www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Sidetracked 2012 competition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Serial

Sidetracked 2012 competition

Hey guys,
I'm a new indy builder and was wondering if any eo's were setting up a 2012 competition at sidetracked .
I know it's really early but I figured most people on this forum complain about people not being able to reach deadlines so the earlier the better right?
If no eo's intend to organise (I heard that the Vic competitions have died, how inconvient) then what is required to be an EO? What does it involve? Should I try to be one myself Question
Sincerely,
Sam Very Happy

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

At this stage nothing is planned as far as I know. There are a few people keen in Vic but you would probably need to work on a few small events. Things have been bit slow for a while so would probably need to try and get back some builders or encourage some new people.

Might even be worth trying to get some ants or beetles going down there as they make it easier for people to get started.

Also I will probably move this to State Specific section as well. As this section is meant for Event Announcements.

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Details from another thread...

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:

So, you dont have to pay to use the arena, but there are the following requirements.

1. A single person (who is over 18 {essential} and a responsible reliable Adult type) has to be nominated as "The Organiser" and take responsibility for..

2. contacting Mark at least 2 weeks in advance - preferably more, as Sidetracked often books up Kids Parties and other events weeks or months in advance.

3. The Organiser must ensure that *all* participants behave in a safe, considerate fashion towards the facilities, staff and customers of Sidetracked. Whoever is "The Organiser" is reponsible for all other particpants good behaviour..

If some twit opens the arena door while robots are still driving around, or spinning weapons are active, bumps into Sidetracked customers with spikey bits, or does something dumb like powers up their bot in a dangerous area, or *drives* their robot from the pits to the arena, or around the pits, or damages tables, walls etc, The Organiser can expect to get their butt kicked, possibly have the lot of you ejected from the premises, and you will screw it up for everyone.

As the Organiser, it is *your* job to ensure safe Arena proceedures are followed.

4. ensure that the pit area area is left *clean*.. No empty drink bottles, rubbish, robots parts, metal filings on the floor or anything that will cause Sidetrcaked staff to have to clean up after you. No using power tools, angle grinders, welders or anything hazardous and environment damaging in the pits.

5. Once "The Organiser" goes home, all other participants are to stop using the arena from that time on, *and* vacate the pit area. You must notify the Sidetracked Duty manager (not just any staff member) that you are finished and are now leaving . Anyone can hang around and chat in the cafe area, but leaving other people staying/working in the pit area assigned to you or using the arena after you leave is not on. This way no-one can say "well, everything was fine when *I* left"

Understand that on weekends, the Rental Bots are in frequent use, and this is the source of $ income that makes it worth Sidetracked leaving the Arena permanently set up and not putting Arcade games in the space it takes up..

So unless you want to hold your gatherings at an off-peak time like a mid-week afternoon or other time suggested by Sidetracked as being customer quiet, you must

6. Arrange your fights in a tight group all together at scheduled times.

Something like every 1 or 2 hours *on the hour* for 15-30 minutes at a time, and then clear the arena for the Rental bots use again whilst you all recharge/repair/chat etc. This way the arena isn't just being used for a scattered minutes here and there taking up an hour and causes minimum disruption to the paid use of the Rental Bots..

This will also give competitors good experience at what a big event is like where you have to be ready to fight on a deadline at a particular time and not just whenever you feel like it and are ready . If only a couple of you guys are currently ready, then line up your bots on the floor and help out the other guys to get a group of you ready all together for a "fight round".

It also will entertain the customers with some solid non-stop action for a while, then they can wander off and do other things while you all recoup. Again *this is the organiser's responsibility to schedule fight times and stick to them* . Waste Sidetracked facilities time and you *will* have to pay for time in future.

6. The rental robots can be left in the Arena as obstacles *if* the robots fighting are not high-energy spinning or ramming types that could possibly damage them. If there is *any* possibility of the rental bots being damaged, they must be *switched off*, and removed from the Arena and stored out of the way during the scheduled fight times. As soon as the current group of fights are over, they are to be returned to the arena and switched back on for the customers use.

The rental bots are *heavy* and large, and have to be tilted to fit through the arena door, so you should get Darren, Dusty or one of the senior Sidetracked staff/managers to assist with this - they dont want anyone hurt in the process.. so another reason to keep all your fights in a group once every hour or two (depending on how many of you there are) so you dont have to bug them too often. Arrange with the current duty manager that you would like them removed for 1/2hr at pre-specified times and then returned.

So basically, as "The Organiser", dont expect to just waltz in whenever you feel like it, use the arena at your convenience during peak (weekend) business times and just go home when you've had enough.

