RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

nerf time! / Spud guns
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

nerf time! / Spud guns

howdy! Token nerf thread time!

All my mates keep pestering me into getting a real nerf gun cause my maverick is a bit of a nugget, SO i was checking out a few stores today for the ones i got told were the best. They all seem pretty expensive compared to online prices, outrageously so. Sad I would have thought they'd be cheap at this time of the year.

Looking for a stampede ($110 at the local stores), longshot ($59 -i think, its the sniper one apparently) or a vulcan ($89) to do up as a prop Smile and shoot the cats as well, but thats a given XD

Anybody seen them cheap at the sales? I've heard all of them are available in stores for $40-50 sometimes. will keep up the hunt anyway Smile

P.S. your all getting shot at, at the ant event ;D

Last edited by Glen on Tue May 08, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Don
Experienced Roboteer

yeh I normally get mine from K-mart,one of the best ones i have so far is the clear version Raider CS-35 its pretty sweet big 35 shot drum mag Cool
the worst one ive ever bought was the recon cs-6 it was terrible.

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:56 am 
seanet1310

Kmart every so often have quite large sales.
At one stage last year they had the stampede for $55

I would not bother with the deploy, It is quite shit and likes to jam. Only good thing is the foldout looks kinda cool and the reload thing is up the front more like a shotgun then things like the maverick for easy ready for next fire that is good for the manual but the light sucks. It is basicly a recon internally but bigger due to a massive end (that i believe is good if you mod lots of space for massive springs)

The raider and stampede look good and seam to work well. Vulcan can be a pain to reload.
The strike alpha trooper is a good smallish manual action and the raier is the good bigger one, the massive raider drum also comes in handle for many other guns if you are having competitions.

The longshot from memory gains very little range over most of the other ones with a barrel end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

My next purchase will be an Alpha Trooper and then a Raider 35 dart drum to go with it from ebay. I'd just get a Raider but i dont like its aesthetics - it looks like a super soaker.

I also rate the Barricade, for $20 you get semi auto, get two and dual weild! My current fav.

For the same reason my 2nd next purchase would be the new Rayven - http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Rayven_CS-18 - hopefully all the barricade advantages but uses clips which makes reloading heaps easier and therefore it'll be greatly superior to the barricade in a nerf war.

Out of the 3 you mentioned, get the longshot. The stampede is dissapointing in rate of fire AND range AND accuracy. The vulcan is marginally better but is still uninspiring. However as a prop it's awesome.

You can voltage mod the stampede and the vulcan for rate of fire, which is win, but they will still have shit range and accuracy.

While you're at it, pick up a Nite Finder for $8. Huge power for a single shot pistol, can mod it to great effect as well

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:03 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

intresting! Sitting at a mates playing with his giant box of nerf and he's got a stampede barricade and longshot.

Longshot doesn't seem to go far at all (maybe its broken) but it is huge and the potential for an awesome prop is there.

Barricade is tons of fun but this one seems to jam if you fire heaps really quick, although you could mod the living shyte out of this thing Very Happy.

And i'm loving the stampede, rate of fire isnt too quick but the sound is awesome.

Decisions decisions, least i know what to look for now anyways hahaa D:

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Glen, for such an epic tightass and tinkerer, I'm surprised your not just making your own Razz Google up all the mechanisms and mods, then build your own version of it on the lathe/mill.

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

the Stampede has some modding potential if you dig it. Can remove restrictor (way more painful than usual tho) and put a beefier spring in, up to the limit of what the motor / geartrain can support. Then whack a lipo in the back (i put 3S in mine for now) for increased fire rate, lighter weight and longer life.

