www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Finding a job.

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Finding a job.

Some of you guys probably know I lost my job back in July as part of the world wide mining downturn. For those that don't know, Xstrata Technology had 30 draftsman in January and now have 5. I've been trying to apply for 1 job a day since then and have so far have only had one interview (for air traffic controller Rolling Eyes ) and I have also been rejected from Hungry Jacks, Sizzler, Coles group, Woolworths, BP, ect... I haven't seen a mechanical drafting job advertised in Brisbane/Toowoomba for the last 2 months.
This week I read in the paper about a mining equipment company here in Toowoomba that will sack 100 employees at the end of the year, so my confidence dropped a bit and I expanded my search and applied for a job in Sydney which sounded exactly the same as the position I had at Xstrata. I woke up this morning found a reply in my email asking for more detail into my drafting history and if I was really willing to move to Sydney. So I need to ask my Sydney friends for information.
Connie just got an 18 month contract as a nursing graduate and is stuck in Toowoomba. I calculated how much I would need to earn to make comuting/living in Brisbane worthwhile, but I don't know how much I would need to ask for to make moving to Sydney, away from my wife, to be worthwhile.
- How much do drafters earn in Sydney?
- The company is based in Warriewood, is that a good or cheap area?
- Is public transport good, or do I need a car?
- How much do you pay for electricty and other bills?
- How long does it take you guys to drive from Sydney to here?

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:16 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Can't answer too many q's there but warriewood is on the northern beaches, It looks really lovely from the times ive ridden past. Nice calm beach too Smile

My morning commute is ~50km and it takes between 50 minutes and an hour 10 depending on traffic. warriewoods about 30k i think, so probably an hour give or take.

I wouldn't get a place anywhere near Sydney. A one room apartment in Marrickville (inner city) is roughly $600 per fortnight and the traffic will drive you to madness, compared to Brisbane our roads are complete insanity lol. Hornsby or Bewrora might be a good place to look. Ask Andrew (dumhed) he lives around there iirc.

If you live any further north you'll have to brave the F3 which i'm lead to believe is the worst of all in peak hour. Jaemus can probably fill you in on that one Razz

Western suburbs are the cheapest and many of us live out that way, Penrith/mt druitt area. Ipswich is pretty similar really.

Public transport is good imho despite the bitching. Our trains used to be dirty and smelt like wee, but they're being replaced with newer ones. The network is rather expansive and trains/buses come regularly. I know many friends that dont have a car. I didn't have a mode of transport till 22 so can't be too bad. Angus still doesn't and he manages Razz

Use this site to get an idea however.

http://www.131500.com.au/

Good luck man Smile

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks. A quick check on the internets and it seems a one bedroom apartment around that suburb is about $400 - $500p/w Shocked
And would it be cheaper to own a car and drive back to see the misses once a month or to fly to Brisbane and hire a car to get to Toowoomba (Connie is too afraid to drive that far).
And after that would we actually be better off or should I just keep sitting on my bum playing computer games and wait for something closer?

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:31 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It took about 12 hours to drive from Sydney to Ipswitch for the Nats using the New England H'way. That would be 50% of your weekend used up in driving and its not a trip you would want to start on a Friday evening after working all day.

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:07 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Warriewood is indeed a nice part of Sydney, but yeah nice = expensive.

Our electricity bills are roughly $120 month for our 3 bedroom house with electric hot water and computers running 24/7 and no clothesline (use the dryer for everything). So extreme usage for 2 people.

I live in Gosford, which is basically the 'capital' of the Central Coast. As far as the F3 (now actually called M1), it's not actually that bad, the traffic always flows UNLESS there is an accident in which case it goes straight to hell, but that is actually quite rare (I've been held up badly only twice in 5 years). It takes, in the morning, 40-45 min to drive down to Sydney from the start of the F3 at the Gosford onramp to the end at Wahroonga. A little longer in the evenings, but I avoid the peak times in the PM, going back up before 4pm or well after 6pm, so I never really deal with the worst part of the peak, but figure 1hr on the freeway itself max in the peakiest part (both AM and PM). Friday PM is the worst due to holiday/weekender traffic and Sunday going south can be crazy shizzle as well.

Getting to and from the F3, however, is generally the more time consuming part, and I can't comment on Warriewood specifically, but if I was to leave Gosford to get there by 9am I would leave Gosford at around 6:45 to be certain of not being late.

Gosford itself is kindof a shithole but there are other much nicer spots on the coast for reasonable prices - however they may involve a bit of driving from the F3 which will all add up. Apart from Kariong you can't get much closer to the F3 than Gosford. The coast is a huge area with a reasonably large population so there's plenty to do and facilities etc

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Discuss with them to see if you are able to work remotely (ie: from home).
I'm not clued in on exact work process of a draftsmen, but I assume a lot of it can be done via email and phone conversations along side your cad work.

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:06 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

or even peak shaving.
work from 10-6 or 8-4 or from home for an hour at either end.
if you can dodge peak hour you can often halve the trip times.

I'd say in sydney unless you are in areas well served by rail you need a car, even if well served you will probably still *want* a a car.
My missus trains from penrith (west west sydney) to parramatta most days. Sometimes she rides the motorbike and hardly ever drives.

I don't know much about yuppyville where you are talking about though, I've always lived in the underserved western areas.

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I lived around Dee Why for several years; the bus service along Pittwater road is fantastic, no so much the further you get off the main roads. That's why flats in the area are so expensive, everyone want the beach lifestyle and an easy commute to the city. I'd be buying a cheap car and peak shaving like Jake suggested.

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:10 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Well I've done all the sums to figure out what he'll need to pay me to get me to move and it is a rather high amount, but I do know draftsman who get paid that much. Now to see if he thinks I'm worth it.
If not it's back to the Xbox and drawing robots I can't afford to build.

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 pm