www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Marryong Ref Bot

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Marryong Ref Bot

looking at the last event it seems that some kind of refbot would help with robots getting hooked up on each other etc.

dad and i have been looking at whats needed to make a new and improved "Refbot 2 : The deadining" and we are currently thinking 3mm plate steel as the main construction material, 4x windscreen wiper motors, belt drive final stage, proportional controll speed controller (probbly a DIY jobby but FET and micro based so it wont suck lol) .

currently we are looking for donations/suggestions of/on cheap parts for it. looking for steel, wheels (good ones), controllers, motors etc.

jeff you got those 4 motors to replace the existing refbots they still availablle?
we are currently looking at the $12 bunnings 160mm metal wheels (with bearings)

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

Well personally the currnect refbot is fine.

I really think we should just improve orkeep that one as jeff has worked hard on it and it is effective (providing the driver is good).

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:38 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

from what i gathered it didnt seem like jeff had much enthusiasm to keep it going, (am i even right jeff??)

steel would be good, tough enough to take a hit from a spinner if it did happen to get caught in the crossfire, as weight isnt really of concern.

batteries well probably some high AH SLAs would do the job, weight doesnt really matter again.

for the motors maybe you may want to look at those big 300w scooter motors at www.oatleyelectronics.com

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Try to make the refbot as small as possible too, he's currently a bit big to have in the arena as he takes up space and if the driver has to get him out the way, most of the time he gets infront of your viewing range adn then you cannot see where your going and could end up getting damage because of it.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:14 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

current plan is for something about the size of a packing box, 600x400 or so

power would be a car battery

mmm thaught, refbot could have its own little "hidey hole" under the table out of the arena?

the current refbot is too slow and too difficult to controll so it mostly seems to get in the way,
we need something that can get in, split bots up and get out quickly.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I can donate an NPC actuator that I was keeping for a rainy day. You would need to add limit switches

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:22 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

I just didn`t get around to putting the new motor into Refbot or finish his lifting arm that is planned to solve most of the tie up problems. Also, there is still a lot of detail and character I want to add to him so he`s not being shelved just yet.
Saying that, we can never have too many bots, so if you want to make one, go for it and I`m sure we`ll just end up using watever works best as a refbot. Yes, a smaller one I can imagine apearing out of a hatch somewhere, doing his thing and then dissapearing back inside! Reminds me of when we had K9 out and were calling him Refdog Very Happy
I need one of those ww motors at least, I think there are two more but with different sized gear. There is another stlye in plentifull supply at pick and payless, I can`t remember what car they were from but I remember where they are,, sort of,, Any other spare parts I am always happy to donate.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:48 pm