www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Robowars 2013 Rule modifications
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Robowars 2013 Rule modifications

I wanted to talk a little about what rules I would like to enforce for next years comp.

1 - Mandatory switches on all robots, of all weight classes.

The "I just need to put in 3 screws and go" is just not on anymore, causes delays in schedule, makes life hard if you need to power down your robot to wait for someone and is really a pain in the ass as well. As much as you say you are "Ready" you can't walk over to the arena with your robot and just turn it on.

If people are worried about what switch to use we may be able to offer a Botbitz switch for an additional small fee as part of registration but still considering exactly how to do it. (Those who already have switches would not be charged for this)

Also just a quick clarification of what is/isn't ok as far as removable links go. A single plug which is accessible from the outside of the robot, is fine. A single plug which requires any tools, screws, removal of covers to get to it. Is NOT ok. Secondly the link must be REMOVABLE. It should not be your battery lead.

2 - Onboard Cameras
I am tempted to offer weight bonus's to anyone willing to put a camera on their robot. Not sure exactly how this would work but if anyone is interested in putting cheap semi disposable video cameras on their bots. Then I am very interested to see the footage.

Going to have to do a few things to make sure people don't use cameras as armour but I reckon would make for some very cool, bot cam shots.

Probably more to come. But will just keep adding them here as I think of them.

Steve

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:46 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

We did a little on-robot camera action in like the 2nd beetle round we had last year at Marayong. Produced horrifying audio and rarely interesting shots but wasnt wideangle so that didnt help. There were some hilarious moments though

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:08 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh I would say 90% of it would be boring, but still that one shot of your robot getting sawed in half might be worth it.

Steve

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

We did one long long ago with those crappy little 2.4ghz cameras mounted on my old drum bot and angus' vertical spinner. The footage was pretty good on that!

Just have to isolate it from the masses of vibration and definitely the wider angle the better.

Already have that garbage oregon scientific action cam strapped to demon for the next event. eh eh eh.

Though the gopro 3 came out a few hours ago. I wonder what the cost of 2nd hand gopro 1s will be? (they're still plenty capable) cause the stupidly wide angle on those would be perfect.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Re: Robowars 2013 Rule modifications

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
Also just a quick clarification of what is/isn't ok as far as removable links go. A single plug which is accessible from the outside of the robot, is fine. A single plug which requires any tools, screws, removal of covers to get to it. Is NOT ok. Secondly the link must be REMOVABLE. It should not be your battery lead.

Why is accessing the battery plugs not ok? Why is it different or not as safe as a link or plug or any other wiring?

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 pm 
andrew

as one of the main culprits i agree with the switch thing to a point

main issue is that my two drums are dead on weight limit and adding a switch will add weight which i can scrape off somewhere else other issue is there is no room in the newer one.

All designs i do now for ants ill buy and use them switches botbitz are selling now but implementing a switch in my current builds will result in a rebuild

I can maybe modify the wiring and do a rmeovable plug thing with a TINY little connector but will be fiddly.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:10 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

There is no physical way to determine if the robot has been disarmed. And what happens when your battery leads touch together? And ends up with too much temptation to end up with the "Oh just let me put this screw in, or tie this down.", particularly in the smaller classes.

The botbitz switch doesn't register on my scales without the case. 1g res. So not sure how much it weighs, but its really not much. I am certain that most ants could fit it with 0 modifications and a wiring tidy up.

Steve

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Having a switch in my ant was awesome, but did add a bit of weight. Definitely doable though and worth it to just have the ant all ready to go in a few seconds.

Beetle was pretty terrible, with the tape and all... but last minute entry.

The removable link in roadkill took about 5 seconds to put in, and pull out. I think i'll sort a whyachi style switch for it next time though. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I wasn't refering to antweights. Something like Egg Rolls only had the battery plug and a biscuit tin lid.

Also how do you know when a robot is turned on if its using a Botbitz switch? Just adding that style of switch doesn't show if the robot is armed or disarmed. That's the reason I added LED's to my ants.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:49 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What sort of weight bonus would we get for carrying a camera - just the camera + mount, or some extra weight for protecting it? Either way, it sounds like a good idea!

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

You should have a power light as well as a switch.

Hmm, we could perhaps add one to our ant switch, though we would need to do it for a particular voltage and you would need to run a negative wire to the switch as well.

we are also looking at beetle and feather switches any ideas as to if illumination is worth it?

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I think stevo didn't mention a light because it's already set out clearly in the rules, you 'have' to have one. A switch is more ambiguous with the *30 seconds turn off* thing.

I wouldn't worry about putting a light in the switch, but a separate battle light might be a worthy product. Cool All I know is the blue SMD I used in FLS looked so fly. Cool

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:27 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Power LED and Switch should be mandatory regardless of weight class.
The amount of delays at nationals waiting for people to (un)duct tape / (un)bolt covers to power on/off was shit.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:43 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

No opposition here, switches in all robots fo sure. We all have plenty of time till the next lot of events Razz

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yes you are correct daniel. LEDs too.

Steve

Last edited by marto on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am