www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Weapon of choice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I like full-biody spinners, but if I had an unlimited budget and a huge amount of knowledge on hydrolics, I would definatly build a hydrolic spike (imagine seeing a bot satay-skewer another?! Oh, it's but a dream Sad .

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:19 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just wait for plan c Wink

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Windhammer

What do u guys think about flails??? (a chain with a hammer head or something on each end with a motor in the middle

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:18 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

not much,

flains only store energy in the flail part, not the bar or other parts behind the chain as per a normal spinner.

i would only say they are useful for reducing load on the weapon motor (if its a drill say) or to stop something flipping over (if it used to with a normal bar or shell etc.)

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Personally a flail is one of the 4 big weapons I ha planed on building as I believe it is the most under rated weapon out there. I have done the calculations and people only look at the amount of energy stored in the head compared to say a spinning disc. Well some of the calculations I done compared a 8Kj disc to what I figured to be an equivilant flail in terms of mass. The flail had a spinning axial with 8 chain flails with 100g weights on the end down the length of the axial. I calculated that each fail had only 18joules of energy. Now this is where people start thinking about ineffective they'll be, but think further. The energy in a spinning disc or bar is only potential energy at that stage and in order to get all of that into the other robot the weapon has to hit hard enough that all the energy is transfered. This means that the hit has to be big enough that the spinners stops on impact. I have never seen a spinner manage to do that (well a decent spinner anyway). The imact also takes all the speed out of the spinner and she'll have to back off and wind up again. I guessed that a good spinner driver may be able to get in maybe 1 hit like this every 10 seconds.
Now with a flail the hit will take almost all the energy out of the hit, even though its a smaller hit. With less energy removed the rest of the system pulls the flail off and swings it around again. With a decent motor at the other end, or as I designed at one stage, a fly wheel, to keep the speed up a flail may keep hitting for about 5 seconds with out loosing to much speed. Now 8 flails at about 1200 rpm will hit the other robot around 160 times a second. If it can keep this up for about 10 seconds with all 8 flails hitting (pinning the other robot may be required I think) that'll be about 227Kj of energy. Obversily the speed of the flail would be drastically reduced in this sort of attack, so it might only be a tenth of that, but thats still 23Kj compared to the spinners 8Kj over a 10 second attack.

But then again I have drawn up flails at work that are used for mulching trees and even boulders, but I have never drawn up and industrial spinning bar to do the same thing.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tunna

Hi all the old Bulldog is still pretty competetive,but next year will be a more destructive year, as more arenas are able to cope with the big
spinners,and the audiences want destruction ! Twisted Evil , old Bulldog
is looking a little battered at the moment,too many spinner,and Terrahertz,
fights! Crying or Very sad the new spinner is a Horizontal, but will look like something
between Mechavore,and Surgeon General,and hopefully be just as destructive,

Der Boyz

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mmm problem with that kkeerroo is that to cause damage you *need* to do it all at once. (other than vibrating them to death) otherwise you wont excede the strength of materials.

imagine hitting your thumb with a hammer, take the force / time and then change that time to say 5 seconds with the same total energy, it wouldnt really bother you.

though the affect on most bots of severe vibration would probbly make up for a lack of ripping bits off ;->

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have to agree for another reason - after 5 seconds the opponent bot is usually well out of weapon reach (unlike the average boulder). With the types of weapon and power sources allowed in our rules, an energy release over a short time and small area can't help but be more effective.

Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:31 am 
chris

My personal favourite weapons are undercutters, overhead spinners (like anhiliation) and flippers like Chaos 2

Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:35 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

well chris just say you love them all mate ....i do Wink

Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Just out of interest, is a hydrolic spike POSSIBLE in a 100kg bot? Confused 'Cause that's my dream to build some day, and not many other people (i don't know any) have done it, so it would be a unique Idea to! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:20 am 
chris

what do you mean when you say hydraulic spike, do you mean a crushing spike like razor or a crappy poker spike like that of tornado*
trying to keep things interesting and struggling with other commitments but still good Very Happy
C'ya from chris

*No disrespect to tornado at all, I mean they won RW series 6 (by pulling a major upset IMO) its just that I dont feel that propelled spikes weather driven by pneumatics or hydraulics are not competition material in todays compeditive Robot combat world

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:18 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

probably like tornado's, but I wish there was a way to make then so much more speedy and powerfull.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:52 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well then you don't mean hydraulic if you’re after speed.

You need to go for max speed for a large amount of energy in the hit (like an axe)
Or max pressure behind it (meaning slow) so you can crush though any armor (Razer )

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:28 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm there is a way to get both
plan-D perhaps
lightweight at least unfortunatly
hydraulics are *heavy*

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number