www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Reboot from Rotwang - Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

I believe it has a UFO type shape to it with the drum hanging out the front. After hearing Gary has made the robot small, I would say 3mm stainless steel sides from his usual sources. The weapon looks cool, probably powered by something with plenty of torque at good RPM. Looks very wedgeable, so I'd love to see a match between Vertical Limit and Re-Boot Cool

Good work Gary and Rob.

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:43 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

This is as much as I are showing you..Enjoy Smile

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=409

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:24 pm 
andrew

oh boring. why not the full size done robot pic.

scared are we ?? Very Happy.

That looks truly awesome though i must say. very nice work indeed from Gary and you boys once again.

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:31 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

I wanted to keep the apearance of Re-Boot fully armoured until the Robowars II, its not quite finished either so I going to keep you all curious, Very Happy

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:44 pm 
andrew

Rob or gary or gang,

those pics look really cool and u look truly threatening in that pic which is cool.

One thing i did not understand with minimower and now reboot is what is the arrangement with the plastic wheels and how do they work.

Is it just two plastic wheels on the end of the drum with bearings in them and threded rod through the middle or something.

Hows the wheels attached to drum

hows thick is the shaft and what do u use

do the wheels have bearings already mounted inside them

how thick is the steel drum and whats the diameter or height of it.

thanks.

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:32 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

ReBoot Drum is 135mm diameter and 165mm in length. 4.5mm thickness, the drum was made from a water pipe.
In total weigh about 2 and half Kilograms

MiniMower’s Drum is 355mm long, roughly 100mm diameter, 1.6mm thick. The drum was made from an exhaust pipe.

ReBoot will bite you with its 9.5mm Tool steel teeth 5 are positioned at 70 degree intervals, there should almos be only one that hits the robot on a full rotation. There so sharp I just cut myself on it I swear Rotwang robots are becoming more dangerous!
The plastic bag trolley wheel leaves most of the weight and energy in the outer steel pipe, the plastic also absorbs some of the shock.
We had so many of these lying around from our heavyweight, so we put them into ReBoot it has one wheel in each side of the drum, we used the lathe to machine down the ends of the Plastic wheels so it would be flush with the drum.
One of the best Polyurethane adhesive was used on ReBoot’s drum, Wurths Polyurethane. MiniMower had a cheaper brand Sikaflex polyurethane adhesive.
The original cheap bearings from the bag trolleys were replaced with proper ones for ReBoot who runs the drum at a higher RPM, although the cheap ones sufficed for MiniMower’s slower weapon speed.
The Drum spins on 16mm diameter shaft made from towel rail, the tube does not spin with the drum, it’s immobilised at both ends to give support to the front.
ReBoot’s weapon is still friction drive like MiniMower, we experimented with a faster motor but the rubber tyre expanded a bit like what happened to Keros. Very Happy
We did not want to run the drum to fast because the gyroscopic forces start to conflict with the control quality. Another thing is the chance of getting a good bite on the opponent with an extremely fast drum is reduced.
Priority wise the decisions were made for reliability over a 2 day event, so low battery drain with the scooter motors seemed more desirable.
Eventually the drum should spin in both directions when flipped, extra feet are there to send the shock into the ground from the recoil of launching opponent into the air (hopefully).
The idea of the robot hitting itself does not appeal to us, this way the hit just goes from the drum through these solid legs into the arena floor

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:49 pm 
andrew

that sounds pretty wicked mate.

One thing i liked of all your bots is that non are over the top engineering etc etc and are built using basic parts which sorta help newbies as even the best can be built with simple parts and tools.

Nice work once again.

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:02 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Thank you Smile

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:10 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Builders meeting

Sidetracked Robowars arena was tested today by Victoria builders.
Thanks Bret for organising Smile
ReBoot took its first driving test, was like driving on ice, the floor has not been finished more paint will be applied before the event.
There is no possibility of getting wedged under the sides as the walls go down past the floor. Smile
The absence of side rails leaves smooth wall, nothing to get hooked on or jammed under.
Great visibility
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=421

I am pleased to say there were no problems with ReBoot, just some finishing of details eg. Mount the main powers switch properly and tidy up the aerial. Get its spare batteries ready and Brand new scooter wheels need to be worn in before traction improves.
We were surprised by Reboot who put on a cool move when doing a fast spin to test its victory dance We didn’t think the drum would be spinning fast enough to lift a wheel, it is Very Happy
Hopefully he will have chance to show of his victory dance in a fortnight.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=420
You can see some fragments of the VCRs Dad brought to smash he didn’t want more work fixing the damage the Drum would have caused to our own robots. However Tim gladly offered his K.O. as a test subject both for ReBoot’s drum and to find how his own armour would hold up. Maybe I'll leave Tim to tell you about that.Smile

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=424
Here I am removing the VCR guts from ReBoot’s drum (lots wires and various other fragments). Illegal entanglement device lost the fight against the VCR Sad

Fragmentor did not do much, batteries were not charged, new weapon motor hopefully will arrive in time.
Ballistics pneumatics are not quite finished, matt was happy with how it drove apart from the pieces of VCR that got caught under it (and Tim’s robot)
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=421

Stainless Steel Rat cruised around showing its new ‘Batmobile’ tailfins.

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

impressive Cool , the new arena looks sweet, the radio reception in there should be perfect.

the new inspector general and modifications to scoopy and rat look pretty cool also.

Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
We were surprised by Reboot who put on a cool move when doing a fast spin to test its victory dance We didn’t think the drum would be spinning fast enough to lift a wheel, it is

Wait till you see Vertical Limits. I turned it a bit quick in the shed with the flywheel going and it did a huge dance and picked up the outside wheel and crab walked across the shed before flipping over.

Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:20 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I was just checking the frequency table and I noticed that Reboots frequency 72.370 has somehow missed out on being listed.

If you can take care of that too please Brett. Smile

Apart from that Reboot finally got a new drum for the Junkyard event.
Improved design with the plastic wheels better protected.

Oh and one other thing I have a confession to make.
I shorted the aux wire on Reboots IBC prepping him for the junkyard fight and damaged it. Sad

That’s it for the Rotwang perfect record with IBC, s
Have you had a chance to check it yet Brett?

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:02 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=897

Smile Mini Mower 2 years old, come along way with the Robot combat in Australia since then, just looking back at some old build pictures on my computer.

Mini Mower can still play it pretty compedative, Rye event was a good example although I only had one drive motor in the Vincent vs Mini Mower fight :p

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:30 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Small update on ReBoot..
During the pre event service a bent drum shaft has been discovered this would have occured during Junk Yard event because the old shaft which bent during the Robowars II had been replaced since then.

Replacing the shaft which currently is a 2mm tube with a solid one will be a priority for Rotwangs Drum bot. Confused

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:11 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Replacing the shaft which currently is a 2mm tube with a solid one will be a priority for Rotwangs Drum bot.

You mean 15mins work to Gary Wink

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:37 pm