www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Unique wieght class to Austrailia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Windhammer

Unique wieght class to Austrailia

hello everyone Wink

i was wondering if Austrailia could have a unique wieght class. because the americans made up (soz bots) 454gcorrect me if im wrong, so mabey we could have one like 2kg (bullant). im not saying "GO OUT TO YOUR SHEDS AND MAKE BULLANT BOTS" but the arena would be simple and thet might cost a bit less or mabye even more.

i want feedback everyone.

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:23 pm 
colin

...your saying to make a unique weight class because someone else has....i'm not even going there

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:28 pm 
Windhammer

usually colin the first post after the topic starter helps get a thread of posts going, you have just kick sand in this topics eyes then kicked it down and beat it to a pulp. Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

its been done, it sucked.

for one nobody wanted to spend money on one, after all as im sure the keros have found out the cost pretty well as much as a cheap featherweight,

and as ive found out with aurora you still need a pretty thick arena to hold a 2kg bot. mine was still pretty gay but then again it was only 150g of bar but rest assured it would probably take off your fingers if you got them in the way.

added to that i dont think they are any easier to build. components are hard to get for 2kg bots, the only drives are really cordless screwdrivers which are pretty big for a 2kg bot and cybot drives which are rare (lest you collected real robots).

just stick to the well known classes. its just damn easier Wink

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Windhammer

now thats a real post

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:18 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm i am not convinced they are too hard to build, just right now i spend my time on the 12kg bots, as there are more robots to fight in this class, but once i have a bit more time i will definately build some.

The way i tend to build robots is to find stuff lying aroud or in council cleanups and see what i can build with it and try and avoid spending money, I also find this gives me some interesting ideas.

When i get round to building a 1, 2 or 3kg robot (depending on who else there is to battle) i will most likely get one of the numerous radio control cars i collected as a kid and modify them into fighting robots.

I have two of those cybot drive systems (thanks to the council cleanup Smile and i think they are way to small for a 2 or 3kg robot, you can buy a similar gearbox and motor from Jaycar for under $10. In fact there are two, both run 3v motors, one is a smaller one that i have used a few years ago for drive in an electronics project, bit small for a 2kg bot, even with some overvolting.

There is another gearbox and motor that is a bit more powerful, and can be set up for different gear ratios giving output rpm from 3000 to 2.9, so fairly verstatile looking and only $9.95. There is also two 12v motors with intergrated gearboxes on the end for $12 and $20 but at 70 rpm and 30 rpm they are a bit slow for robot use, unless you had some very large wheels, though that could be an interesting design!

From Dicksmith atm you can buy a 3.6v electric screwdriver for $10, i ahve one and pulled it apart (i will write up a better review soon) and it would be pretty good for robot use.

I think for a 1, 2 or 3 kg robot it has to be fast and powerful, the cybot drives or small jaycar gearboxes do not cut it for this, but the screwdrivers hold promise.

I also remember coles sells a full function 9.6v (with battery and charger) radio control car. This would have various useful bits for a light robot, or you could strap a weapon to it! The only drawback to this is controls as they do not have swapable crystals and only two channel.

Anyway these are a few ideas or thoughts of mine, there is plenty of other options, you just have to look around and think creatively about what you could use everyday available things for.

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:40 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Also here are some pics of the little cheap Jaycar gearboxes i mentioned

Gearbox 1, cheap, small and low power

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=218

Gearbox 2, cheap small and low power but different gear ratios available.
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=219

hmmm tried to make the pics appear as images in the message but the image thingy does not seem to do what i would expect it to? as in nothing? i am most likley doing something wrong, so if i am someone let me know!

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:07 am 
3Faze

Probably because the image tag expects an image, rather than a page. Either way, not important.

I'd say a 2kg robot is pretty feasible with r/c car/plane components (jet powered spinner anyone?). I'm not sure if you'd get any real advantage over a SOZbot though, other than it'd be easier to make, but then sozbots aren't exactly hard.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:53 am 
Windhammer

prong: do you know what this radio control car is called? there are somr in red dot but i dont think they are fully functional.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ouch, those little fa-130s are consumables in any robot over 1kg.

i had them in the first version of aurora in those tamiya twin gearboxes. i burnt out 12v versions at 12v and 3v versions at 6v, and stripped the hell out of the gearboxes as well.

those other ones with the multi stages look cool though.

when i get time (huh, time, whats that Confused ) ill strap another 4 cybot drives into aurora and run it off 6v and have a little wrath knockoff.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eyce

Funnily enough, I named the bullant weight class in a convo with Andrew W. and Glen Cool ...

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:49 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Why not just build to the american beetle-weight class of 1.5kg.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

its an idea but a bit too small for my liking. I would rather 3 or 6 kg class

i reckon we should stick with sozbots 6kg hobbyweights and featherweights

i will try and build a 1.5 kg robot though if anybody is interested say i.

im easy.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:21 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

AS far as under 12kg id only go the sozbots "for the challange"

Theres no point in 6kgs i think.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:13 pm 
Windhammer

in some $2 shops there are electric toothbrushs we could use couple of them for drive motors

Last edited by Windhammer on Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:21 pm