www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Supreme - QLD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
tetraPark

Team Supreme - QLD

Hi everyone,
new builder here, eager to get to know the fine folks here... Righto, enough chit chat. I was about to submit this order to HK, but thought I'd better put it to the crowd first: (btw, is 4WD feather)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16255__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_1_AUS_Warehouse_.html
(this rather than the orange, because this one allows for mixing on the computer and that might be handy for me)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18676__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_USB_Cable_for_Win2000_XP_AUS_Warehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__43416__Nylon_XT60_Connectors_Male_Female_5_pairs_GENUINE_AUS_Warehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15042__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories_AUS_Warehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__35475__Turnigy_nano_tech_2200mah_4S_45_90C_Lipo_Pack_AUS_Warehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19499
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__45679__Turnigy_9XR_Safety_Protected_11_1v_3s_2200mAh_1_5C_Transmitter_Pack_AUS_Warehouse_.html
(if anyone could tell me a better transmitter battery, please do. I don't know if this one will allow me to close the battery cover; not a big drama in any case)

Motors: 4x 18V drills (in a coming post)
Escs: 4x 30amp botbitz

Anything missing or just wrong? I wanna get it right before I drop a phat stack o' cash Very Happy

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
tetraPark

Here are the drills I've been able to scrounge together over the last few weeks (soz quality, I took this on my nokia potato-phone)
[/URL]

Most of the cheap 2-stage boxes have totally interchangeable innards, so spares shouldnt be a problem. I few random 2-speeds with incompatible gear sizes on the right.

Motors however... I've got
4x 18V
3x 14.4V
2x 12V
3x ?
Confused
I havent really thoroughly tested them yet to know how fast they run (they all do run, but are all junkers, so wear on brushes, coms, etc). I wanted to open them and clean em up, but getting into those cheap ones is a bit of an ordeal. Is there a technique to it, or just not worth the bother??? Should be getting a batch from ozitos in the near future, so those should be in better nick anyway.
Also got an 18V dewalt and Milwaukee (I'm not gonna bust open yours if I can help it Miles Wink ), don't know what to do with those.

So basically: gearboxes = I'm set, motors = not so confident. I guess I can try running on both 14.4 and 18 Smile Some spares would be nice though, so I'll keep collecting for now... Drill baby drill!

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:28 pm 
tetraPark

Here is the progress on the mecanum wheels so far. This is proof of concept for the manufacturing of the rollers and frame. Super early days. I hope to have a prototype using 2mm steel in a week or so.

It actually works really quite well. The rollers are made from that oogoo silicone+corn starch stuff. Is strong and grippy. Original pattern was made from paraffin worked on the mill, then plaster molds were made from that. Nothing too high-tech or fancy, but should be good enough when doing the real things.

I need to do a little math to get the wheels more efficient and compact, but overall, I'm really pleased with how doable it has been so far. Hopefully the electronics will be so obliging when it comes to mixing and the like Rolling Eyes All else fails, they're pretty...

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:57 pm 
Cpnwolfe

Starting to look pretty good man, that hk list looks the bits but I will let the more experienced guys give you some feedback,

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:55 pm 
andrew

that wheel...... DEAR GOD ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:18 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

loving that fleet of drills he he…

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7292__Rhino_750mAh_3S_11_1v_20C_Lipoly_Pack.htm

These work genius in the transmitter….doesn't look like they have em at the Aussie warehouse though. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:05 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Yep 750 same as I use

I get through multiple events without charging it, no need to try to squeeze a bigger one in there

Here's the writeup I did on it (you could find this through searching)

http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1522

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:21 am 
tetraPark

@Jaemus - Cheers, that guide will be handy!

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:26 pm 
tetraPark

Now I have all the stuff from HK, and escs (tz85's) from botbitz. So am now gingerly feeling my way around wiring. No smoke yet. Ended up getting 2 V-tail mixers from HK to give the channel mixing i'll need for the mecanum control. Tested the setup with two motors connected and it works fine, so I know control is possible. Speaking of mecanum, here is the latest progress.

(sorry bout big ugly images, don't know how to make em smaller)

Material is about 3.5mm mild steel I think (is from a truck oil pan), with alum tubing and steel self-tapping screws. This has been my first use of angle grinder... Sparky, noisy fun Twisted Evil Ran out of time last weekend to finish this prototype, and got distracted by aforementioned electronics stuff. Must be old hat for most of you guys, but its pretty thrilling putting something together and commanding it remotely for the first time; like some kind of magic. I will try to finish 2 wheels and a chassis in next week or so to do some testing of the concept.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Nice work dude.

Yep i get thrilled and amazed every time i hit the remote and the robot does something…..It is magic!

Are you planning for your silicon wheels to have a bearing in them to spin on the axels/bolts?

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:51 pm 
tetraPark

@miles&jules: yep, the pics not very clear but thinner alum tube is the axle, with slightly larger diameter alum tube lodged inside the silicone roller. Bearing surface is between the two Wink

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 pm 
Tim

Those wheels are looking mean........can't wait to see it all come together sounds like your getting pretty close Very Happy

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 am 
tetraPark

Hi guys, been a little while since posting. Been busy with other projects so I've slacked off my lil bot for a few weeks Sad Thought I should upload a few pics of my current state of development.

For the testing, good old red wheels. Still hope to have the mecanums done by feb. Main thing is that I still need to order a 4th esc from botbitz. My escs keep getting requisitioned for a uni project I'm working on, so maybe an excuse to get a few more. Wink

I've tried to make it as modular as possible; be able to change out parts quick and easy. The white plastic base will be replaced with steel or HDPE. Two such sheets will sandwich the alum motor pods with a cosy space between them for electronics (currently represented by tupperware). Armor will be some type of skirt outside of this... not really decided at this point. Weapons: not there yet.
Pretty happy with the motor pods, though I want to give the motors a bit more support for impact resistance. Any thoughts, plz comment Razz
Cheers

Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That sandwich construction is a good method - the skin adds plenty of rigidity for relatively little weight.

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:06 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

looking cool..they should work great ….the best wheel support would be on the outside of the red wheels as well..you could run a tapped tube from the drill through the red wheel and have it go to a bearing on the outside mounted to an outer shell…

but with 4wd you will get some milage out of the drills as they are... Thats what we used on Kojak and Pokey in sydney(just don't do 6 cell)….the tz85s will run two drills each no sweat, if you don't get the 4th one in time Very Happy Very Happy can't wait to see it in battle Very Happy

Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 am