www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

2012 - Robowars NSW Round 2 Public Beetle Event - March 3rd
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

2012 - Robowars NSW Round 2 Public Beetle Event - March 3rd

Alright guys, so this is the next event planned for Robowars NSW. Kicking off the thread nice and early! The date's the same but some very exciting news! Very Happy

CONFIRMED

Location: Sydney Robot Workshop! Although previously planned to host an event at the Robodino hackerspace, recent events has lead to them moving in with the R2D2 club at the gladesville space. Dave has already been very accomodating and is more than happy for the event to take place! Should be great.

Classes: Beetleweights, 1.36kg.

Time: Saturday, March the 3rd. Aim for 11ish for first fight so get there about 10 for weigh in and setting up the rounds.

Cost: Unknown at this point.

What to bring: Robot Workshop is fully equipt however please remember that we are guests so do not assume ability to go abuse powertools. Show up with robots *ready to go*. Not competing is not an option!

There will be a first place trophy for both classes, WORTH competing for! Very Happy

Totally random thought, but considering this space will now be home to R2D2 club, the Robots and Dinosaurs hacker group and Beehive digital manufacturing (at least for now), it would be really cool for the groups to all come in on the day and set up a little 'show and tell' on what they're about and some interesting thing they do. It's very rare to have such a fantastic opportunity for co-collaboration and would be a great primer for a possible future NSW Maker Faire. Razz

Last edited by dyrodium on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:17 pm 
andrew

first off thats the PLAN

we need to have a meeting with Dave and suss it out tho or something and get it set in stone

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:22 pm 
Gothie

And Im raising my hand to help with anything I can as well. Whether it be advertising or poster design. Anything. Smile

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Exciting!

Indeed I'll be working full time on the arena till the event. I don't know if we can get it 100% done in the time span but it can only get better/easier to assemble Razz

A vote for beetles only here. I don't think the multiple classes work too well at smaller local events and dilute the amount of entries in any one class, certainly on single day events with not much time.

We struggled to get through 5 rounds and the finals last event with ants and i thought the time between rounds was fairly respectable. Don't know if we could get ants in there as well. But if people can only commit to ants and not beetles then its worth doing. Thats my 2 cents lol.

Also as a public service announcement, ORDER YOUR PARTS NOW. If you get them from hobbyking they might arrive in time barely!

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

+1 to beetles only

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 pm 
andrew

ok guys update
Myself and Angus went to R2D2 builders night at sydney robot workshop to chat with Dave.

Over the next week or so both Beehive industries and the robo dinasaurs builders groups will be moving there equipment into the Sydney robot workshop space. Which means laser cutters, cnc equipment 3d printers and what not as well as the already well equipped workshop which is already there. Very exciting that all hacker space will be under one roof basically so alot of opportunity to learn new things from and play with some new tools.

Dave has given us the big old green light to hold the event. He is more than keen whether it be beetle only or beetle and ant or whatever.

So yeah time as a collective to plan/build for the day.

Will be looking at this as a public event with a large opportunity to get alot of exposure for us and Sydney robot workshop.

So date is now locked in 3rd of March,

Need to plan how to run this on the day.

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

*rips hair out* ohmygawd public event D:

Well I'm going out to get a quote on a huge pile of steel at edcon when they open up, but at this stage I am thinking for the cost of steel (~$200) The arena framework can be made from the ground up again in sectioned panels and our existing expensive pieces (wood / polycarb) put into that.

That way we are covered if it's not completed in time as we can use the old one, and we'll have a better arena if we do Smile

Anyway off to cad up a storm *rips more hair out* Build da... WEEKEND will for sure be needed at some stage Razz

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

build weekend involving a fishing trip Razz

but yeah converse on plans and things which need doing so i can liason with Dave/Sydney robot workshop on what the go is

Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:20 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

So the arena is rusted so bad it needs the steel replaced?

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:23 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

No no arena's okay. I was just thinking that remaking it in a more workable fashion would be just as much work if the cost was reasonable, which it isn't after i got the quote back today ($400 +) So this arena will be salvaged by default Razz

Ill keep you all posted as the work goes. Have already done a fair bit

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:04 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Just rule out the ants altogether i think.

Is there scope for lighting and general jazzing up the arena glen?

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

OK, ant's are out. Get building on those beetles! Cool

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:57 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Okay well, the cad of the arena mods is mostly done and the design largely sorted. Ill get the steel and start constructing next week.

As for lighting what do the filming pro's think on the subject, We were thinking of 4x 500w lights like we have now but having them in the center of each roof panel (there will be 4 equal sized ones) facing directly down.

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:14 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

OOOKAY. I think everything's under control lol, so who's bringing what? I'll only have killer due to the arena taking up all the time unfortunately.

Does anyone have Nathans (the builder of yonsai) contact info? Should see if he is interested in coming to this event Smile Or if he reads this. COME! Razz

Steve said he may come so we should all guilt trip him into attending too ;D

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:26 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
Steve said he may come so we should all guilt trip him into attending too ;D

Would have to be a hell of a guilt trip + bribe after the lack of NSW builders at nationals Razz

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 pm