www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Drill alternatives?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author    Thread
Mouldy

I ran banebots P60 16:1'S with RS775's and 98mm wheels this year on 5s lipo and they lasted briliantly, didnt have to touch them through the entire competition.... people had alot of problems with the gimpsons this year. however those were the GR01's not the GR02's, but again the exsternal face of the bearing on the gr02 doesnt look good to me.

Anyone over there tried the speed 700's? They give real impressive results in a relatively light package with a single stage reduction.

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:18 am 
Ellis

Started thinking about alternate methods of addressing the pin failure issue in drill gearboxes. I don't have the right tools or parts to do this quite as I'd like but the concept is there. For the pin to loosen it'd have to either strip all the threads, those in the carrier plate itself and on the nut behind, or somehow loosen despite the counter-tightening and loctite. I used regular ungraded m4 bolts for this, so on this particular prototype there's an added risk of the pins bending, but with some better materials I think this is viable. As viable as the ballpeen method mentioned earlier, anyway. And for the average Joe, probably easier, as the parts needed are less specific.

http://aug.imghost.us/Flul.jpg
http://aug.imghost.us/Flw6.jpg
http://aug.imghost.us/FlwM.jpg

edit: and yes of course, chances are those nuts will foul in a drill gearbox, but again, I was just trying to distract myself for a while!

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:15 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I believe there is more to it then just the pins. Dewalts use rather small diameter pins (<3mm), but they run 4 & 5 gears per stage.

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:56 am 
Ellis

Possibly down to a combination of better carrier plate material, so they don't tend to let the pins squidge out of place, and a better bearing setup? I think much of the reason the pins in drills fail is because the whole gearbox flexes when you hang a load on the end. Add the speed, shocks and often overvolted motors giving very high torque and the result is the pins go byebyes.

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:59 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

The thickness of the plates in the dewalt is also much greater stopping the pins from flexing.

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
tetraPark

So hearing mixed reviews about drill planetary gearboxes. Some seem to last forever, others get chewed out fast...
Most failures seem to be in the second stage carrier pins attached to the output shaft. Just wondering how catastrophic this failure is
for the gearbox? Does it ruin all the planet gears in one or more stages, carriers, ring gear, etc. What I'm getting at; is this a case of replace some parts, or replace the whole gearbox...

quote:
Originally posted by Krustalien:
I think much of the reason the pins in drills fail is because the whole gearbox flexes when you hang a load on the end. Add the speed, shocks and often overvolted motors giving very high torque and the result is the pins go byebyes.

Sounds reasonable...
So apart from not hanging load off the gearbox (say, supporting axle with other bearing on other side of wheel) are there any other precautions against this type of failure using existing parts (plastic gears notwithstanding)?

Cheers

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:34 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If a 2nd stage pin breaks, it usually messes up at least one of the planetary gears and very often the sun gear of the first stage. Its very hard to find any spares to buy and most people just replace the whole gearbox. At least you get some salvaged parts from the broken gearbox...

Post Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:45 pm