www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QRSC - Original Featherweight nationals discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yeeee Wombot and Wanda will be entering!

We been totally broke so have had to wait a while to get our EOI to Steve. Don't get me wrong we are still broke...... but we all need to start putting in our EOI's as only a few more days to go!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Current tally is 10 out of required 16.

Just a reminder deadline is 5pm Friday.

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:28 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Can you list the registered bots?

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Team Overkill - 1
Daniel - 2
ISR - 1
Andrew - 1
Team Dyrodium - 1
Team NET - 1
Miles & Jules - 2
Glen - 1
Jameus - 1

If we don't make 16 I wouldn't be too worried guys. Wink Backup plan is already in the works. But may not be quite as public.

Steve

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:52 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Total Reached - 11

Due to our inability to form a sufficient field for the Featherweight Nationals they will be postponed until 2012.

I took the step forwards in calling it the "nationals" and setting a target of 16 robot but that is just my personal view of what we need to make a good public event. As we are just one of the 3 states who have active robot competitions and I think we should all have the ability to host the national event if we want so though I would put forward a structure on how to organise this for future years.

So the way I would like to see it work is we basically have a tender process.
Any state/club/organisation which would like to hold the event puts forward a proposal. These would be due by April and should include information on:
- Proposed/Candidate Venues
- Classes to be run
- Proposed Date and Duration
- Minimum/Maximum robot requirements
- Facilities to be provided
- Budget/Funding outline
- Any other relevant supporting information

This would then be assessed by delegates from each club/state and a decision made for location. The expectation is a 2 day robot event with at least featherweights in a Public venue. Weighting for the decision would be placed on previous location, along with the facilities and scale of event proposed.

After this the process would consist of an EOI or registration time (similar to previous event) and then payment of registration fees when minimum number is met. The registration process is expected to be completed by September at the latest followed by the event in October or November.

I am sort of sad to let go of the nationals goal but if not this year then hopefully the next. An alternative end of year event should still be held here in QLD but I am unsure if it deserves the name.

This also provides the only opportunity for date change, so if anyone would like to complain about it being too close to Christmas do so now.

Steve

Last edited by marto on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 pm 
seanet1310

Shame, Good try Steve. Out of interest who was the extra bot from?
Good to see you still intersted in hosting an event.

Sounds like a good idea for future nationals. I have sent a message to a couple of victorian's see if there is any interest in Victoria putting in a tendering bid.

Would I be right in thinking that each state would nominate and approve there representative ? (On a side note, to Victorians if we get active again I would propose forming a club to fall in line with the other states.)

Ill still be traveling up to QLD.
No problem with current proposed date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Last edited by seanet1310 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yes I was thinking just 1 person from each state to keep it simple.

Jameus - I added him to list.

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:59 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

This is just my persons p.o.v. Sean, so dont let it upset you.. I might be wrong.

But having been involved in many cloubs over the years and watched their workings, I consider them to generally be a complete waste of time that would be better spent elsewhere.

Either a few key peoeple have drive, skill and passion to get things done, in which case, a clubs forms, rules etc just slow them down and get in the way..

or amongst the members, you just have a lot of medioce members with little drive which the club disguises with its forms, regulations, meetings and proceedures, making it look like "Work" is beind done,

but it usually work that controbutes very little towards the goal of doing whatever the club is deigned to do, and more about the "work" of running the clubs various proceedural systems.

The one situation where a clubs formal environment is of *some* advantage is in the event of two strong-willed, yet opposed members butting heads over how something should be done. The club environment turns it into a "political" fight, where each manuevers politically to try to get more members supporting their point of view so as to carry votes, rather than just whoever has the strongest ego wins.

Other than that, they just suck up energy for very little useful output. (in my opinion).

Victoria a bit quiet at the moment ? Hell, you have the best scenario of any state of Australia setup and just sitting there waiting for you .. a battle-tested arena permanently set up in an open-access, insured, staffed public venue, with covered pits, workshop facilities, parking food and side entertainments, and not *1* person can pull their finger out enough to organise an event with any significant attentance ??

