www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Robowars Nationals 2013 Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

lol, maybe shouldn't post right before going to work that did sound well bitchy.. Laughing Guess my concern wasn't so much the helping it was more the worry someone was going to be killed moving a massive carpet down a flight of fire stairs, going around the building for sure next time. Shocked

But yeah, to reiterate everyone else the rounds were run so smooth. Cool

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Carpet shit got a little hairy.

Not trying to be too defensive here just mostly trying to say why things were done the way they were. Lots of other factors have to be considered which aren't always apparent to others.

Also its good to explain these decisions in case anyone else has to make them in the future.

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:08 pm 
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by marto:

As for the draw it was seeded state and done randomly with drawn out of two buckets I watched him. For ants it was just done in order they were registered, but we then swapped Fire Ant/Cat as they were same drivers fighting each other early on. .

Wasn't trying and I don't think anyone was implying the draw was rigged. Just that most people (or at least a few) did not quite know how it was drawn and what happened. I think state split QLD and NSW with the leftover states in with the smaller of the two would work well and with computer draws beyond the first. Any reason it could not be done post weighings pre fights? No one has currently has a moduler robot although I know Daniel is talking of one.

Re timetable on day two. We were darn close to 5 minutes basically all day. By far the best I have seen.
IMHO, if after 90 minutes you can not get a bot to its next fight you should forefit. That is a long time.

Re carpet and box. They helped us set up day 1, only fair we help them remove what was used solely for us if we can. Even with the helping was a quick pack up. I did not have the fun of carrying the big carpet this year so maybe the logistics would need to be fixed regarding that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

With sinage & logos, I liked the RoboGames arena, where they stencilled their logo on the floor at the start of each event. How about we add the web address to the event shirts? I think the gallery would be against advertising or company sponsoring sings but just having the event name is harmless - What's the harm in adding ".org" to the end of the name?

The timing was amazingly well organised; the only thing that might be improved would be a dedicated screen somewhere in the build area. I had to track down Steve and bother him for info a few times.

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:10 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

I guess that's the fun of hosting the event in a classy venue like an art gallery. They actually care about how it looks.

To that end, I'm suggesting the music mixes be Classical, and that we serve champagne and canapes to all guests, and the competitors wear tuxedos Laughing

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

With regards to the draws I actually set them up so that all the robots should have roughly the same length of time between rounds. I used the patterns from this website http://www.devenezia.com/downloads/round-robin/rounds.php and used the "First Fit" tab. That way everyone had the same time for charging and no one had to worry about being in the last fight in one round and then first fight in the next.

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:08 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

While I didn't get to the grand finals, I thought the timing between matches was as good as it could possibly be; With Jake's help, I pretty much gutted and rebuilt Scissorhands with a new gearbox and Mag motor in one break, with time to spare Smile

@ Jaemus: Robots should wear tuxedos as well - You just need to paint some stylish lapels on Catastropy Laughing The disk would look smart in carnation red.

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:27 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Haha, that's not a bad idea actually Nick

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:32 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thought that idea might appeal. I like the idea of printing out a theme onto plastic film and sticking it on to the bot - those stickers I had on the sides of Scissorhands were dead easy to make.

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:52 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Can i vote against music?

You can have it between matches and such, but I hate watching videos with music in them. Save it for a compilation video or something like that.

Can we get a little more spacing on the ant time table next time? I seem to recall there being 2 rounds back to back and cassie nearly had to forfeit one match because she needed to do repairs, then there was ages with nothing.

I don't know how to satisfy both running the feathers as a primary and having the ants as a filler, with running the ants as a fully fledged comp but still, somebody out there may have an idea.

Regarding timed matches, great idea, worked well.
Perhaps printing the draw out on some large paper and posting it would be an idea? Finding out what the draw was was a little confusing sometimes, it was probably mentioned somewhere how to do so but i missed it ;->

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

The music is for the crowd, not the videos. The MC was barely audible from the GoPros inside the arena anyway so music that isnt overly loud would be barely audible

Post Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:59 pm