www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QRSC - TODO 2013

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

QRSC - TODO 2013

There are a number of things which we need to do before the nationals for our arenas and just in general. I expect I will have to do most of these myself but here goes.

- Insurance certificate. - DONE - We have paid the invoice for insurance for 2013-14 but need to chase up our certificates. (Aaron if you read this can you bug colin as well)

- QRSC.org.au - DONE - See Here http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82554#82554
Wiki is a pretty dated and looks poor. I am hoping to update it with a wordpress website similar to robowars2013.com.au. Will let you know how I progress with that. I would also like to link this in with the QRSC FB group so it doesn't end up completely dead. Both of these should be updated once before and once after any event we have.

- Promotion of the 2013 Nationals. - I will see if I can get anthony to do up some flyers. I will get a 500 or so done up in colour but would consider getting considerably more done in B/W if we think we could get them out to the general public. I will also get some posters done. If anyone would like to put them up anywhere let me know.

- Featherweight arena - This year we have some cash and with a few deals I think it should be possible to do some major upgrades on the arena. I will outline these in the arena thread.

- Featherweight timer - I think as I said in arena thread it will just be a normal screen hacked to have time on it.

- Streaming capability - in the past we have streamed via Ustream. I know that we can do it with youtube as well. It would be very beneficial if we could setup something for Sydney and Nationals. I am thinking 4G with a prepaid 12Gb of data which should be sufficient to upload for the event.

- Rules and Judging Guidelines - This year at the nationals there will be others attempting to assist myself with judging. I will need to give them as much information as possible in order to be able to effectively do this. The technical rules are spelt out pretty well but I think we also need a match rules for our own events and judging guidelines. I think this would be best to be a primer for anyone who wants to run or judge a match. This should not require any background knowledge and should also cover potentially some of the difficult descisions judges have to make.

Any help with any of these would be appreciated.

Steve

Last edited by marto on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:20 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

The FRA Scoring Criteria seems straight forward. http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/documents/competition-regulations.pdf I assume we can use them if we give them credit.

Damage

It is important that where a fight is judged on damage the judges need to be aware of any existing damage to a robot at the start of a fight. Cosmetic damage will not be taken into account, such as scratches to paint or other finishes (polycarbonate, etc.) and minor dents. Serious structural or mechanical damage will count against a robot. If a robot ceases to function during a fight due to loss of the removable link or any other internal component then it should be counted as damage.

Aggression

Where a robot continually attacks their opponent, particularly where the attacker appears to be inferior technically to its opposite, for example a lightly armoured robot attacking a powerful spinning disc equipped robot.

Control

Where a driver demonstrates a good level of precision in their driving, for instance an attack is started on an opponent who tries to veer away but the attack is taken to full contact, or conversely, an attack by a robot is attempted but due to good avoidance by the opponent the attack fails.

Close Decisions

If a decision is very close the judges may require that both competitors demonstrate that their robots work correctly by performing a figure eight movement covering at least half the arena length and that their weapons, where fitted still work.

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:08 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Started website here.
QRSC.org.au - See Here http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82554#82554

Thanks for input Phil will get to that soon.

Steve

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:57 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What exactly would you like done? I am willing to have a go at anything, though I have no experience in the area. What do you mean by "match rules"?

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:55 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So here is a copy of the RFL match rules I was thinking of. When I get a proper chance I will read them and modify/rewrite them to suite our purposes, potentially with some inclusions from the FRA guys.

http://botleague.info/doc/rfl-match-rules-0-03.pdf

Steve

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:04 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

They look fine to me.

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:57 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Are we able to have music at the art gallery? Dyrodium's music at the 2011 Nationals added to the atmosphere of the event.

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:01 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

50:50. I am not really sure exactly what the arrangement is going to be this year. They are looking at "getting people in" to help me run the event at this stage. They wanted people to call the battles, do a better job of telling the public what is going on, make the battles flow better, get people in and out faster so we can run more fights and generally make the event more showy for the spectators.

Not exactly sure what this means. If we had the PA hooked up to music during the battles that would be fine I think.

But if we are trying to have it going all the time I am not sure whether that would be OK.

Regardless Angus will have to mix us 24hrs of straight tunes.

Steve

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:08 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Aaron has acquired certificate for insurance.

I have also started on a featherweight arena timer.

It will be a Raspberry Pi hooked up to a Monitor. This monitor will be mounted inside the arena. There will be a wireless or wired keyboard plugged in to control it. I intend to have this mounted on the roof and a small screen behind it to give feedback to judge/operator.

Does anyone have any sounds they would suggest for it? I intend to build a set of speakers into it. So can play sounds at start/end.

Steve

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 pm