www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team M3N7@L B0T - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

looking nice Tim…..Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy…...so how long did it take to arrive? So is that everything…got both tz85?

Now just need the metal skin Very Happy Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:55 pm 
Tim

Hey Miles, Thanks man Very Happy ordered it on the 21/11/2013 but the TX and case was a JIT stock item from back warehouse ( hence the extra time ) but sent on the 2/12/2013.

Got two Tz85a's only one hooked up at the moment as per angus's breadboard setup tutorial, yet to get the tx to communicate with the rx as I'm not sure which pins to use ie. Thro , Aile, Elev, Rudd, Gear, Auxi - voltages are good everywhere as they should be

Any help with setting up the tx would be much appreciated Thanks in advance

Otherwise all good so far looking forward to the metal skin in the mean time will learn to drive breadboard Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

One of the sticks will have springs on it. This is the stick you want to use for driving. This is usually rudder and elevator IIRC but basically try the plugs on the RX until this stick operates each of the channels independently.

You then need to mix in the two channels together CH1 should mix 100% into CH2 and CH2 100% into CH1. Well that is my basic memory of mixing.

Aaron is rather busy atm but swears by the Orange so should be able to help you sometime. If you can't get the mixing going for now can always drive diagonal. Like I did back in the day when I couldn't afford a mixer.

Steve

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:45 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Quick post while I have 2 mins.

Elevator is the up/down channel on the right stick
Aileron is the left/right channel on the right stick
Throttle (weapon for most builders) is the up/down non spring loaded stick on the left.

My Orange TX is currently packed in boxes still since moving house, but I'll try to dig it out this evening and do a quick video on how the mixing works. Once your under stand how it works, it's a breeze Smile

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:22 am 
Tim

Excellent that's more than I knew a bit over 12 hours ago it seems that every time I turn the tx on "thro cut" is on screen, the tx is beeping and going mental! and sometimes getting the rx & tx to "bind" can take a while ( up to a minute or more ) It was like that out of the box...?

A couple of times have slightly spun the wheel with power ( tz85a connected ) however it was brief and for some reason would not keep spinning....

......doing everything incrementally.

Will get back on it and see how I go first things first, will more than likely reset the tx as it ( rx or tx not sure ) now has a "name" Voltage is set to 7.4 for tx battery and a heap of other manual related stuff that got me nowhere

Thanks guys, Knightrous looking forward to that video Very Happy if you get the time....that would be very cool cheers man

Colsons just arrived Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy they are the 4" x 2" http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/BPDWC11.html
[URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/eclipse150/media/2013-12-14123614_zps9a0598b3.jpg.html] [/URL]

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:49 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Awesomness…do an 8 wheel drive and just use the wheels as armour …sewer snake style Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy …(transmitter is the tx and receiver is the rx)

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 pm 
Tim

hahahah Very Happy Hey guys ...what i meant was I'm not sure if I via the tx settings named the rx "robot" for future reference ie. a settings "table" for the "robot"....if that makes sense..... Very Happy or the tx is now named "robot" I think it's the rx side of things named "robot".

I choose to lay blame at the feet of a friend Smile who I let "have a go at it" - in his defense He does work in a industry that sell similar equipment. Very Happy

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:09 pm 
Tim

Big thanks to Miles and Jules for their help we were able to get my little piece of bread board moving this arvo!!! 3kg + 30nm Torque = MENTAL BOT which is what I think I'll call it haha Very Happy

Just stoked to be able to drive / see what I have envisaged building since the Nationals ( for 14 years really since I first saw a robot "fight" ) moving Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Yeeebaaaahhh!!!!!

......now I have to hack up a PSU so I can recharge the Batteries lol the fun only lasts so long Crying or Very sad so still busy!!!

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Good work Tim Very Happy… we need to see photos?

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:22 pm 
Tim

will do! just hacking up a PSU it works mate too easy! no wonder so many people do it Very Happy for those who have not done it or can't find the wiki page this worked for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2RizQ8U2k although I used wire and header pins & a bit of heat shrink will post a photo....

....have to learn to use that charger balancer a 14.8 volt 2.65 ah battery goes flat really quick all of a sudden Sad such is the nature of the beast.

Here is the finished Beast

goes without saying that wiring will be tidied up this is simply proof of concept Very Happy

....drives absolutely mental! drifts all over the lino or hardwood on red wheels I love it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy can't wait to refine my metal design and get it built before the next comp.

Last edited by Tim on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm 
Tim

Ok powered up the Turnigy Accucell 6 charger with the psu ( supply = 12volt @ 13 amp from the psu ) PSU is putting out 11.57 volts

Attempting to charge a nano-tech 2.65 ah battery

Went to Lipo charge screen 3.7a & 3.7v (1s) hit the start button and got the "short err" message and a lot of beeping ( according to many forums this is a common problem. However after attempting the same charge as above the charger does the following.

Battery check wait... --> then returns the error message --> Battery check voltage high ( and lots of beeping )

I have checked the battery as it did begin to charge prior to the problem and is holding 11.48 volts, when I check the balance pins with a multi-meter I get the following.
Red & Grd = 11.48v
Blue & Grd = 8.62v
White & Grd = 5.74v
Yellow & Grd = 2.90v

Has anyone else had issues with a Turnigy Accucell 6 charger & do those Multi-meter readings look right ??? when I received the battery it being a 14.8v it was holding 15.3v so there is obviously an issue.

.......it is now doing the short err message again? ( just checked as I write )

any one with any ideas throw them my way there is a bit of one step forward one step back going on at the moment...

I would like to isolate if this is an operater induced error or simply a faulty product my thoughts are the latter.

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:38 am 
maddox

Sounds a cell miscount.
You have to set the charger in the richt chemistry and cell count.

Also, with the data you provide, all cells are on the low end of their range.

3.7V is "nominal" for a LiPo cell, full is 4.2V.
3.3V is a reasonable cutt off
3V is way down below.
2.9V is almost dead cell beyond any CPR tricks.

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ellis

From your description, it sounds like you're trying to charge it as if it were a 1s battery? You need to specify cell count. It'll only charge if it is "comfortable" with the situation it's in, as it's a smart charger, so if you're telling it it's a 1s battery when it's actually a 4s, it won't charge and it'll tell you there's an error. I'd suggest always balance charging when possible, for the record.

Also, the voltage it came in is correct. LiPos have a storage voltage, a most-stable voltage, of around 3.8v per cell. So it adding up to 15.3v when you unpackaged it is perfectly fine, and it would be much more worrying if it read its nominal 14.8v. When you leave a LiPo for long periods (I try to avoid going more than a few days), you must put it into storage (there's a setting for this on the charger). This is explained in the charger's manual, and if I remember right the basics of charging LiPos is covered in there too. Bit of a funky Chinese-English combination, but it generally makes sense!

Bit of reading up online about the ins and outs of LiPos and a read through the Accucel's manual should clear things up some.

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:18 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

hope this helps Very Happy

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:20 am 
Tim

Hey guys! last night I followed this tutorial ( if you'd call it that ) by tacx at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780773 and followed miles video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCET-WJDWSY to the letter / obviously to suit my battery though.

Still getting the Short ERR message tested with two different batteries both Turnigy 2.65ah 4S ( 14.8v ) just now.

I would like to think I have eliminated user error...

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:32 pm