www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robowars Sydney 2013 - 3-4th August - 107 Projects Redfern
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Robowars Sydney 2013 - 3-4th August - 107 Projects Redfern

ROBOWARS coming back to Sydney for 2013!

Robowars Sydney 2013 Pozible Campaign

Sportsman Class Ruleset

Facebook Event Page

Blurb:

Together with QRSC, this event will be Sydney's first ever public featherweight event - Focused on the Sportsman class.

Venue:

Once again, a suitably grungy inner city location has been found - 107 Projects . Located halfway between surry hills and redfern, 107 Projects is community driven creative space, with exhibitions and performances going on all the time.

http://www.107projects.org/

Dates:

3rd and 4th of August, a weekend event from 10AM to 4PM each day. Competitors are expected to arrive by 9AM on the Saturday with robots charged and ready to go, you must pass safety to compete (see below).

Classes:

Robowars Sydney 2013 is an event for Sportsman class Featherweight Robots. Please see the full ruleset here: http://botleague.info/doc/RFLTechRegs-2010-final.pdf

Please read the following excerpt from the RFL Ruleset pertaining to the Sportsman Class, with alterations applicable to Robowars Sydney 2013. If you are in doubt about your machine being within the rules – ask.

Please note all flame weapons are banned at this event.

2.2.1. Intent. The intent of the Sportsman Class is to encourage novel designs and
driving ability. The focus of this class is fun and creativity, not the
annihilation of your opponent. Robots must comply with both the letter and
spirit of these rules to qualify for this class.

2.2.2. Active Weapon Required. Sportsman class robots must have an active
weapon. This is defined as a weapon or device intended for use in attacking the
opponent, independent of the robot drive train. These include but are not
limited to lifters, hammers, clamps and spinning weapons
(within the limitations specified in 2.2.3)

2.2.3. Limitations on Spinning Weapons. Spinning weapons are allowed at this
event. If allowed, weapons that can rotate continuously are
permitted if and only if the edge/tip velocity does not exceed 500 surface feet
per minute (SFM). Weapon SFM will be determined by tachometer prior to the
start of the event using this formula:
SFM = RPM * πD
Flywheels and other spinning parts internal to the robot are allowed without
limit, but may not act directly as weapons. For example, a flywheel-powered

Non-Modified saw blades are exempt from the weapon speed limit.

Determining if your robot qualifies for the sportsman class is at the discretion of the EO, so don't show up with a sneaky 'exploit' robot and expect to be allowed to compete. On the same token, the EO can allow robots that don't quite fit within the rules if it is overall in the spirit of the class. All other RFL rules must be followed.

Costs:

The event has now been fully funded thanks to the generous support of the robotics community! The pozible page can be found here: http://pozible.com/robowars2013

RULES AND SAFETY

All robots will be required to pass a safety check before being allowed to compete, this check will be on the following:

- The robot must come to a complete standstill in the event of loss of signal, this will be tested by driving in a circle and turning the transmitter off.

- The robot must have an easily visible power light to indicate the machine is on.

- The robot must be able to be powered down using a single tool, externally by a unskilled operator within fifteen seconds. No cases or fasteners may be removed. Failure to achieve this is a safety hazard and will result in disqualification.

- Robots may not be powered up outside of the arena under any circumstance - testing is allowed between rounds inside the arena and must be checked with the EO.

- All robots must have their wheels off the ground at all times while in the pit area.

- All sharp surfaces must be suitably padded at all times and only removed once the robot is inside the arena

- All weapons must have a locking mechanism to prevent movement which will be removed once the robot is inside the arena.

The rounds will be strictly scheduled and proceed like this:

Robots will be called in sets during each round, 6 bots at a time. If your bot is not at the front of the line by the time your fight is scheduled you automatically forfeit. No fight times will be changed, however if you require significant time to perform repairs due to damage in previous round the rounds scheduling may be accommodated to allow you to compete rather than forfeit the round. Charging or missing your call to join the queue are not acceptable excuses.