I decided to mod mine to the extreme max to help justify me having it. Just havent got around to it yet Razz

I just wish it would fire without the lag first

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:28 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Well on chrissy day my stampede jammed(prolly cause of the oversized lipo I put in it) so had to resort to my maverick...only problem was, it was no where to be found...so I had to sit and watch everyone else having wondrous nerf carnage...moral of the story..... keep your spare nerf guns handy and make sure your spare nerf gun is one that doesn't need f-ing batteries.....oh I found my maverick eventually..it was in a toy box hidden under toys...probably hidden there deliberately I reckon.he he. Also those little $3 sneak attack nerf guns turned out to pack some punch...after 50 pumps at point blank range they kill on the back of the neck!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I have the raider cs 35 its good.

I like the fact its more compact then other guns and the reload action is better.

Easy to mod. i took out the air restrictor but make sure you only drill or punch about a 6mm hole though as the air restrictor also help push the darts into the loading position and if you punch the whole plug thing out the darts may not load properly.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

From one fad to another, SPUD GUNZZZ Surprised

Put one together for a friend the other day and thought it was pretty nifty (just a crap old combustion one). So i scoured the net and found the plans for a pneumatic type that uses a shuttle valve which looked pretty cool so why not give it a go i'm thinking Wink

Heres my crude plans.

The outer tank is a bernzomatic propane can that i plan to completely empty, then bore a hole in each end for a 1/2" bsp tube to pass through which will be welded in to make an airtight seal.

The bsp tube will have some ports cut into it that allow air to pass from the tank to the valve tube. When the outer tank is pressurised the theory is that the force on each of the two O rings is equal so the valve (which can slide on a rod) wont open until the center rod pulls it backwards, which causes the tank air pressure to force it open rapidly and fire the cannon.

A video of the guts that might explain it better lol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3nI07mlQo

Should be pretty awesome me thinks and hopefully not too tricky to make. Will put up a report as i make it (if it doesn't kill me too obviously Laughing )

Post Tue May 08, 2012 9:50 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

WELL i did something productive for once (a shock i know).

The propane one is useless because the tank is much too thin. Under 1mm wall. The newer ones are supposedly much thicker, but eh. My interest in tiny guns is zero. So that's in the bin.

The concept will be revisted when this baby gets made. 6mm wall steel seamless tube and a 6mm thick pipe that will get run at 500+psi. The big tube is 105mm diameter for scale.

But yeah, i crumbled and wanted something now thus i made a good ole pvc cannon. Good idea me thinks, cause the bang for buck can't be beat! The design is a barrel sealing piston valve. Super simple but super effective too. The flow rate is second only to the original design i posted and a burst disk.

First step, chop up some pipe. The abrasive saw rocks for this. The finish is like glass ^.^

This reducer fitting needs to be bored through for the barrel to go all the way through it. Normally there is a ridge in there for the pipe to butt up against. Ill come back to this part cause it caused me some grief >:C (this is actually the replacement piece being re-done)

While gluing it together it was going good, if a lil messy. But the pipe went into the reducer crooked and it wouldnt seat into the T piece (should be flush). It was made way out of spec! blarhg?! Crappy bunnings parts strike me down again.

So that cannon will be made into a low pressure net launcher Razz In the end i gave it a test with a shonky valve made of more pvc pipe and it has quite a serious kick even at 40psi. This bodes well for the 100psi version >:3

I had to redo it all with a new piece that worked properly. The barrel protrudes a bit less than 1/2 way into the T piece and the piston will seal against it. More pics of that later. This glue is messy as hell so all the pieces got lapped and sanded smooth to ensure any stray glue didn't go where it shouldn't have. DID I SAY THIS GLUE IS MESSY?

Time to machine some delrin i got at the hackerspace for cheap. What an awesome material to work with. So easy to use and comes up with a perfect surface finish.

This is the rear bulkhead. I read the force of the piston slamming back into this piece caused pvc fittings to tear apart, so its being made from delrin. I need to machine the length of the piece so i put a spacer between it and the chuck and forced it in place with the tailstock that sits in a center drilled hole. Works sweet for stuff like this Smile

All done. Its a real tight fit in there plus it has an O ring to seal it up. Still have to drill the mounting holes around the edges to keep it there and drill the hole in the middle for the firing valve.

