www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

BotBitz Birthday Bash
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

BotBitz Birthday Bash

In June BotBitz is 2yrs old. Yay. So I have been thinking about running semi-public different style of event.

The plan is to run a 3 day event, where you build then battle robots and of course the event will be sponsored by BotBitz. The aim is to build some feather weights on the first day, fight it out on the second day and we may have some normal beetle or ant rounds on the last day.

The exact date has not beed decided yet but a likely weekend is the Queens Birthday long weekend in June. I also need to find a venue and work out the logistics of doing something like this.

For building the robots main parts can either be provided by yourself or BotBitz will be offering packages/deals on sets of parts for the event. Some limitations will be put on what is & what isn't acceptable, but this has all to be determined. By main parts I am talking about, ESCs, Tx/Rx, Battery, ect.

I have not made any hard decisions on where the line will be drawn at this stage its all very up in the air. I had considered making the part set standardised and part of the entry fee but in line with keeping the cost of entering as low as possible I have moved towards allowing people to bring along what they have. Please don't ask what can I bring, is this ok, at this stage I don't know.

Entry fee is expected to be ~$50 - 100 for the weekend. What this aims to cover is venue hire, prizes and of course all the consumables for the day. We will providing all the main parts for building. Eg. MDF/Ply, cutting boards, steel, wiring, wheels, ect ect.

What I am looking for at the moment is an idea of who is interested. If you are an interstater you should literally be able to rock up with a suitcase full of parts that you have, buy anything you are missing or spares from the botbitz store and hopefully build and make the most out of the weekend. I think we will need at least 10+ Bots/Teams for this to be feasible. (probably capped at 20, not that this is ever an issue) If there is anyone who always talks about making something but never follows through this might also be a good time to get them involved.

If anyone who is interested could let me know and can we also keep discussion about the specifics to a minimum for now.

BUT FYI

Currently Considered Limitations:
MDF construction.
Drill motors for drives.
4S Lipol max
Spinners, must use off the shelf parts, not waterjet bis bars.
brushless weapon systems allowed. Max ESC allowed = 30A
150psi max
no flamethrowers

Steve

Last edited by marto on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:00 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Super Keen. Cool

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

maybe i missed it but what weight classes are we talking about here?
EDIT: I did. All of them apparently, cool

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Feathers for building in 2 days. Just because you can throw something together quickly and without too many custom components.

Beetles and Ants would just be a side line event. As they are easy for interstaters to bring and means you don't make the trip for nothing if you epically fail at building something on the fly.

Steve

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Mkay. Ill watch this as it evolves, im keen but not committing at this stage

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:02 pm 
seanet1310

I love the idea. Just not sure I could make it but I would try if it progresses. Long weekend does help my chances a lot to make it.

Just in case a WA person is floating around. Remember, you guys have Queens birthday in September/October while everyone else has it in June

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Lol sounds similar to the mdf class we tried a while ago.
I think we still have the bot somewhere.

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

ha sounds fun. Go botbitz! Would be epic to see a 20 feather mdf rumble. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:24 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

when is our queens birthday this year? I thought it was moving to october or is it staying in june?

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:37 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-and-safe-work/industrial-relations/public-holidays/dates

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:14 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

ahhhhhh, that's right. The LNP got elected and moved Labor day instead and there was an argument that i couldn't be bothered listening to.
Sooooo...... I might be out if it's the June long weekend. State Championships for my music every year that weekend and I'm currently auditioning to move up a grade. But I need to be closer to the date to know for sure.

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:22 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Could be fun; can you add some clarity to "spinners, must use off the shelf parts"? Would that mean a length of mild steel bar machined to take a hub, or would it be limited to something bought in a shop, like a circular saw blade?

With the construction, could we use metal or plastic plates or angles on the inside of the frame as joiners? No need to answer soon, but I'd have to start designing & building soon to get anything finished in time.

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:11 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Nick, i think the idea is to do the building on the day

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, but from pre-made parts I'd imagine. Unless Steve is expecting us to bring a LOT of tools to the event?

Post Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh but off the shelf it would mean something which is ready made. I am thinking like a saw blade or an axe head bolted to a something with a counterweight. With a couple of pulleys from your local engineering shop.

As far as the construction I was thinking yes either angle to bolt it together of maybe even 15mm box section for internal structure. Might be easier to throw together than trying to build something structural with MDF. But then you open yourself up to someone having heaps of layers of "structural" steel and then a thin skin of timber but...

I haven't really thought about all this in any great detail it might be that we go all the way to us providing a pile of belts pulleys and DC motors and you want to throw together a spinner you have to repurpose junk to find bearings and a bar ect, but this is all speculation.

Really what I am after at this stage is an indication of whether we have enough people to even make this possible.

Steve

Post Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 am