Competitors for the fight will place their radios (powered off) beside the arena on the table, and place their robots in the arena. The drivers power up the robots and leave the arena. The arena door is closed and the drivers then power up their transmitter. The fight begins. After the fight, the transmitters are powered down - arena doors are opened and machines are turned off and returned to the pit area.

Lastly – the EO's word is final.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Last edited by dyrodium on Sun May 19, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 15 times in total

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Flamethrowers???

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

As much as allowing flamethrowers would be awesome... The venue is totally enclosed and indoors... being a public event and riding off the QRSC insurance there's just too much risk. Sorry Nick. Crying or Very sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Ahh well, I knew the answer but I just had to ask anyway. Outside of hammers and clampers, I am a bit stuck for a good design that meets all the rules; they seem to prevent effective lifters and flippers with the rules on wedges - would something with forklift prongs qualify?

Will there be any limitations on materials? I'd like to build a thin walled steel bot that can welded together easily.

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I haven't read the rules in a long time but seems as though a lifter or clampy lifter in the spirit of the class should be a-ok.

Sounds great though, Should be bringing a new one of my own and probably one Fulton will have one.

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, the wedges rule is hard to understand and probably even harder to enforce... Anything 'forklifty' is fine and in my opinion most stubby wedges as part of a weapon design (clamper - crusher etc) is fine by me. Cobra-esque frames, not so much! Laughing

EDIT: And nope no limitations on materials! I think glen was half contemplating a laser cut robot. Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:18 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
Cobra-esque frames, not so much! Laughing

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

OK; I have thought up a suitably wacky electric lifter using an EV Warrior motor Rolling Eyes

Given the insane work load at the day job, I don't know if I can actually build it, but it looks relatively simple on paper.

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

parking?

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Parking should be fine for competitors, there are spaces just need to confirm how many. :3

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So when will the project go up? What will be its run time. Need a few months I think to get all this sorted so might have to be soonish.

KE flipper methinks. Or just one of the pneumatic flippers I have. Would naked turtles front spikes break that wedge rule?

Steve

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:43 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm Spring loaded axe does sound like a laugh. And i do have my bikes old shock sitting there. LETS DO THIS *leeroyyyyyy jennnkiinnnnss*

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:

Limitations on spinning weapons
All devices rotating more than 360 degrees must not exceed 400 rpm. Weapon rpm will be measured by tachometer prior to the start of the event. To remain within the spirit of this class, you should not attempt to create the most destructive spinning weapon possible under the rpm limit. Specific weapons of sufficiently high mass or moment of inertia (MOI) may be limited to lower rpm or disallowed by officials if they deem the weapon to be too destructive. Officials may require submission of specifications including motor, voltage, gearing ratio, weapon weight and dimensions prior to the event.

However, specific weapons of very low mass or very low moment of inertia (MOI) may be allowed at a higher rpm. The intent of said weapons should NOT be to deliver large kinetic hits. But rather cutting, drilling, scraping, ect.

Can I build a Dead Metal or Scoopy Doo type robot with a 5 - 6" angle grinder or saw blade?

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

KE flipper was my first thought too Smile

Pls to confirm me for a parking space, angus?

And btw YAY ANGUS for organising stuff! well done sir

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:00 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

quote:

Can I build a Dead Metal or Scoopy Doo type robot with a 5 - 6" angle grinder or saw blade?

Yes. More so dead metal less so scoopy doo. Dead metal fits perfectly into the rules and I have no problem with stock saw blades. Smile

EDIT: Yeah, something like cold arbor or Enforcer is fine.

Awaiting reply re: parking.

I'm currently planning the campaign while i'm away and will go live next week. It'll run for about 4 weeks I'm thinking... Leaving 2 and a bit mths to organise bots, flights etc. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:08 pm