Announcing BotBitz.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Announcing BotBitz.com

Announcing BotBitz.com

http://www.botbitz.com

Cheap robot parts is something we all need! Over the past few years many things have come down in price but there is still some gaps in the niche supply for our hobby. One of the main areas which is missing is a fast and cheap supply of small gearmotors and ESCs for the smaller classes.

In order to fullfil our part needs Aaron and myself have been looking at some of these cheaper options and we have decided to also make these parts available to you. To start with this is some basic options for drives and ESCs for the Antweight and Beetleweight classes. The philosophy behind what we are doing is to provide relatively cheap parts without the lead times and uncertainties that come with buying from ebay and other international suppliers and most importantly to secure ourselves a steady supply of the robot bits we love to play with.

The site currently contains all the products we are intending to stock. These are incrementally coming in as our shipments arrive from HK and China. The ESCs are preprogrammed HK BESCs with the brushed firmware and the motors are the same small style gear motors we see in most of our ants. Currently ESCheap10s (HK10) and ESCheap10 Premiums (Plush10s) are in stock and ESCheap85s (TZ85as) should be available early next week.

But thats not quite it there is also a couple of other interesting products in development that we hope to be able to bring to you in the near future.

Cheers

Steve & Aaron

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:36 pm 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

wow this looks awsome good work guys

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:43 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Steve and I have been pushing this idea around for ages and we finally decided to give it a shot. We want to make it more affordable for anyone to get into the sport on a budget. I have 40 gearmotors on the way, they should be here in 2 weeks for anyone that is interested. Wheels and hubs to suit will be available very shortly, just waiting for an evening to complete a batch.

All of the parts we are selling are parts we use in our own robots, so this isn't a case of just finding cheap parts to palm out to everyone, we use what we sell (cause we buy them too!)

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's a great initiative, well done! Could you think about stocking the 30:1 HP micro gearmotors?

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

If there is interest for the 30:1 ratios, I can certainly organise some stock.
If anyone else is looking for the 30:1's, please post here. If not, Nick, I'll put a few on the next shipment just for you mate Smile

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Very nice! Well done guys, this was a pleasant surprise Smile

Might i suggest also the virtualvillage type larger gearmotors such as the 1000rpm 12v gearmotor that has become common for beetleweights? I have enough of those already to start my own store but you may find they sell well

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I looked at getting the 24mm gearmotors, but I honestly can't get them cheaper then VirtualVillage has them.

Another quick note to add about BotBitz, Steve and I will be bring parts with us to events, so no more purchasing $100 worth of spares before the event, just buy what you need at the event as you break them Smile

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:02 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, for $10 each, I will definitely need a few 30:1 motors - they work well but don't stand up to much punishment. Interested to see what you do with hubs and wheels BTW.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:05 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

you might be able to get a bulk discount from VV, and then stock them for slightly more than VV's price, but it should work out well as you will value add the shorter lead times and potentially cheaper shipping

but yeah fair enough, ive not had much trouble getting them from VV via their site or ebay

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:14 pm 
Vignesh

This is confuzing. Why is the ESCheap85 $65 when a Tz85a is only $38?

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:48 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Vignesh:

Include shipping costs, and then the cost of time and the equipment needed to reprogram and test the unit, then you'll understand the price.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:51 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Oh also don't forget absorbing the cost of DOA units, cost of keeping stock and the general support you have to provide.

If you still find the price out of your budget, you have the option of programming the controller yourself, the code and tutorial is available online.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:03 pm 
andrew

looks awesome marto and aaron

ill be keen to get two of the 85 amp controllers as im getting close to having new warning done and am thinking ive probably got enough parts to throw in its old frame for a second feather minus speed controllers so this is perfect

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:

Aaron is right; unlike most importers and resellers on Oz, they are actually adding value and providing a unique product. To buy something with similar function would cost you more money or effort, so by the rules of supply & demand, we are all getting quite a bargain.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:41 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Interested to see what you do with hubs and wheels BTW.

At the moment, the hubs are just 12mm diameter x 12mm wide bit of cutting board I am machining up with the mill + grinder combo (As per this post: http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69157#69157). They have a 3mm hole that is a press fit onto the gearmotors. I planned to put grub screws in, but I found it wasn't necessary. I'm fitting HK foam wheels to the hubs and then machining the foam down a bit to give it a larger surface area for more traction. I have run this combination on Kruger at the HackCage event and was happy with the setup. I have also installed these on the new Scarlet as shown below:

I am working on a liteflite replacement in sizes to suit antweights, but I'm still in the design / prototype stage.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:31 am