www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Studying Engineering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Not exactly boring. Wouldn't mind getting into the electronics and micro processing myself. I'm currently planing on going to QUANTM in Toowoomba doing either Computer Games Programming or Multi Media Courses.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:51 pm 
DavidM

It maybe a good thing to have another thread that talks about our lives. I know Spockie is into gyrocopters and 70's coupes as well as the engineering stuff (and who knows what else). As an online community it would be good to find out what other people do and have done and want to do, what do you reckon, I think its time to spill the beans, as hardly anyone uses the profile information.

Any takers?

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:20 pm 
andrew

yeah for sure. i have many other things planned but robots thats for sure.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:37 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

*that* was informative andew.. Razz

Do people really want to hear about the non-bot related hobbies of everyone ? catch me on a chatty day and you might end up with another mega post.. Laughing

Open-interests include - Computers, Electronics, Tesla/Hi-Power Gadgets, Old-school-Hacker, Robots, Science & Quantum-type Physics, Freedom, Linux, Performance 70's Cars, GyroCopters, Go Karts, Trance/Rave Music and Parties, D.J., Graphic V.J., Drag Racing.

umm, that about covers it. anyone interested in details ? Wink

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

I would be intrested in picking your brain about Linux. Currently I am piss farting around it to try & take advantage of its real time capabilities to use as a CNC controller.

I have all the hardware & the software, I am just struggling with the operations of linux & the EMC (enhanced motor controller) software.

Eventually I hope to convert a mill drill, a small lathe & a profile cutter into CNC. Watch out then, custom machined ali parts for robots Laughing

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:03 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sure, what would you like to know about Linux ? I'm not genius-level with it (yet Smile ) but I'm pretty good. been tinkering with it since slackware v 0.1 came out..

If you are interested in DIY CNC, have you seen these guys ?
http://www.dakeng.com/ , they look quite promising.

(if this turns into an interesting DIY CNC discussion, I'll move it into its own thread)

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

Actually using a PC as a CNC controller is quite easy. The EMC will convert standard G & M code into step & direction signals that is pumped out the printer port. An amplifier is then used to convert these signals into a 12v feed that is capable of running a stepper motor. Mount the stepper motor onto the machine you want & instantly you have a very basic CNC machine, that will be still better than any human operator.

The drama is, there is no feed back into the computer from the stepper motor, so the computer assumes the motor did what it was told to do. If the motor stalls etc, the computer just keeps on pumping out steps, so by the time the motor continues, it could be 1,2,3-10 steps behind where it should be. Therefore the result is not what you want.

So now you have to add an encoder to the circuit & this is where the trouble is. I have not seen anyone that can get EMC to read the printer port for the encoder signals & adjust the motor accordingly. Some people have an external amplifier which can do this, but they are expensive.

The other problem is converting drawings into G & M code. I can do it manually, however it does take some time. I still have heaps to learn about the whole thing, but it is very interesting.

have a look at www.linuxcnc.org

When I can think of specific linux q's I will post them here & somewhere here. Thanks Brett.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:44 am 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

Now were really talking about the type of toy’s, I like to play with. It has been a few years sins I have played with a CNC mill or Lath.

When I looked into converting a mill, about ten years ago, there was a lot of programming required to get it done.
Now with some of the new motor controllers converting a mill or lath is not as hard as it would seem.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:54 am 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

Finally got this written. just a little post. NOT Shocked

My career path is different to Spockie, yet we started in a very simular manner.

I started in electronics like most doing the tricky dicky (Dick Smith Electronics) projects, and started with computers at tech school.

When I was around 13 years old, I enrolled in a night course at ‘Box Hill TAFE’ building test equipment (Can’t remember the course name.) Thanks to the folks for that. Smile
I did the night school for 3 ½ years (Stoped as I started TAFE full time.)

Then enrolled at ‘Box Hill TAFE’
First year of basic Electronics certificate (BEC), followed up by "Digital Electronics Technician Certificate"
This is where I met Spockie.

I consider that I have been very lucky with my career.
My first job after TAFE was with ‘GGT International’ (Gerber Garment Technologies) I was with them for 5 ½ years.
(Gerber consists of GGT, GST, GSI, Gerber Optical. In Australia were distributors for ICS colour systems (Now Data Colour).)
I started as a beach tech and after six months I started to do some fieldwork, 8 months later, I was a full time ‘Field Service Engineer’.
The equipment I worked on was high-speed plotters, Pattern Cutters (for cutting material for cloths or wings for the aircraft) computer design systems, colour matching systems, optical grinders, and the list goes on.
(Note: - When I talk about plotters, an A0 plotter to me, I would call a baby plotter.)
Toy's, Toy's and more Toy's Very Happy
Note: Managers & customers don't like you telling them, that their equipment is a toy Rolling Eyes

This job was one that I had to learn about everything, Computer systems, Networks, Electronics, Mechanical, production (flow, planning, etc), etc
The laugh was that I ended up working on more of the mechanics than the electronics and computers.

