work occurs which should be within 2-3 weeks.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Glad you liked the vid guys…. Andrew just make sure your next bot isn't as reliable as warning….. and we will all be happy he he. Very Happy

Tim yep the gallery organised the newspaper ads…they said they are doing that again to…i will tell them it worked cause i think you and scott found out about it that way. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:32 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Two things:

After looking at photos of the arena from last year, would the gallery be happy if the door was moved to the other end of the wall so it was in the corner and away from the spectators? Its probably safer to have a door that opens outwards as it can't be blocked by a dead bot on the inside.

If I was able to get my hands on a couple of robotic lights like the ones used at the UK Nats event, would you want to include them at our Nats? They can be driven from a PC with pre-set scenes, so its minimal work to run them.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 11:48 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Nick
Yep those light sound good to me. We just have to make sure they don't chew to much power …but doubt they would anyway. Think we were limited to 2x 500watts in 2012 so we didn't trip the ancient gallery power supply….and last year we only used the gallery overhead lights….thats why all the slow mo footage was a bit muddy.

Yes gallery is happy to keep the arena door on the side that it is on and just move it up the other end…but that seemed like a lot more work rather than just reversing it. What do other people think?

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:11 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Most smaller stage lights are now LED - so probably 50 to 75 watts. I will see how many favours I need to swap for a set.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Does anyone know what the arena's roof height is? I need to work out how much floor area a light will cover.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:41 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Since I'm taking over the reigns from Stevo for running the two days, I suggested to M&J a few weeks back about shifting the arena door to a better position for safety. Below is the layout I had in mind, which doesn't require any arena modifications, only a change to how close the arena is positions to the main wall.

The idea is to create a 2m wide gap between the wall and the arena, this allows builders to get in and out of the arena, allows us to evacuate a lipol fire out of the building quickly (instead of trying to put it out in the arena and then waiting 15mins for the arena to clear and be cleaned) and it gives the builders a small space to watch during matches. There is also a designated driver and judges area as I would like to see both drivers and judges standing side by side during all matches to ensure solid communications on tapouts/sticks etc etc. No more arguments about "I tapped out" or "I was stuck" or "I didn't know that robot couldn't move".

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:44 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Aaron….yep discussed that with the gallery…. unfortunately the arena can't be 2m away from the wall….cause of room in the gallery for the audience…We suggested that after talking with you and they said there is not enough room to have the door open outwards.

here is the layout.

[URL=http://s1091.photobucket.com/user/milesandjules/media/Scan2.jpeg.html] [/URL]

Nick yeah they sound fine...i will mention them at next meeting to see what the gallery think about the robot lights.

Last edited by miles&Jules on Wed May 28, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:48 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Solution for tap out disputes are tap out buttons. Just a big switch attached to a super bright led and loudish buzzer would do.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:51 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
Solution for tap out disputes are tap out buttons. Just a big switch attached to a super bright led and loudish buzzer would do.

We've always had grand plans for a big timer display, tap out buttons and buzzers, but it hasn't happened in the last 5 years as no one has the time to develop a system prior to the event. It's just a lot easier to make people stand side by side Smile

If your willing to develop, build and bring such a setup to the event, I'm happy to go with it.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 1:57 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Miles: stress that the lights are low power and small (probable less than a 300mm cube) and don't get in the way as they would be on the arena roof. I was thinking about a match intro scene with a red and blue corner, then something high energy during the match. Finally an optional chill-out scene between rounds that might work projected onto the gallery ceiling if the lights are bright enough. Simple enough for anyone to operate but still add some energy to the production.

I agree with Aaron; simple verbal communication is best if the drivers and judges are close together.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:06 pm 
tetraPark

@Nick: I can measure arena roof height this weekend unless someone can remember

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:16 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Stupid me: I realised it must be 8' as the wall use 4' x 8' sheets of polycarb.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by miles&Jules:
Aaron….yep discussed that with the gallery…. unfortunately the arena can't be 2m away from the wall….cause of room in the gallery for the audience…We suggested that after talking with you and they said there is not enough room to have the door open outwards.

How about if we rotated the arena around a bit further and put the door closer to the exit. Means builds have to carry robots through the small gap between the wall and the arena, but it allows a very short, direct path to getting a robot out of the arena and outside the building if needed.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Aaron yep good idea.... we tried that but gallery wants the door in a place that wont disrupt audience viewing as they are on crowd capacity numbers. So we either make it open inwards or move the door up the other end of the same side it was on last year. Making go inwards seemed easiest.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:54 pm