Next is the piston! I've seen some pretty ramshackle piston designs work just fine online. So this one should work great (famous last words lol). Its a big ole 55mm chunk of delrin with a neoprene washer bolted to the front. There's plenty of room to tinker with this too by adding o-rings, removing weight, adding check valves etc. So that should be fun Smile

The piston in place. I shaved it down incrementally by 0.125mm in diam each time until it moved through the bore when i blew into the back of the tube it sits in. Works very very awesome Smile The design basically allows a little air to flow around the piston to fill up the reservoir but when fired doesn't allow enough back through to stop the valve actuating if that makes sense!

Now the tricky bit. Getting it to seal which is a big problem with most peoples cannons. Just having a solid bit of rubber flat on the piston wont work well because the barrel is never perfectly straight, has been cut at an angle.. whatever. So i made the washer bow up at the edges a tiny bit with a funky cap so it should seal whatever the case.

A little stub for the washer to locate on -

The trick of it all. The little ridge in the middle when pressed down on makes the edges of the washer flex up. This is what the aluminium cap presses down on.

The cap.

M6 stainless countersunk holds it in place. The cap also helps center the piston into the barrel.

It works!

Also had to trim the diameter of the washer down a bit. So the test piece for demons self righter gearbox came in handy. Almost suspiciously so O_O

And here the new gun sleeps as i left it for tonight. All that remains is to bolt the end cap on and work out what to use to vent the pilot volume (that's what causes the valve to open). Current candidates are a 1/2" ball valve or a modified duster gun. Ill probably use the ball valve Smile

Oh and the data for the cannon. 400kmh for a golf ball doesn't sound too bad Smile There are guys out there firing them at almost 1000m/s with hybrid cannons that combust 150psi mixes of gas. Most interesting Cool

Anyway back to drinkin'. Test videos should be around tuesday if it doesn't kill me XD!

Post Mon May 21, 2012 12:48 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Did you use primer before the glue?

Post Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I did indeed. Plus the green pressure rated cement. Be nice if they made it in clear so it didn't look so nasty Razz

But powering on, got the thing working tonight in some capacity.

First job is to cook up the bumper for the piston to slam back against. Having it plow right into the end cap would be a recipe for disaster. This blue foam lathes surprisingly well Razz!

The bumper in the tube along with the finished end cap which has its holes tapped and o ring groove cut.

All the plumbing attached. The left bit goes to the compressor for filling and the right bit goes to an air duster to vent the pilot air (thus firing it!) No doubt this will all change.

All ready for her first date Very Happy

ANNNND it didn't work XD. All the pressure vented out the air duster and the piston only opened at like 2psi. So the leakage around the piston was just too much and the duster too crap to vent the pilot volume properly.

So i ripped it out and put an o ring on the piston to seal it, then drilled a 1.5mm equilibration port into the piston to allow the chamber to fill with air (cause the outside of the piston is sealed now)

And here's the first fire at 30psi. It blew a chunk out of the bottom of the 7mm plywood so that's not so bad. For the record i was well away when i fired it (with a 1 meter long hose Razz)

Now for the refining. I need to get some decent lube for the piston, hurrhurr, work out a much much better way of venting the pilot and make some support bits for it as well as building the 12v compressor into it. Then i'll carefully crank up the pressure to 100psi Smile

Post Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

awesome Smile

I built a similar thing with a smaller bore years ago (while looking at ways of firing pneumatic weapons really fast for Stealth) using a modified turbo blow off valve and a small fire extinguisher bottle.

It only has a 1" bore, but fired a superball immediately out of sight, and firing a wine bottle cork in the garage cause a lot of smashing sounds and metal objects left ringing, but no sign of the cork Smile

Post Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Haaha sweeeet Cool

More testing. 60psi shot without ammo. FWOMP!

30psi with a toilet roll. It flies out of frame (6 meters) in 2 frames. So technically speaking thats fooken fast Razz

Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:03 pm