www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QRSC - Original Featherweight nationals discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

assessed ...... will fix that now was typed on iphone.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:05 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well few details of what I am planning in my head.

Firstly event title will be changed to Australian Robowars Nationals and event will now encompass all classes.

Event will be 2 days and probably held @ Hackerspace venue, (this is of course if they are still willing to have us.) I would like to have insurance sorted so we can invite the public to come watch our event but this is also dependent on them having insurance as well.

Weekend might have a bit more of a HackerSpace open day feel, with Robowars as the main attraction. Depending on how keen they are for this idea I would like to see a few talks/demos from the guys presenting their current projects throughout the day. (Air Cannon Demo with crowd on other side of the polycarb arena for safety. )

I am also tossing up format of the event. Round robin is our current style which seems favored but I am considering double elimination particularly for the feathers.

Other things to think about are whether to run one day of feathers, then a day of beetles and ants. That is my preferred format atm but running feathers slowly over 2 days is another option and beetles on one day and ants on the other is another option. This ties in to the double elimination/round robin format as well.

I am going to keep the "Must show driving" requirement a few weeks before hand. This is primarily due to the rate of attrition of beetles we saw leading up to Serial Space event. If you can't make something that drives two weeks before its not looking good.

All members who supported the featherweight Nationals will be given a discounted entry fee for their bots if they decide to still come. Other competitors/classes will be given a sliding scale entry fee. For example entry fee for other feathers will start @ $40 for first week then increase to $70 at cut off date. Actual event fee will be calculated by when you register (PM me details) and rounded down to nearest dollar. You will then have 3 business days to pay and if you have not paid by then price will be re-adjusted. Bit of a screw around but rewards those who commit early.

Entry fees will be all going towards event, insurance arena upgrades, ect. Prizes I am not sure exactly what they will be yet. Would like to invest in something out of entry money but probably not cash prize will need to think of something cool which would be good.

Would like to setup on Friday morning and have pits area open from about lunchtime for people to arrive setup and do safety testing.

Also contemplating film crew for friday and event. (Also links to motivation for double elimination) Though this can probably just be faked.

Ahh not too much else I can think of off the top of my head.

I hope to have some concrete details by Friday. So bitch now about things I have said or deal with it. Wink

Steve

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:25 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think anyone really expects a big cash prize, something like those trophies that Angus knocked up for serial space would be great.

The roundrobin format is more flexible than double elim:

Working robots stay in the rounds even if they lose - you get more matches and there are more bots in the draw in later rounds.

If the event is running behind time, you can drop a round and still use the scores to have a finals round.

It seems easier to avoid fighting bots from your own state.

Having said that, double elim is preferable if you get a huge number of entrants.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

All opinions currently against double elim. Noted.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:58 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I totally prefer single or double elimination in the context of a public event. No one has a clue whats going on especially the crowd in a round robin system. Its just a random robot fight for all they care, and as the years have gone on I'm happy to concede some of the fairness in the name of making a good event for the crowd.

'Private' roboteer only events then yeah i do prefer round robin.

Perhaps its the drinking im doing tonight talking but wouldn't it be cool to try an event system like series 4 of robot wars with the 3x robots fighting per match and one being eliminated for the first two rounds. That'd totally stop the huge spinner wiping out half the comp in the first stages cause they can rather effectively gang up on the better robot. it happened heaps in that series. *goes back to watching series 4 robot wars >__>;;*

Id love to run something like that at one of my backyard events. HMMM... anyway enough derailment

Setting stuff up friday is pretty ideal for me personally. Getting everything setup and left there overnight is awesome. Just have to rock up and start fighting robots Smile

Dont really care about your other points XD just tell me when it is and where to send the money! Razz Ill show up with one of each money permitting.

quote:
This would then be assed by delagates from each club/state and a descision made for location.

Nearly spat my drink everywhere XD LOL. Best typo ever.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Guys
Most people have a functioning feather i would think. Couldn't we just register that functional robot for the comp..... that way we are certain to show?

Then if we want to do a last minute robot to replace the registered one...would that be ok?
thanks
miles

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:22 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Gotcha ...never thought of that.

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:36 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

miles/jules - the number of functioning feathers in NSW atm is extremely low - havent run them locally at all this year - but im hoping this event will correct this issue Smile

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:44 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Jaemus...ok ...but the ones that do work are great!

I would be a hopeless EO. he he hats off to all of you!
miles

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:47 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I have a small issue.

Conference I have submitted a paper to is on the 7-9th of December. Sort of causes a few issues with trying to organise event on 10th. I could potentially fly back Friday morning if I present on the first 2 days. However still means I will be very limited in the amount of setup and last minute stuff I can do that week. (As I will be in Melb)

So one of 2 things has to happen.
I need someone who can organise event setup on Friday, probably liaise with hackerspace crew and make sure that everything is ready for the following 2 days.

or

Need an alternate date. (Cricket is week before and Christmas is very close week after) So I would probably prefer the first option.

HOWEVER I don't really come back and find that SFA has been done or a half assed job.

Steve

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:10 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'd go for a week early - as long as we know the cricket is on early enough, getting accomodation is a bit more expensive but do-able. For what its worth, I have a stack of leave owed so I can easily arrive mid-week and help set up.

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:23 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What amount of space do you envisage setting aside for the pits? A dozen feathers with tools etc would take 6 tables at a guess. Would you have crowd viewing on all sides of the arena? Just trying to picture how everything will fit in.

WRT insurance, could we try asking the Hackerspace guys what it would cost to add the arena to their contents insurance? This might be a very cheap way of getting public liability insurance over the arena.

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:59 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh I am not sure what we are going to do with space there is quite a lot less than there initially was. Will definitely need a clean up. Main issues I can see is how we can get people to view into the arena as there isn't going to be too much space on either side.

As far as insurance goes. I am doubtful we could do anything like that. If the hackerspace guys ran robowars events completely independently of us then maybe it would be ok but otherwise you are just opening yourself up to all sorts of trouble if someone was to get hurt.

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:54 pm