www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Question bout flippers.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Vignesh

Question bout flippers.

Hi guys! Im new to this forums. My name is vignesh or viggy. Ok. Im thinking about making a flipper bot. So far ive got 3 drill motors gathered. I have this 160mm stroke pneumatic ram. Its overall size (not extended) is 40cm. I was thinking about a toro style robot from battlebots. Is the ram too big? Id just like some tips on that. And can someone give me some links to things i would need to make a fp flipper. I was thinking a 20oz paintbAll tank or soda streamtank with mitre 10 valve. How would i join it together? Thanks guys. I will be goin to the 19th feb sidetracked event.

EDIT!!!: I meant to ask if the size of the robot chassis, 50cm by 47cm is too big.

Last edited by Vignesh on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 pm 
shreddy

Hey viggy, good to see you're keen and ready to get a bot sorted!
Ill be honest, I don't know much about pneumatics but definately read through this page:
http://www.teamdavinci.com/understanding_pneumatics.htm
to understand the workings of pneu systems and such.
The people to talk to about this sorta stuff I would say would be Daniel, Philip or assasin from the forum. If they don't see this thread you might want to send them a friendly message or something.
As a beginner I would reccomend you don't go for full out full pressure because high pressure gases are seriously dangerous. Mabye just build a lower pressure system for now and upgrade later once you've got your head around pneumatics.
Hope that helps! Smile

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Hi and welcome, Viggy.

I would recommend Woody's flipper calculator . Decide how far you want to throw your opponent, then work backwards to find what components you require. You will loose half the theoretical throw to friction, as a general rule.

Full pressure pneumatics give more kick for their weight. They are dangerous, but so is everything.

Let me know if you want any specific information.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 am 
Vignesh

HEy thanks guys. Ive read up on some of those links. And btw does anyone know how to find out the bore size of a ram:? ? I have no idea what a bore is . Im 14 yrs old still learning Very Happy

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Seen this? http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222

Bore is the internal diameter IIRC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bore yep it is Smile

A driving robot is probably more important than pneumatics but go along and have a look at sidetracked and you will probably get a bit more of an idea.

Steve

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:11 pm 
Vignesh

ok so im guessing that i have to open one of the ports (the place where the tubing goes into) to measure it or is there a easier way?

EDIT: O and how would i put together a system using the Soda Stream co2 bottles? Like would i need to get a valve, regulator. And could i use the mitre 10 solenoid valves with it?

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So I hope you are not trying to have this ready by the weekend.... As that won't end badly at all.

I think Gary played with sodastream stuff a while back. But not sure if he ran any bots with it. I think there was some issues with people running soda stream stuff as there was no safety relief or regulators... but it was a while back. Are you going to run a buffer tank. And I also doubt that some random regulator from mitre10 will give you the flow you need or hold up at the incredibly high pressure/low temps you get with liquid CO2. Also single soda stream canisters are an incredibly expensive way to run a CO2 robot, you really need a big cylinder and a way to refill them.

Running and building a CO2 flipper is not an easy task. Maybe consider a low pressure flipper first which you can get away without all the gear and if it blows up it will be hard kill yourself. (I am being serious here. If you run full pressure into a ram and the piston blows out I don't want to be the paramedic who attends that.)

Also yes 500x500mm is big. You will find it very hard to get any armour on that thing and keep it underweight. Before you go worrying about the weapon maybe go for driving first. Then add a drill lifter. Then maybe think about a flipper.

Last edited by marto on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

The coke bottle style flipper is pretty good. El bravo used to work pretty awesome as a flipper and its *relatively* safe.

Im sure there's some sites dedicated to making the setup, it was in a magazine a while ago. Will have a look a bit later on to see if someones put it online.

Hello as well Razz

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vignesh

Ok umm. Yea after reading up a bit more i thinki i might NOT make a full pressure flipper since i found out that my ram is only rated at 145 psi.. And i am not trying to get this ready by the weekend. This is a project that will hopefully be ready for next years event Wink. Just to clarify is the 160mm ram too big? And btw the valve is the one scarifier used(i hope its the right name? http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=764 http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=765 ) Im going to look into a coke bottle setup. Should i start off with a air setup (cokebottle as tank at 100psi?). And sould i make a chassis or should i just use armour as chassis like i think marauder did.
Sorry for all these questions. I need all the help i can get.

BTW i cant seem to create a design thats not at least 50cm wide T_T I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some ideas or designs for a flipper/lifter and fit it all in.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:20 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by vignesh1230:
Like would i need to get a valve, regulator. And could i use the mitre 10 solenoid valves with it?
Yes you would need a regulator to use CO2 at 145 psi. Paintball regulators are readily available. Aaron (Knightrous) was selling a 3.5 oz paintball bottle and regulator to suit a while back. I don't know if it ended up selling. The threads on the paintball bottles are slightly different to the threads on the soda stream bottles. It will be easier on you if you get things that just screw together.

If you are talking about the irrigation solenoid valves from Mitre 10, then no they won't work as pneumatic valves. They will leak. I used a 3/2 valve from a truck's pneumatic system on my low pressure lifter.

What is the outside diameter of your ram? You could probably assume a 2.5 mm wall thickness. That is OD - 5 mm = bore. (maybe)

Don't worry too much about your first robot. The next one you build will always be better. The Victorian guys will look after you at your first event. They won't go out to totally destroy you.

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 am 
Vignesh

Ok my ram is a square shaped thing. Ill post an image of it when i get back from school. Where can i scavenge the solenoid from the trucks(What part of the truck and where in victoria can i find truck scrapyards)? Also if u have an extra or spare i might buy from someone. I think the bore size is 20mm.
The ebay thing i got from. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250769299859&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 am 
Vignesh

Just got back from school. This is the info provided by the guy who sold me it.

clevis each end, 380mm between holes un- extended.

160mm stroke

16.00mm shaft

Body is about 52mm square.

Ram unextended is 40cm

12.5mm Cclevis holes

Goyen part number ISO40-A-C-160

Ok. Can anyone give me an idea to fit 2 drill motors, that ram and an arm into a robot? I was looking at Hellcat 1 and 2. What are the dimensions on them?

@Phillip: At http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45 They say that they work as pneumatic valve.

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 pm 
Woody

Goyen part number ISO40-A-C-160

ISO 40 mm bore -A-C- 160 mm stroke.

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vignesh

O wow thanks woody. Ive seen nearly all the pneumatic forums and u always post the most vital info!! Hey woody do you know how i could find the leverage in your calculator? The part where it says Leverage (ratio x:1)

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 pm 
Vignesh

Also... Is this valve any good? Or does someone have a 5/2 valve that i can buy from. Im on a tight budget so it has to be cheap.
Argh forgot the link Evil or Very Mad http://cgi.ebay.com/5-2-Way-Solenoid-Pilot-Pneumatic-Air-Valve-1-4-12-V-DC-/260414547159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca1eaa4d7

And Aaron... If you see this... Do you still have the paintball tank with the regulator to suit?

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:32 pm