What that tells me is that all the roboteers down here are either lazy-asses who CBF'ed unless someone does it all for them (and have a habit of dropping out at the last moment), or else they have no idea how to go about organising an event.. and I have offered to instruct/assist anyone who puts there name forth as a front man to run the show.. provided they are going to stick at it and put on a few whilst interst *maybe* recovers.

but all I hear are excuses.. Joes moved here, Freds overseas, Im busy with School, Mary doesnt want to.. blah blah. Until that changes and someone gets the cojones to step up to the plate and commit to a series of events that happen, form all the clubs you like, I bet all that will happen is paperwork.

Vic could be turned around, but it needs someone with *drive* to take the wheel, or its just going to keep doodling about in circles.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Club in NSW/QLD is more of a formality. It is necessary to have insurance, get grants, ect ,ect. I don't think we have too many issues as we sort of get why the club exists and there is usually only 1 or two people who are organising stuff.

If you don't need a club for any of those reasons then there really isn't much point we existed fine for ~5yrs without all these issues but insurance is the big one which ravages you. And forces the "Club" to become incorporated.

Much more important than a club is motivated people who are interested in organising something.

@Brett Interested in a trip to Bris....

Steve

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:37 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:

Victoria a bit quiet at the moment ? Hell, you have the best scenario of any state of Australia setup and just sitting there waiting for you .. a battle-tested arena permanently set up in an open-access, insured, staffed public venue, with covered pits, workshop facilities, parking food and side entertainments, and not *1* person can pull their finger out enough to organise an event with any significant attentance ??

What that tells me is that all the roboteers down here are either lazy-asses who CBF'ed unless someone does it all for them (and have a habit of dropping out at the last moment), or else they have no idea how to go about organising an event.. and I have offered to instruct/assist anyone who puts there name forth as a front man to run the show.. provided they are going to stick at it and put on a few whilst interst *maybe* recovers.

All due respect, but i might suggest that you may want to sound less generally discouraging about it whenever it is mentioned, all seriousness and dedication is important, but you've never exactly made it sound appealing to anyone IMHO

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:37 pm 
seanet1310

Why would I get upset brett? it was just a small part of one post in a thread on an unrelated topic.

For the most part I agree, One potential advantage of a club and the main reason I proposed it was it may get people more interested again. No need to make it official or incorporated and if there is ever a public event something like the NSW robot fighting league does sound more offical, probably not but anyway.

I know what Vic has, It was not a post bitching about the lack of events in Victoria or the people and if you did read it that way sorry.

If this is even worth discussing it is a topic for another thread anyway. This is about the end of year event to be held in QLD and thus should get back on topic. (Mod feel free to delete this once brett seas it if you wish. Keep the thread clean.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Steve
Sad that we didn't get the numbers. Will still be good to have an event then, even if its not called the nationals. We didn't have 16 feathers at the edge last year, and me and Jules loved both events(even though we only competed in the November event).

Could we still do something similar? Are edge not interested in holding another one for public?

Ps ....thought it was a great idea on your part calling it the nationals. Made the pulse rate go up just readying that he he!

M&J

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just call it The Nationals regardless, plenty of other sports around the world that have national title events without the general public even being aware of it.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:11 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I giggle every time I say I'm the president of our club.

The americans have "World Championships" of lots of sports even though they don't let other countries enter.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:08 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That is one reason why you are a good president. You are not a politician. You just get in and run the draws etc and make it happen.

Steve is a great event organiser because he uses the private enterprise model, IMO. He talks and listens then he makes a decision. Steve is not a politician. He works very hard and is successful.

Committees, however, attract politicians and then good intentions get lost in red tape. I have seen oversight committees start with the best intentions and work well for several years until power hungry people find their way onto boards and the like. After that, it all goes down hill.

quote:
This would then be assed by delagates from each club/state and a descision made for location.
This might be a Freudian Slip.

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 pm