www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

How Much Life Does The Sport Have Left In It.

Author    Thread
chris

How Much Life Does The Sport Have Left In It.

today I have been going though the websites on robotcombat.com and so many of them havent been updated for like 2 years, robotwars has gone out of buisness and there doesnt seem to be many new addition to the robot databases and I am wondering, is the sport dying?

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:59 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Re: How Much Life Does The Sport Have Left In It.

quote:
Originally posted by chris:
is the sport dying?

HELL NO!

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Over there it might be dying in some parts, but the lvie circuits are flowing with bots, roboteers and phat competitions!

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:20 pm 
DavidM

We are yet to have our finest hour.

I'm a relative newcomer, but I remember a meeting with Team Rotwang, Tim and Jason at Spockies house with only two bots and hearing of Vertex up north. Less than a year later it was Robowars, recently the Annihilator was huge and RW2 is up the barrel. Exposure on TV, the websites, looking at the number of people we are growing modestly, I'm certainly not worried about not being able to find someone to rumble with.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:29 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by DavidM:
I'm certainly not worried about not being able to find someone to rumble with.

Wish it wasnt the case that fights in Vic are a year apart. Long time to wait to see if your wheels stay on or your radio works.

I enjoy the building myself as many others do so get my own satisfaction from that and will definatley build other robots but cant say its just for combat. THeres not enough of it.

Am a bit envious about you NSW guys and your events and the experience you are all getting. Need a damn shed Very Happy

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey george, call up tim and david and all the rest and just have yourself a carpark event!

anyway chris take it from someone who checks 2 australian, 2 british and 4 american forums. this sport is thriving.

end of story.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
3Faze

Robotic Combat in the UK is past it's sell-by date. In Australia, it's still whatever you can make of it. Whether or not you can make the sport work in Australia, and catalyse a return of the sport into the public eye internationally is down to you guys more than anyone else in the world.

No pressure mind Very Happy

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:04 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Organising big gala events like the public RoboWars one takes a fair bit of effort, plus SideTracked threw a spanner in the works by disassembling their dodgem car arena on us.. They have plans to reassemble it, but it will take them at least another 6 months. in the meantime we are working on plans to hold a big event anyway, and quite possibly at least 1, maybe more builders events before the years end.

This year we got distracted by the TV filming project, followed up by the big trip to sydney..

Since we've been back I *have* been working on the next event - it was our original plan to hold them 6 monthly originally and encourage other states to do about the same, so every month or two there would be a major event on in a different state for those who want to travel, but keep it easy for the locals who dont to get to a major event once or twice a year.

Instead Sydney has gone for smaller fights more often, and Andrew has had a few small fights in queensland, and thats it. Its not the sport thats dying, its the number of people prepared to get off their ass and organisie a proper event that is low.

At the first Robowars event, we had 16 bots and most didnt work very well, 6 months later at marayong we had 30+ bots and the fighting quality was much higher. nearly doubled the numbers in 6 months, with TV coverage to occur just after, and someones worried about it dying ??

In America and the UK, they grew *too* fast, went straight for the boom time with major TV coverage, the sport exploded in popularity not because the people who got involved like the sport, they liked the *TV*. When the TV went away for a while (The general publics interest is a fickle thing), then the big $ bot builders disocevered that its hard to do out of your own pocket at the 100Kg + classes and closed up waiting for the TV fame to come back.

In the meantime however, a new generation of *real* builder who arent just seeking the fame of the TV lens has sprung up and the sport is now growing at a healthier sustainable rate.. have a look at www.metalmunchingmaniacs.com - I just ordered their 4-DVD set.

I have no doubt that this sport will still exist in a signifcant way on 50 years. it may or may not be on prime time TV. We may end up being the creators of Skynet and get turned on by our own creation (the old frankenstein myth), or the skills we are acquiring may make us all the designers of a future company called "World Robots inc." (or similair).

Where it goes is up to *you* - watching others to see if its dying so you know whether to jump ship or not just means you arent living your dreams, instead your fears. Go Forth and do as your imagination tells you can be done.. Cool

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Hey Brett,
the madoverlord dude (love your bots and work by the way) said that those dvd's can be played on australian playstation 2's and dvd players etc.
is ths true. If so i might buy them as well. if not could u make a copy of them to a dvd disc or tape and i will buy it off u.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:32 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Those DVD's do work on our computer DVD players. Cool

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

Ah so u guys have them as well. How r they.

Would they work on a playstation 2 dvd player system.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:24 pm