Personally, the ultimate job, plenty of toys to play with, and can always keep you interested.
Then there were management changes. Now I hate it when someone does something that effects, my work and I let them know about it. Some managers don’t like that Exclamation
For some reason, we didn’t get along, Wink and the opportunities to learn about the new equipment were never given to me. Sad

Therefore, I ended up changing jobs. With a sort 6-month, rest in between. Cool
I got a job with ‘Hawker Richardson’. I thought GGT had a lot of equipment, Hawkers was about double again.

This was mainly in the electronics industry. Installing, Maintaining, surface mount equipment, as well as training operators & Maintenance staff.
This was where the travel really started. (The start of the week was, go to the airport. Not as good as it sounds)

The equipment was Yamaha & Panasonic surface mount loaders, glue dispensers, Hella reflow ovens, Wave soldering machines, MPM screen printers, Vision inspection systems, conveyors / product handling systems, etc and there was also the Yamaha assembly robots.
New toys to learn Very Happy

This was a great job, but the hours I worked, and the amount of travel was getting a bit much. 2 ½ years at Hawker Richardson.

So it was time for a change and I started contracting in the IT industry. Most contracts were 3 – 6 months some longer.
I start out doing IT support and warranty repairs of computers, laptops and Printers. Then a contract as a Technical writer (wrote a set of SOE manuals), some other little IT based contracts, then I got a ‘Project Coordinator’ contract at ‘Coles Myer’ for the GST upgrade to the Coles stores.
First they got me to help with an upgrade to their ‘Kmart’ stores. I got an award for crashing the most servers.
Not my fault really, but that’s another story.
At Coles Myer in conjunction with the project manager, I wrote procedure manuals, set up test systems, coordinated the upgrade, etc.
I also had some other smaller contracts of various types.

After the Y2K and GST, companies had spent all their budgets for the next 5 years, and the recruitment industry was going through a major change, I ended up out of work for 12 months. Surprised

I finally got a job with ‘Schefenacker Vision Systems’ in Adelaide as a Manufacturing engineer.
(Schefenacker I hear you say. Use to be call Britax, and you would use their product if you drive an Australian built car. The side mirrors.)
Then due to company changes, after only being there for three months. My position changed to ‘Production engineer’, where I solve production issues, which could be anything from modifying a production line, to redesigning a piece of equipment, to working on product issues, and more.
Then the next project I was given was to implement an efficiency / reporting system for the factory. This is what I am still working on, but is nearly completed.

For the next chapter of my career is still to be determined. I am being made redundant as of the end of September, Very Happy so I am looking for a new job. (Not looking that hard, at the moment Cool ) Where it takes me and what I will be doing, I don’t know!

So as you can see. From simular (if not the same in some way’s) beginning’s as Spockie and my self, there are many paths that can be taken, and the course that is chosen doesn’t mean that is what you will end up doing.

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:12 am 
3Faze

Other Hobbies?

Archery, Abseiling, beer, cars and bikes, the stock market, computers, kayaking, Scouting (been in it for about 17 years now), music (listening to, also DJing, and I play guitar, bass and drums) and a load of other stuff besides, which is why it takes me ages to build a robot!

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:28 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

If you guys are interested i'm now looking at a Apprenticeship as a Fitter and Turner after all that lol. Still just looking though If I can find a good part time job I may still go into full time study but a apprenticeship sounds fun as I get to learn to work with metal the right way rather than trial and error

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:12 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

All the engineering teachers at my school say a fitter and turner is a fairies job, they recommend a Boiler Maker.

Take your pick, it's your life Wink

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

damn stuff boiler maker. thats almost as bad as an 1800's miner as far as jobs go Laughing

today i was reading about grinder safety on the net and came across this -

"a boiler maker was cutting a piece of angle iron with a grinder cutting disc when it exploded sending him back through the air 2 meters and causing extensive injuries to his arm" Very Happy

now thats fun work!

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:33 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Oh yeah, I just love jobs with low pay, poor working conditions and the possibility of serious bodily harm.. dont you ? Razz

If you're looking for good $$ and dont mind being out of touch for 2 weeks out of 4, I knew a guy who worked as a diesel mechanic out on the Offshore Oil Rigs..

Helicopter picks you up monday morning, flies you out to the rig, you spend the next 2 weeks working, sleeping and living out there, then they fly you back in again and you get the next 2 weeks off. <repeat>

Not many diesel mechanics get paid ~$60k a year for only working half a year though. If you ignore the fact that you dont get to see your friends and stuff for 2 weeks, then its sort of equivalent to getting paid $120k, since you still have the other 2 weeks to do your own stuff in.

Sounded alright, but he said it got a bit hairy out on the rigs when storms hit..

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:49 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

lol well don't worry I don't plan to stop at just a CIII level 21 years old is not the end but I think it's a good place to start perhaps plus there DESPERATE for them so not hard to get lol it’s one of the major skill shortage areas
Would have to get the right place though for sure

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:16 pm