RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

HSD Group - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
frogbiscuit

Post Tue May 10, 2011 10:34 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's a lot of motors for a featherweight! Are the two motors on each bogie for drive, or is one for positioning? Since all the bogies need to stay aligned, I'd be looking at one positioning motor and a timing belt to rotate the bogies in sync while saving weight and complexity.

Post Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 pm 
frogbiscuit

Oops, silly me. I drew one too many in my hasty cut-and-paste. Weapon only has one motor. True, still, that its a big pile o' motors and will need some serious Jenny Craig to get in under the feather wire. Solution: no armor. I'm relying on its many axes of movement to keep it out of trouble. Already had to toss some original design features, like clamping arms.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 7:53 am 
frogbiscuit

When the motors are driven in opposition, it steers, when they're driven in unison they drive. There's a facility to keep them aligned. Complex, yeah, I never did subscribe to the KISS principle.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 am 
frogbiscuit

Knightrous, dewd...
I'll take some of that Ryobi action. 6 motors, 6 gearboxes.
Thanks, send me private msg & we'll work out dinero.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 12:59 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Solution: no armor. I'm relying on its many axes of movement to keep it out of trouble.

Umm, you have watched a few of our videos, right? No armour and an aluminium frame could lead to a very short match against spinners - your bot will be very manouverable but at some point it will have to get close to your opponent and that's going to be dangerous with no armour. I like to see new bot designs and it would be dissapointing to have it broken in tis first spinner match.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:38 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

QLD or VIC you might get away with 0 armour. NSW no way. I am sure nick/glen will enjoy cutting your robot in half, probably literally.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Looks different Smile

What is the weapon anyway? is that a fancy name for a spinning weapon or a hammer type weapon actuated by a flywheel?

Hopefully you get it done by the next featherweight event! (which i have to look when that is lol)

Post Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
frogbiscuit

Yes, I've seen enough videos to know what could happen, I may well be headed for slice-and-dice. I got the sidestep shuffle, sure, but it only takes one false move.
I'm already up to 11 kg without batteries or weapon. Haven't started the gougefest yet, that might buy me some slack (whad'ya call it when you cut out chunks to lose weight?). See how it goes. Else, chop away, boys!
The weapon will be a kinetic hammer. A motor winds up a spring, trigger releases hammer. Now then... the more time to wind up, the more kinetic energy. I don't want it to take a whole bout to wind up for 1 hit, especially if I miss, nor do I want 100 little bitchslaps that are largely ineffective. What's good? 4 or 5 good hits?

Post Wed May 11, 2011 2:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Idealy, you want a few big hits to end the fight quickly. If you have only 2.6 Kg spare for batteries and weapon, you definitely need to do some pruning - the battery will be up to 500g and the weapon + spring + motor is sure to be far more than 2 Kg.

Rather than a spring, you might look at spinning up a flywheel for kinetic energy. If that's interesting, I have a link to an example on my home PC.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 pm 
frogbiscuit

Yeah, that'd be great. Never look a gift chicken in the beak, I always say.
You guys seem pretty smart, certainly experienced. My motto is "Dream high, aim low".
I'll aim for staying in the arena for 10 sec, then 15... if I gotta take my machine home in a swarfbag, so be it.

By the way, sorry I had to yoink that pic earlier, wasn't sure about permissions with that package.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 4:49 pm 
frogbiscuit

Doin' the math, weight for weight a spring holds way more energy than a flywheel.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 6:00 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I,m not sure of the math, but im thinking that a flywheel might be easier and faster to energise with a high speed motor. If you took the whole sytem with gearing, framwork, controls etc, the flywheel just might be more practical. Either option would be interesting to see in action!

This link is for a flipper, but the principle could work just as well for a hammer:

http://www.wa4dsy.com/robot/flip-o-matic

If you substituted an electrically operated clutch for the one in the flipper, you could easily use the idea for a hammer. Even if you don't use it, its an interesting read. I would substitute a brushless motor for more efficiency nowadays.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 6:36 pm 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

he also does a spring flipper that seems to work pretty well but I think its a bit on the heavy side, also ive been looking at using his idea for an axe plus making a smaller version for an ant.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Flywheel would be heavier tho>? werent we just saying he might not have leftover weight?

Post Wed May 11, 2011 11:23 pm