www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Drill alternatives?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

BTW: did anyone suffer from broken carrier pins in their drill motors? I can send out a detailed instruction sheet on replacing the pins with larger & better quality pins using just a drill press and some simple jigs. You can get 90% of the 'Andrew-mod' gearboxes in an afternoon Smile

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:50 am 
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:

At today's exchange rate a pair of Grimsons will cost at least $157 to import, while a pair of P60 gearboxes will be about $143. That doesn't include the crappy currency conversion from most banks or the VAT refund.

How so? Using checkout and google as a currency converter for both (so like you not including crappy currency conversions from banks or VAT) you get $131 for Grimsons. No tracking of shipment. Two P60 gear boxes, without motors cheapest ones I could see, no motors. $156 converted.
Both with delivery to Australia.
The Grimsons come with a small bearing kit useful in some situations.

Both offer spare parts for sale.
Not saying it is better but it seams to be cheaper. A lot of people have complained about Banebots in the past so despite the fact I have never used banebots, I would probably go Grimsons as a trial. Everyone has their own opinions and will make their own decision.

You do not get the ratio choice (but that puts the banebots price up somewhat as you get higher). Larger carrier pins, now this may be a problem, we will see.
More output shaft options, I was looking at more a drill replacement and the Grimsons do almost drop in, there are two output shaft options so it is still more then a drill and you can buy the mounting hub to give more options (http://www.gimsonrobotics.co.uk/12mm-GR02-shaft-mounting-hub.html)
Stronger Aluminium, may be important but, again time will tell but both will be stronger then drills and plastic mounts.

Grimsons will not be our source of cheap replacement 550's. with shipping pre vat and crap bank conversions looking at around $30/motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maddox

P&P is a bitch. But for us in the EU, a pair of GR02's is a tad more expensive than buying 2 batterydrills "el cheapo", but takes off a load of work.

Also, I bought GR02's without motors, to fit on a set of brushless 1100 Kv inrunners.
Was easy enough. Just drill 2 new holes on the right spot.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Vex ones are looking interesting.

Steve

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The Vex gearboxes are a bit bigger than the Grimsons or P60; they look about equivalent to a Dewalt gearbox to me. They might even work in a lightweight.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:49 pm 
Ellis

Hi guys, UK builder here, name's Ellis.

Long post below, sorries.

We're in the same position drive-motors wise over here. In our robot Tormenta 2, we have been plagued by drill problems. The issues have always been gearbox based. The usual second stage pins come loose, second stage gears lose alignment, they get eaten, gearbox locks up, motor stalls and burns out in a puff of death-smoke malarkey. The motors have been bulletproof from the beginning, even when running 12v models on 18-20v.

We have had at least one gearbox give up in pretty much every fight since T2s first outing. I guess you could say we've had to make them work for us.

Changing out the plastic gears is a given. They're going to fail, unless the robot they're in is driven very kindly.

Once the plastic gears are out, every single failure we've had has been because of the second stage pins coming loose. There are other little ways these gearbox/motor combos give up but the main issue is with the pins on the output shaft. You've probably all had the same headaches we've had.

We were presented a solution which few seem to have picked up, by the guys running RoboChallenge. In short(ish), hammer out the existing pins on the OP shaft - the shaft must be fresh or the holes the pins go into will be mashed. They suggested 3.2mm silver steel for the next bit (good luck with sourcing that!), but I would like to try using old dead 550 motor shafts, as they should be the perfect size. Also it feels like something useful can be made from the buckets of dead drill parts. :3

The idea is cut 3 lengths of whatever rod you use, obviously must be a hammer-fit diametre, to a mm longer than the originals. Poke the extra mm through the hole, so that the extra is on the shaft side of the dealio. Then ball peen/round off/mushroom the extra rod until it's flat as can be onto the face of the plate (shaft-side). Point being it is wedged in there, and can't come loose. I think some decent metal glue wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in before hammering.

Very simple in principle, but we tried some shafts with this done to them and we did 7 fights without a single failure. That's a record, by about 6 fights! Have yet to attempt doing it ourselves with our limited toolset, but it makes drills usable so we're definitely gonna try.

I'd also one day like to try tapping the holes to m4, then sticking a bolt/grub in, and rounding the exposed bit to 3ish mm in dia. Assuming the crappy bolt material doesn't fail, it should work too, right? Maybe...

I will be putting a video up on YouTube (TeamExpat), in which I hope to address all of the failures we've seen and how to deal with them. I don't doubt drills have dropped in quality, but for a while longer at least, I think they're salvageable, and probably still a good deal cheaper than the alternatives.

tdlr; ways to deal with drill problems exist, or so it seems, I'll try to present what we've learned in video form, if it helps anyone, wahey.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:52 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

PM me your email address and I will send you the article I had published in the US magazine 'Servo'. It shows upgrading an old style Banebots gearbox, but the same technique works on drill motors.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

To all of those who were at RoboWars Sydney 2013 and had drill failures, can you please strip down your motors and tell me what failed? Motor? Gears? Pins? All of the above?

I'd like to get some real world information instead of assumptions before I continue further work an a possible alternative.

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

When I used drill motors (or the Chinese Banebots motors) it was ALWAYS the pins, followed by the loose gears munching each other up, followed by the locked motor burning out.

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:40 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Had a magnet fall out of demons 18v motor last year, that's the only drill motor i can recall killing since at least 2006 with the andremodded drills

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

All accept one of our drills that dies at redfern event were burnt out motors-one drill s last stAge pins snapped off (all three) inside the gears so the shaft could spin freely-never seen that before Shocked

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:56 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

All of mine at Robowars Sydney were same as Nick

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

What brands of drills were people running? KMart?

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:04 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah all Kmart bar one - murdered a random one in the exact same way that was quite old, no idea what it was originally but probly XU1

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Forked off was running the older K mart drills on 4S (the ones with a grey case I did the tutorial vids with) and they were flawless... Confused Are you guys overtightening the grubscrews, maybe? Either way giving the botbitz 36 motors a go for nationals.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 am