www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Reprogramming Brushless ESCs - Complete - No Support Offered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Author    Thread
8645t

connected 6s lipo straight to the red black wires dead bec ? where do i cheq for that if i can ask that cheers
john

ps ill cheq see if theres 5v on the red wire and let you know

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:58 am 
8645t

no its not that the bec lights and binds up with the reciver

John

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:59 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

TBH without seeing it and without being familiar with the hardware you are using to program it I am not sure I can really be of much more assistance.

Steve

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:43 pm 
fryfrog

I just wanted to say thanks for this project. I'm in the planning and part acquisition phase of adding rc control to a power wheels car for my kid and being able to use a cheap speed controller is going to be fantastic. Not to mention how few brushed controllers even exist.

It looks like you're still pretty active here, but the code hasn't seen much activity since 2011. It also looks like the binaries available are slightly older than the tagged stable branch (1.0 vs. 1.1, w/ a few months difference). Is there any good reason to compile your 1.1 tag myself or should I just go with the r40 binaries you already made? I'd be using the TZ85A if that matters in any way.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:37 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Only reason is to turn off temp cut off which is a little conservative.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:03 pm 
fryfrog

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
Only reason is to turn off temp cut off which is a little conservative.

A couple of follow up questions now that I've had time to think:

Is it possible to read the current programming / firmware before flashing so that I can go back to a brushless controller if I want to for some reason?

Is it possible to set it up so that I can both use and *not* use the brake feature? For example (and in percent), -100% to -10% is reverse, -9% to -1% is brake, 0 to 10% is no brake and 10% to 100% is forward?

Does that make sense?

Basically, my goal would be to have a brake pedal and a gas pedal. When pressing brake, the speed controller would be in brake mode. When not pressing brake *or* throttle, it would be in no-brake (coast?) mode. Did that make sense? Is this something that would be possible?

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Would be easier to do you brake pedal type thing in a micro controller instead of trying to handle it in firmware. This would allow you to implement a lot of other features and just leave the ESC's up to driving the motors.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 pm 
fryfrog

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:
Would be easier to do you brake pedal type thing in a micro controller instead of trying to handle it in firmware. This would allow you to implement a lot of other features and just leave the ESC's up to driving the motors.

You're totally right of course and I'll be using an Arduino to take the input from a variety of things and control the ESCs via PWM. But my understanding of the brake feature built into an ESC is that it simply bridges the connection which makes the motor very hard to turn. So it is something that the ESC pretty much *HAS* to do. It is a setting that is only meant to be occasionally changed. You either have your ESC setup to do braking and reverse or go straight from forward to reverse. What I'd like to do is have forward, coasting, braking and reverse all based on the signal sent.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:22 pm 
daliad100

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know)...

If I were to detach the back emf detection resistors on a sensorless brushless esc, attach an external sensor capable of providing a signal when stationary (hall or optical) to these points and run stock code the motor would behave like a a sensored one.

Might save a bit of money on bigger brushless motors and controllers and make for faster direction switching.

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:03 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Thought about it. Wouldn't work with stock firmware but you could write sensored code for it.

Steve

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 am 
fryfrog

So I got my pair of tz85s from HK and flashed one of them and started testing it with a multimeter. It looks like it is working, but needed to be reversed and seems to go from 0v - 20v (5S battery) while I was expecting it to go something like -20v - 0v - 20v (reverse).

Then I went digging for a manual and realized you guys are no longer developing the firmware opensource.

Is there a manual or post describing the features in the last .hex that is available?

What features are available from the TZ85s in your store that aren't in the opensource?

Do you accept mailed TZ85s and flash them with your latest for a price (say, whatever your normal profit on one is)?

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:19 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Are you measuring between the two outside wires? If so the latest hex uses the internal wire and one of the other two.

Don't remember which one off the top of my head. See the tutorial.

Steve

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:44 pm 
fryfrog

I was using your video as the guide, I've heat shrinked off the wire that is opposite the negative (black) input wire, so I'm using the middle wire and the one opposite the red wire.

I think I found the manual I was looking for, http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68169#68169 so I guess I need to hook a motor up to it so I can hear the beeps! Smile

Or maybe it was removed... http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69173#69173 ?

Last edited by fryfrog on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:53 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

This was removed in later hexes, I have no idea what version it was in. It was difficult to navigate and didn't always work properly.

Steve

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:02 pm 
fryfrog

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
This was removed in later hexes, I have no idea what version it was in. It was difficult to navigate and didn't always work properly.

Steve

I've still got another ~20 pages to plow through, but am I correct in assuming it'll do forward and reverse? All the posts so far seem to support that assumption. It looks like I should be at 0v at middle stick and 20 or -20 at full stick in one direction or the other. Right? I might have to leave the stick in the middle for a moment before I can go reverse though.

Current behavior instead seems to be 0v at full stick in one direction with 20v at full stick in the other.

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 pm