Be considerate of the fact that Sidetracked are providing you with *two* spaces (The Arena and the Pit) free of charge.. Remember that this place is a business, and they have no obligation to do anything for people who arent custoemrs.

The arena cost many thousands of dollars, and staff wages, insurance, power and facilities all cost money.. Treat them with respect and courtesy and behave *responsibly* and maturely. Make sure others do too.

*After* you have called Mark, asked nicely and confirmed that the date you want is available (sometimes Sidetracked is closed for private bookings)..

then...

You must Print this out, write your name, address, contact phone number, hand write "I agree to the above conditions, accept responsibility for the operation and safe conduct of the participants from [start time/date] until [end time/date] " , sign and date it, and deliver it to Mark at least 1 week *before* you want to hold your event" . Show him some ID - Drivers licence or something like that so he knows you are who you say you are.

Call it a "party" so it fits in with Sidetracked's normal business operations.

If you dont like the sound of all of those conditions, feel free to run your own event in your own backyard and deal with all the work to host people yourself.

Remember that this list of conditions is nothing more (except maybe the cleaning up after yourself part) than any parent booking a party at Sidetracked would be expected to agree to. So get it all together and be professional, or play in your own backyard.

Anyone have any problems with that ? If you can handle all that, and someone is willing to put their hand up as "The Man", then its time to start talking about when you want to do it *several weeks from now* - and welcome to the world of being an E.O. (Event Operator). Wink

And If *I* hear of anyone being a twit, expect me to chew you out in public, and possibly ban you from the forum and any future events. Robot Wars is dangerous (thats why its fun).. Use your head and you will get to keep all your other body parts intact.

regards
Brett

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:54 am 
shreddy

I was just thinking about a vic event.
Sean suggested that a possible date could be early november, so as not to clash with the qld event as he will be going there.

I would be willing to put my head on the chopping block as EO if it means we can get things rolling in vic however i would not be able to early november due to uni exams, i would be free otherwise.

yes this should get moved to the state specific section as its only a discussion now, once things are final they get put in the event announcements Smile

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:42 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Any time this year at this stage will probably be a small local comp, if you can generate enough hype for a big event next year/talk to sidetracked then it may be possible to have another big national event in VIC. It'll need a fair gap from the Dec Brisbane event...

Let me know if you need any help creating 'hype'. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 am 
seanet1310

Early November was just an idea if a few where interested to get testing and prep for the Brissy event.

Never Did hear back from Neweyn, Rob and a couple others.

Shreddy if you are out for November might be worth investigating another date see if we can get a few more. I am out October for uni and December due to Brissy.

A local event may be best to aim for at this stage. I would agree maybe beetles or ants if not enough interest in feather. ( ants way too fiddly IMHO but a basic one can be built in a day or two)

Steve: +1 for moving to state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Serial

I'm happy to be the Eo for some Vic events but it will have to be post this November, as I don't turn 18 till late then. Maybe next year march? I'll have more time to build hype and robots during the break

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 pm 
Serial

Also, is the sidetracked arena suitable for lightweight, are people interested in lightweight?

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:36 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

No probably not lightweight. Would be interesting to even see NSW feathers in there now. And no not really much interest in lightweight.

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 pm 
seanet1310

I would say NO to lightweights.

I remember seeing a lightweight of Garys (i think) hit the arena wall hard and from that I would say serious work would need to be done first. No way for lightweight spinners. Of course It would be all up to Sidetracked.

Demon Was fine in the area last robowars and there has been little feather action post that in the country so I would think they are still fine.
(maybe an improved roof. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ARegularFan

I'd be really interested in a comp if you could organise it. I live in Melbourne and found this website. Excitement at the idea of building a fighting robot (or whatever you call them) I stated researching. Only to find there weren't any comps in Vic.
I haven't got a robot (yet), but I'm looking for any excuse to build one. If you can workout a comp at Sidetracked I'll be there

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:13 pm 
ARegularFan

*Excited at the idea....

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:14 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

You can go back and edit posts with the edit button. Smile
As far as I know, the sidetracked arena is still assembled... they just run rental robots in there, I'd definitely go check it out to get an idea of the scale.

As far as VIC events go however... not going to happen, the big comps have moved to QLD now and if you get a machine together, worth the trip!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:45 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh its not even the arena these days its the fact that I don't think anyone is left in Vic.

Steve

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:29 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

You just need 4 enthusiastic teams to have a good day of fighting. If you can get 3 more enthusiastic Victorian teams and a gargage you'll be set.

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:33 pm