Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

oh yeah...hope they got it on vid!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

I got it on jakes phone, there were a couple other cameras as well. Glens disc gently removed LOTS of stuff today Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Really epic day, thanks everyone for coming out! There was only 5 robots but they where defiant to the end, till glen eviscerated all of them. Laughing

Some key carnage photos from the day, videos i'll try my best but again they're massive and my upload sucks... Confused

3mm ali damage from killer on wide-load:

Note the ali taking on the pattern from the chopping board backing it! Laughing Quality.

Blown up end caps and mysterious bad soldering that looked perfect. Embarassed

Bie bie titanium:

Carbine II's surgically removed drum and incredible damage to solid ali billet:

The arena shrapnel after killer had its way with narwal and wide-load:

And from above the side of Jakes wedge bot after it speared into the barrier and then the frame broke free mid flight (we think...)

1st - Killer
2nd - Narwal
3rd/4th - Wide Load and Carbine II

We've taken care of the problem:

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:58 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

heheh

at first i thought that was a pile of body parts under there cos his shirt blends in with the floor Razz

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I thought Glen might have finally moved out of home.... The arena construction was just his way of building a house, that is portable and doubles as a robot arena Laughing

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:25 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

ha ha
What is that joint I can see a skeleton and an industrial bin? Is it where they film myth busters..he he

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It does look a bit like M5 Industries - no sign of Jamie or Adam though. It was an epic event and I have the first video uploading right now.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:09 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Videos:

Killer VS Narwal: http://www.nswrfc.org/video/NSWRFC_2012_03_03/Demon_vs_Narwal.mp4

Killer VS Wide Load: http://www.nswrfc.org/video/NSWRFC_2012_03_03/Demon_vs_Wideload.mp4

Killer VS Jake: http://www.nswrfc.org/video/NSWRFC_2012_03_03/Demon_vs_Jake.mp4

Check back soon for more!

Last edited by Nick on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:15 pm 
RogueTwoRobots

You let Demon fight a bunch of little beetles?! No wonder Glen won Laughing

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

DOH! I'm sick and its late - its hard to even spell Exorcist, let alone remember which one is which Embarassed

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:38 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Nick, Glen's Beetle is Killer Laughing
Exorcist is his antweight Wink

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:43 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Third times a charm, t'was Killer that fought today Razz but with all the running around your more than excused haha!

Phew, what a titanic month/weekend/day. Need a huge sleep now but a fantastic day IMHO. Was great to meet a bunch of other like minded groups today and the r2d2 space is an awesome location for something like a robot event.

Nick and Jake get a huge thanks from me, their help with transporting around the arena + Helping with the actual fabrication was instrumental in it being completed at all. Not that much to do now to make it better aside from slathering it in paint and playing around with the bumpers + floor panels to make the polycarb fit in a little easier. But all in all i think the arena worked pretty well as expected, so that's satisfying Smile

Now i have nothing other to do Perhaps i'll have a crack at a good ole fashion event report. Prepare for a megapost!

Got up early on Friday morning to get the arena sorted - it still needed a major amount of fabrication and to say i was shitting myself was an understatement. Some tabs fabricated to hold the top of the polycarb which meant drilling all the beams and tapping them, plus cutting out 8 squares of steel. Trying to set up a 2.4 meter beam of steel on a tiny toy size drill press is fun to say the least.

The last few hours before Nick arrived was spent furiously tearing the arena apart in a downpour, ankle deep in mud, then grinding the rust off the visible bits and painting any rogue bare pieces of wood (they hide somehow, i swear O_O). So after some mysterious voodoo packing magic by Nick we'd somehow managed to stuff the entire arena into the van and hauled it over to the venue. I don't think the poor van will ever be the same after the punishment inflicted upon it this weekend XD!

Angus, Nick and myself got the arena structure up surprisingly quickly and the woodwork needed some trimming to fit. 2 weeks worth of hurricane weather probably helped us none in that regard. fortunately we only had to trim two bumpers and in possibly one of the most brutal scenes this side of the texas chainsaw massacres Angus and i passed the entire 20mm floor panel through the bandsaw to trim a little bit off the edge. LETS NEVER SPEAK OF THAT AGAIN D:

None the less we we're done by about 10:30 and the rest of the night we spent just tooling around with the arena neatening it up. Was rather amazed how much more solid the arena was on a real floor vs a waterlogged mud-pit XD

After some much much needed sleep, i shambled into the event at about 10am and everyone showed up more or less around then as well. Only 30 minutes after we opened and we started the fights not much later. Still a bit blown away we were all that tardy haha, I'll chalk that one up to a fluke this time ;P

Won't go into the fights but I thought they were all pretty entertaining, specially considering we had 5 robots, and shockingly even the wedge on wedge (sounds perverse that doesn't it lol) ones weren't too bad! Videos coming soon Smile

I didn't get the first few fights cause the camera angle was horrible, But Dennis (another decent fella at the space and possibly macguyvers brother?) cooked up a good mount using a clamp and a 7ah SLA so i got the later ones Smile

Didn't touch the robot aside from charging which i guess is what everyone strives to achieve, so I'll be riding off that buzz for a few weeks XD. Totally glad the money poured into getting that disk made was worth it. The only issue seems to be the pinion gear on one motor has slipped and the hole the axle sits in on the weapon frame work is mashed out, so ill have to weld a washer on there or something to thicken it. None the less, i won't be complaining! Shocked

We were done by around 4:30 and all of us got the arena knocked down in about 30 minutes and packed ready for the epic voyage, which seemed to go on forever, back to Jake's where it now lives in the back room Smile for now at least! Thanks everyone for the help there Smile

So that's about my recollection of things XD My memory might become less hazed in the coming days, but in any case, totally glad it was a success of a day and looking foward to more in the future, which is the keyword, cause I'm having a friggin decent break now haha.

I'll upload the individual fights tonight and a compilation of everything is underway Smile

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

nick-why r your videos always have the sound way out of sync?

antweight videos were roughly same

good videos tho

my fail beetle exploded awesome today

THREE TIMES

i earned that fail award damn it

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

results are at
http://www.vapourforge.com/jake/rw/2012/03-03/results/2012-03-03.html

videos are at
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA8C75518EFFFF469

i'm goin to bed
had enough duct tape today.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Post Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger