www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

RC Gyro's in Bots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

There are Gyro's that detect if the unit is upside down or not.
But not cheap, around $500 - $800

They are used for the Aerobatic Planes / Heli's.

I think they say they are a 3 axis Gyro. (not sertain about that)

Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:23 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Brett, I put one of those Hobyco gyros in Basilisk and the steering actually got worse. Obviously, I am doing something stupid - with the gyro out, the bot steers reasonably straight, apart from when the wheels slip on my smooth floor.

With the Gyro in and trimmed, the bot drives in wide arcs rather than a straight line. Its always clockwise and often the bot 'runs on' for a second after the controls are centered. I would suspect the trim control, but I centered that as per the instructions and there wasn't much adjustment around the deadband in any case.

Has anyone else been thru this? I only had 10 minutes experimenting before the battery pack died, so I want toget it right next time.

Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:40 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hmm, mine are ICG180 (google for ICG180 for more info) gyro's, not the Hobbico's so I cant say for sure what might be happening there..

All mine have is a single trim-pot on them. You set the gain and drive. More gain = more sensitive correction until you overdo it and the bot gets the twitches.. There wasnt really much else to do right or wrong that I could see..

Perhaps its something to do with the "Pilot Authority" feature that these are supposed to have.. apparently extreme stick inputs automatically reduce the gain on the gyro to stop it fighting sudden pilot-commanded turns ? Perhaps yours doesnt do that, so the gyro is opposing your turns ?

Does it have a gain ? If so, try turning that down and see if the turns you can do get tighter as you lower it..

Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

try sit the bot off its wheels with the gyro in and power on, and turn it side to side, and see if the wheels start to turn the opposite direction, i guess that will give an indication of whether its working.

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yes, the gyro definitely works, nudging the unit makes the wheels rotate in the apprortiate directions.

I havn't tried it yet but the problem might be that I have the unit mounted slightly off axis and its trying to compensate for what it sees as a sideways error. alternatively, perhaps I could rotate the gyro to compensate for some other problem Confused

It has a trim control that is VERY sensitive and pretty self-explanatory and a gain control that seems different to other gyros. The gain has a mid position where the wheels stop being twitchy. Either side of this, the wheels will go into either forward or backward motion and there isn't much adjustment range between. All this adjustment is with the wheels off the ground and no movement in the gyro.

It sounds like I might have to find an answer on an RC site...

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:51 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.robotcombat.com/images/hobbicogyro-manual.pdf

that should answer your questions,

note precaution 1, which i guess means it must be mounted flat on the base.

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:34 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Nah, That's the manual that came with the gyro and I read it many times (which isn't to say I won't be reading it yet again tonight).

On page 2, column 3, the gain control works differently than described; I set the gain to about 50% and power up. thereis a point around 50% gain where the wheels are not twitchy. Increasing OR decreasing the gain from there makes the wheels progressively twitchier until they constantly run. Its more like a trim control than gain, which should pretty mush deactivate the gyro at 0% gain.

Jake is coming over tonight and may spot what I have done wrong. If it works, I am lending the gyro so Plan B can give a better account of itself at Robowars.

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:44 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

We put our gyro into Scarifier last night and took it for a spin. I wasn't impressed. It drove straight nicely, turning while going forward had a larger turning circle then before and spinning of the spot was slower. Its when I stopped the robot I had trouble. The gyro countered the motion in one direction and turned the robot the other way, it then tried to counter that motion by turning back again, and so on. Scarifier was just sitting there bouncing from side to side with the back of the robot lighting up from the arc's in the motors. It eventually stopped when I thought a belt slipped in one side and the other side died.
I thought all the jittering snaped a belt but the left handed screw came loose in the drill and the pully was moving up and down the shaft. Easy fix. The problem was the motor was red hot and the case was discolored. With the other side completly dead I thought I had blown the IFI, but luckly a wire had come loose instead.
Basically one more second of that jittering and I would have lost the drive motor.
Obverslly I didn't calibrate the gryo correctly.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sounds like too much "gain" on the gyro.

In the instructions I have for my ICG Gyro, it talks about a helicopter "wagging" the tail if you have the gain set too high..

I didnt notice any decrease in the turning circle of scoopy doo with the gyro, but this gyro is supposed to have a "pilot authority" feature that helps that. maybe thats a worthwhile feature. have to compare it with a non-pilot-authority gyro and see

P.S. dont accidentally put them in upside down. My computer now has a nice scratch on the front from scoopys saw (not spinning), from accidental gyro-death-spin mode Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:16 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

we haven't spoken about this for a while I was just wondering if anyone has tried the GWS PG-03 gyro, I wanted to know if they stop the IBC faislafe working.

I asked the company but they did not know.

Post Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:16 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

@Brett

Werent you teling everyone not long aggo that the house is not a place for a powered up robot Laughing

Post Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:46 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Depends on whether you like the legs of your furniture "un-modified" or not..

PCM Failsafes can take up to 1 second to kick in (as opposed to the IBC's hundredths of a second), and Inspector General can cover a lot of living room floor at full speed with the saw spinning in one second Shocked

Fortunately the free-standing japanese divider wall thingies that Mel had bought just a few weeks before intercepted IG nicely, and made a pretty shower of polished black-wood fragments fly everywhere !!

Which I then spent the next hour or so carefully repairing with hot glue, a file and paint, plus a lot of sucking up to avoid getting growled at for demolishing the house..

I think I got off lightly.. If Mel hadnt sawed through the cushion on her spare office chair (while making parts for Scoopy with the Jigsaw) just a few days before, she might have been less understanding..

Robots *like* being powered up in houses.. Laughing there are lots of nice soft chewy toys around for them, which makes a change from their usual diet of hard crunchy metal. Of course the house, contents and owners thereof might have a different opinion.. Wink

As for whether the Gyro will over-ride the failsafe or not, I believe it depends on the model.. some of the cheaper/simpler ones will keep putting out their last valid signal if the input goes away, which means it will definitely over-ride the failsafe. Others detect of Loss-of-Signal (LOS) and switch off their output as well.

The ones I bought from RMP dont stop the failsafe, but I cant find one right now, so all I can tell you is they're a yellow cube about 3cm on a side, with a small hole for an adjusting screw. I'll try to find the model # for you tomorrow if you still need it.

Post Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:08 am 
tunna

Gyros

Hey Guys all you need to know about gyros and Accessories is available on Technobots.co.uk

tont (BulldogBreed)

Post Tue May 17, 2005 5:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tunna

Gyros used in the UK

Pretty well all 2 wheeled bots in the UK use Gyros, cant do with out one really,we also use Gyro bypass devices to switch out the Gyro,by Remote Bulldog uses the quite cheap GWS Gyros, everything available from
Technobots.co.uk

tony Bulldog Breed

Post Wed May 18, 2005 5:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

ahem, Tony, thats about the 4th time in 4 messages that you've put in a plug for Technobots.. are you on commission or something ?

While we appreciate the information, this isnt an advertising place, and there is very little information on how to use Gyro's or why you need a remote disable or antyhing like that on the TechnoBots site, so pointing to it as a useful informational resource is incorrect.

I dont mind the occasional plug for a business, but you're going a bit overboard here.. Confused

Post Wed May 18, 2005 10:46 am